Land Rover Jungle Tour with Cave

gkjta

We are going to be traveling to Belize in February and thinking about doing this tour. I've read older reviews but wondered if anyone had done this tour in the last 6 months or so. It is rated a 3 on NCL's excursion list which is pretty high considering I'm not sure that I've seen a 3 on any of the other excursions listed for all the ports on this cruise.

Just wanting to know what makes this excursion a 3.....I know it's dirty, bumpy, speed boat can be bumpy, know the cave has a bit of squeezing and climbing in it. We are in our 50s....we like active excursions but don't want to get in over our heads...I would classify us as medium fit - not couch potatoes but not going to run a marathon tomorrow....

Anyway - any feedback would be helpful.....Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there!!

We did this excursion last July while in Belize on the Legend. Every other day we were at a beach and since Belize really doesn't have any beaches my husband thought this looked completely different and something that our (at the time 8yr) son would enjoy too. It was the COOLEST day of our trip and the one that really just sticks out for all of us because it's totally different from anything we would do here at home. I will tell you to try and get on the 2nd group that leaves for this excursion vs the first and I will explain why.

You have to tender into the port of Belize, which is pretty small compared to other port facilities, and wait in that area for the rest of your group to all get there by the appointed time. Once, it's time to leave your guide will lead you out of the back of the port facility and towards a large bus that will most likely make your eyebrows raise a little and ask "really?" They will drive you through the city and talk about what you are seeing for most of the trip to the jungle. You will pass through a military/police check point at the edge of town where the guide will tell you it's just a license/registration check, but it's really them looking for drug runners as they are holding loaded M16's right there the whole time. Once you get to the area in the jungle where you will meet your guides to take you over the large suspension bridge, up the trail and into the cave you will exit the bus to get your next instructions. Meanwhile the first group is loading the bus to go back to the port to tender back to the ship (Remember earlier when I said get in the 2nd group...). You will be given a headlamp and told to use your bug spray (the mosquitoes are HUGE!!!). They swing buckets of a local nut they smoke the whole time because it's a natural bug repellent. It's not the best smell, but it works because we did not get to bitten up. Let me say right here that the covered shelter where there are tables and they serve drinks after the cave exploration, bathrooms and guides were EXCELLENT in our opinion. Very nice and fun to be with. They tell you all about how the different tree bark, leaves etc can be used to help various medical issues etc. To get into the cave you have to manuever rocks as make shift steps to get up into. The guides are there to assist everyone and lend a hand up and down so it wasn't too bad. If you really don't want to have to crouch down and crawl through the area when you get to that point you don't have to. One of the guides will stay with whoever prefers to stop at that point and just head back to the entrance of the cave. It just loops you around anyway to where you started so you aren't really missing much. We saw lots of stalagtites and stalagmites, some freaky spiders and fruit bats...not my favorite things. My son thought it was all cool! After you get back from the cave you have about 30mins or so to potty and get a cup of ice and drink of your choice (Coke, Orange Fanta, Sprite etc..). They will split you up into small groups of like four or five to drive the Land Rovers back out of the jungle (through mud holes) out onto the highway and back roads to a beautiful orange grove where you will have a Belizean style lunch. The lunch was really good (creole style chicken, rice and beans, slaw and drink). This area was sooo pretty! After lunch you will all board a 45ft speedboat to head up the Sibun River which opens up to the Caribbean Sea where they will pull right up to the ship and drop you off! Talk about service with a smile. The boat ride was speedy, but surprisingly REALLY smooth was not bumpy at all. It was a great trip because you get to do it all...jungle, bus, land rover and boat. If you think you might be interested I doubt you would be left disappointed at the end of the day.

Thanks for replying. Sounds like great fun. I'm still not understanding why it is rated a 3 for activity - seems no different than several other excursions that I've read about activity wise. I definitely think we're going to give it a shot. Thanks for your review!

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering the same thing about the outside vendor. We are sailing on the Dream Sept 2012 and this is the only excursion we are looking at booking that doesnt include a beach break. Seems like sooo much fun. I was just wondering if booking it via outside company would be a little bit cheaper.

Would love to know if that is possible.

Thanks,

shani

• 4 weeks later...

I did this tour through Carnival. Got picked up at the ship in an open air boat that accomodated about 30 people. Great trip uup river.

Got to a park and into Land Rovers for a drive up roads then dirt to the cave site. Walked across the suspension bridge and into the cave. You have to be able to get under something with about 3.5 feet of room.

Then we had a simple lunch of beans, chicken and cole slaw with all the rum punch you want. After lunch we boarded open air busses to go back to pier with all the rum punch you want.

It was a blast! I'm doing it again in September.

Take bug spray, you'll need it.

• 4 months later...

My husband and I are even more excited now about this excursion even though the cave scares me to death!!! We're doing the Dream in Feb 2012 and I know this will be the best excursion we've taken yet even though driving the dune buggies in Progresso last year was pretty cool too! Thanks for all the info....packing the bug spray as we speak!!:D

My husband and I are cruising next weekend and this is the only tour we were looking at. We heard recently that we shouldn't leave the port as it has become very dangerous lately with kidnappings. Has anyone heard anything about that? This information has helped tremendously. We are looking at an outside vendor but I don't think we can post the name here. Thanks for making our decision easier.

My husband and I are cruising next weekend and this is the only tour we were looking at. We heard recently that we shouldn't leave the port as it has become very dangerous lately with kidnappings. Has anyone heard anything about that? This information has helped tremendously. We are looking at an outside vendor but I don't think we can post the name here. Thanks for making our decision easier.

I have this whole safety issue thing going and I think I would rather book through the ship for a little bit more than book through a vendor directly, especially if there are kidnappings. They say they really thoroughly screen the vendors for the ships so.......... Just saying, that's all.

Archived