Physical demands/intensity of Prudhoe Bay/Coldfoot Cruisetour?

kappellof

My Dad and I are booked for a July Princess Cruisetour to Anchorage, Prudhoe Bay, Coldfoot, Fairbanks, and Denali. We're following the land portion with a southbound Whittier to Vancouver cruise.

Dad is 93, and in relatively good health for his age. He walks with a cane, and I've noticed recently that he's walking much slower. We've cruised extensively and I always try to make his trip as comfortable as possible. One example is ordering a wheelchair for embarkation and disembarkation. Once on the ship, of any size, he easily rambles around using his cane.

He's bubbling with anxiety over the upcoming trip, especially visiting the remote locations and "wilderness" of Prudhoe Bay and Coldfoot.

I have noted the first few days of this tour includes long bus rides and we're prepared for the remote locations and lodging we will be staying in for the first 2-3 days. I'm expecting Day 1 out of Anchorage to be exhausting because Princess has arranged for a 6 am flight to Prudhoe Bay, followed by an afternoon of touring.

Yet I have to ask those of you who have been to these locations or have taken a similar tour if the intensity or demands of the tour might be too much for the average 93 year old. Are there any obstacles, demands, or things along the way that you can tell me about? Any recommendations?

I've already requested a room assignment at Denali in one of the lodges close to the main facility and restaurant. We stayed at the Denali Princess 2 years ago and know how spread out it is. I know nothing about the Fairbanks Princess facilities - we've never been there.

Any advice, suggestions, or help is appreciated. Thanks.

We did this tour in reverse in June 2009, ending up at Prudhoe Bay on the summer solstice, and had a fantastic time. There were 26 on our bus, the youngest being our then 16-year old daughter, and most older than us (I was 46). Several passengers were elderly and walking with canes, and I think one man was around 90.

The most difficult thing you're likely to face is constantly getting on and off buses. He will need to be able to climb the bus stairs using the handrails. You will also need to walk on graveled surfaces and there may be mud in some places depending on the weather.

Touring at Prudhoe Bay involves a bus ride around the oil fields with a stop at the Arctic Ocean. You're not going to be outside on your own as there's really no place to go, and if bears have been sighted nearby, you'll actually be asked not to leave the building. You don't really have to do the tour of the oil fields that first afternoon. If your Dad needs a rest, there's no reason he couldn't wait in the tour meeting room or the cafeteria or even the hotel room if it's been assigned by then.

In Coldfoot, you walk across a truck parking area from the trailers to the restaurant. It's not far, but there can be ruts and mud, again depending on weather.

All the other stops along the Dalton Highway are really optional. If you don't feel comfortable walking down to the sandy edge of a river, just stand by the bus (or in the bus) and enjoy the view from there. There are frequent stops at outhouses, but I can't recall any accessibility problems there.

The hotel we stayed at in Fairbanks had hallways with interior doors, not like Princess Denali with the many scattered buildings. Princess uses several different hotels in Fairbanks though.

It sounds like you've been to Denali before and are probably familiar with the Tundra Wilderness Tour buses and their facilities.

The train to Anchorage has steep narrow stairs to get up to the seating area, and down to the dining area.

Otherwise, there's just the issue of endurance. It's a long trip with a lot of bus rides.

Don't sweat it. At 93 he'll do just fine. And if something happens and he croaks while he's on the tour at least you'll know he was having a goodtime when the end came. I'd rather die doing something like that then laying in bed. Encourage him and enjoy the time together. Don't sweat the small stuff.

I don't say these things lightly either. I've seen a number of old people die on their trip-of-a-lifetime to Alaska. Did CPR on one right at the security gate to board Alaska Airlines in Ketchikan. He was 87 and had just spent four days fishing out of Clover Pass Resort. We worked on him for 30 minutes before the fire department could get there with the ambulance. Got a very nice card and letter from the family a couple of weeks later. They thanked us for trying to save him but most importantly they said they were thankful that he got to take that 1 trip he had always wanted to go on.

My Dad and I are booked for a July Princess Cruisetour to Anchorage, Prudhoe Bay, Coldfoot, Fairbanks, and Denali. We're following the land portion with a southbound Whittier to Vancouver cruise.

Dad is 93, and in relatively good health for his age. He walks with a cane, and I've noticed recently that he's walking much slower. We've cruised extensively and I always try to make his trip as comfortable as possible. One example is ordering a wheelchair for embarkation and disembarkation. Once on the ship, of any size, he easily rambles around using his cane.

He's bubbling with anxiety over the upcoming trip, especially visiting the remote locations and "wilderness" of Prudhoe Bay and Coldfoot.

I have noted the first few days of this tour includes long bus rides and we're prepared for the remote locations and lodging we will be staying in for the first 2-3 days. I'm expecting Day 1 out of Anchorage to be exhausting because Princess has arranged for a 6 am flight to Prudhoe Bay, followed by an afternoon of touring.

Just a couple of items:

As previously posted, "touring" at Prudhoe involves a trip around the oil fields and a stop at the Arctic Ocean. IF they offer the very, very excellent BP presentation about how the pipeline works, how the oil is drilled, how close we are to drilling in ANWR (less than 20 miles horizontally), how environmentally pristine the area is, etc. etc. GO. It is truly excellent.

There will be plenty of free time for naps. There isn't much to do and most of the tour passengers I have seen merely sit in dining room and eat and talk. But-go outside about 10PM to midnight. Short walk around the buildings will allow you to see the massive amount of caribou that come in every night to lay under the pipeline for the warmth to sleep. Another special experience.

Go to the store which is also the post office. They have some pretty good souvenirs and some good stories to tell. Be prepared if you buy anything to eat-last summer-Townhouse Club crackers and a can of spray cheese-$18.79. I have watched it almost double for the same stuff since I made my first trip to Prudhoe in 2002.

MAKE SURE you go to the absolutely excellent Ranger presentation in Coldfoot. Across the road from the truckstop restaurant on dirt/mud. Not a far walk (1/8 mile maybe) but could be tiring so take it slow.

Enjoy-I go up almost every year (my ex safety director is the asst safety director up there, so I go to visit him and enjoy the spectacular scenery).

It is not an intense trip at all. Hours of bus riding but other than climbing on and off the bus, easy stuff.

There are medical facilities at Prudhoe Bay but very little to nothing along the way south. I agree with GreatAm and bearbait on what they say.

Thanks to the popularity of Ice Road Truckers, more folks are interested in seeing what is up there.

Do the tour and have a wonderful time!

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and advice. I also agree with "bearbait" and would rather Dad dies suddenly while he's at least happy. I've learned to stand in the background and let him pretty much do what he feels comfortable with. If he extends himself too far he usually knows it.

I have another, possibly unusual, question about the "Arctic Caribou Inn" and Deadfoot. It's my understanding they have a strict no-alcohol on the premises sign that's primarily for the oil workers. The sign apparently says that those who are found with alcohol will be asked to leave the premises. Dad likes to carry a small unbreakable bottle of whiskey in his suitcase for his one drink before dinner, and I usually carry a half bottle of wine. Can any of you comment on this? There's certainly no information in the Cruisetour Answer Book or the summary of our tour. Thanks!

I have another, possibly unusual, question about the "Arctic Caribou Inn" and Deadfoot. It's my understanding they have a strict no-alcohol on the premises sign that's primarily for the oil workers. The sign apparently says that those who are found with alcohol will be asked to leave the premises. Dad likes to carry a small unbreakable bottle of whiskey in his suitcase for his one drink before dinner, and I usually carry a half bottle of wine.

I feel rather silly saying this, but it's Deadhorse and Coldfoot. Yeah, we really know how to entice visitors with our town names up here! :D

Two words for your father's nightly nip: mouthwash bottle. And it'll make him feel as though he's getting something over. As for your 1/2 bottle of wine, I assume you can go without for a couple of days? Leave it behind out of solidarity for the workers up there. The sacrifices they make so we can all roar around in our SUV's!

It won't hurt me to not have my evening glass of wine for the 2 days in Deadhorse and Coldfoot and in fact I'll not purchase the planned 1/2 bottle. I'll have to gently discuss with Dad that he needs to leave the fifth of whiskey in his suitcase and not out on the counter where visible;>) But I did find out interesting information for those who might be wondering and reading this post in the future.

If flying Alaska Airlines to Prudhoe Bay, and according to their website, alcoholic beverages can be shipped in the checked baggage. There are limitations to the amount of hard liquor -refer to the Alaska Airlines website. Alaska Airlines also has a website pointer to a document on the Alaska Beverage Control website listing the dry counties/towns/etc, including where there's a state violation just to possess alcoholic beverages (didn't want Dad to get arrested..!) Prudhoe Bay, Deadhorse, Coldfoot are not on that list. I'm then assuming it's a local situation with the Arctic Caribou Inn, and I *fully* understand and respect their reasons why - so please don't send any darts my way.

Archived