First Timer with MSC! Please Help!

Kian

My family (DW,DS 4yr,DD 2yr) are looking to take a cruise perhaps later in the year to the Mediterranean with another family, with also 2 kids the same age. He told me to look into MSC. Please advise me how MSC compares to other cruise lines. Or what the main differences are positives or negitives. We've taken almost all mainstream cruiselines except this one. Also, is it true that kids under 11 yrs cruise free? (on all MSC cruises?) Any opinions will be much appreciated!

We are also looking into MSC ) as an alternative to RCCL and Princess which we have cruised with before) as they seem to be less expensive - we thought we could use the saved money for better excursions in port.....

My husband and I are late 50's and our daughter is 23. I've always wondered about MSC with all the "free kids" ads, there would be more young kids and less of the type of RCCL/Princess group we're used to?

(although we did look into Disney which seems not to be going to Europe in 2012!)

MSC Cruises is really very family friendly all the way. Go for their flag and wow factor ships MSC Fantasia or MSC Splendida, both doing 7 nights western Med itineraries. The ships are of the same size as RCCL's Voyager Class ships and has plentiful of activities for children.

Se this great video:

My parents just disembarked from their Mediterranean cruise on the Fantasia. I called them in their hotel in Italy just to check in, and couldn't get them off the phone they were raving so much. About the ship, the food, etc. Their sole complaint (and that would go for most cruises, I'd think) is that port time is pretty short, but they're the sort of people who want to see everything so a few hours is nothing to them.

They've never been on a cruise before so I can't tell you how it compares to other lines. But they are well-travelled through Europe and enjoy good food, so I'm happy to take their word that it was good :)

We are also contemplating a cruise on MSC Opera... we have also cruised on just about all american cruise lines and would be interested in comments on differences from US cruisers..

We also have concerns about the recent problem and cruise cancellations on the Opera..

Thanks

There are definitely some measurable differences between MSC and mainstream American lines, not to our liking, mostly in the food quality and professionalism of the upper staff. (Cabin and service crew were great, Mai·tre d' would not qualify as dog catcher, front desk needs charm school).

We too, experienced shortened port times with MSC similar to those currently being reported on the European cruises, (but we were in the Caribbean) so I would check them carefully before booking and see if they are acceptable to you. Port times and what particular day of the week in port can make a huge difference to a European port.

Personally, we feel the mainstream "American" lines suit us better, we have traveled extensively around the world, just completing 2 weeks on the ground in China, we know good and bad when we see it and there are better lines out there.

Read the reviews, where there is smoke there's fire

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little disappointed from the lack of recommendation from seasoned MSC cruisers here. I'm pretty open minded to try new cruise lines, but it needs to have something to attract me. I guess back to the drawing board while still deciding...

Kian - Please read my review from yesterday, it will answer some of your questions on kids.

YES, kids 10 and under cruise free. We had to pay $99 port charges/taxes for each, but that was it. Much better than half the 1st/2nd person rate most ships charge. That was a prime reason we chose it.

Also, they didn't charge tipping/service fees for the young ones like other lines. I figured that saved more than another $100.

All that said, the reason you aren't getting responses is there are relatively VERY few Americans on MSC (or on this board for that matter!) I posted on the role call 3 times for our ship and couldn't find anyone else to share excursions! We had always done that on US ships, even overseas. When I got there, I figured out why. MAYBE 10% of the cruisers were from the states, and I'd guess only 20% of the ship spoke English. When my kids were in kids club not another child spoke English. I didn't realize how much of a minority we were in until I was on board.

If you go in with expectations that are appropriate, you will have a lot of fun and save a lot of $ :) . If you expect it to be like Carnival or NCL, you might not like it. It was a good lesson for our kids to learn the whole world doesn't revolve around the US.

On our ship it was late May and most EU schools weren't out yet. I saw an average to slightly below average number of kids. Maybe 10 in kids club (ages 3-12) at any given time.

When we dock near an MSC ship in the Med I can tell the ship is full of French and Italian retirees. I'm French-American, I've lived on both continents, speak all 3 languages.

MSC ships do look very nice, but it would be quite different from the standard American cruise experience, but I can't tell you how since I haven't tried it.

Personally I like to get away from French and Italian retirees on vacation. Oops, did I really say that?!!!

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little disappointed from the lack of recommendation from seasoned MSC cruisers here. I'm pretty open minded to try new cruise lines, but it needs to have something to attract me. I guess back to the drawing board while still deciding...

It's just business.

MSC is definitely different, we haven't seen any significant pricing advantages over the more mainstream lines that we prefer to try them again, but we don't cruise with young children either.

Ask you can see, we are all over spectrum in the lines we sail, and if MSC fits your budget I would certainly consider them.

At times, Carnival fits our budget and plans and a lot of people don't care for it but we know what we are getting and feel it's a fair value at the price point.

We don't really consider NCL anymore, not too happy with the ones we took but NEVER HAD A BAD CRUISE!!:D

I can't warn enough about the port times and days of week, on NCL our Copenhagen stop was like 9-2.00pm on Sunday, not a good time for a predominately Christian port. We got "stuck" with NCL when another line pulled out on Europe and all our airfare and hotels/plans had been finalized and the itinerary wasn't near as good as our original, we had 2 sea days back to back at the end too, and I was bored to death.

I think the ports are more important than the ship anyway.

When we dock near an MSC ship in the Med I can tell the ship is full of French and Italian retirees. I'm French-American, I've lived on both continents, speak all 3 languages.

MSC ships do look very nice, but it would be quite different from the standard American cruise experience, but I can't tell you how since I haven't tried it.

Personally I like to get away from French and Italian retirees on vacation. Oops, did I really say that?!!!

You are correct, the behavior of the predominate passenger mix on MSC is a whole 'nother subject!:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone, especially a newbie or virgin cruiser, contemplating the purchase of an MSC cruise should read the info and data available on this site. In particular, there are articles on how to pick a cruise, the best cruise ships for families and the aggregate scores/ ratings given to all the ships by the 60,000 CCers who have written reviews. See http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm. These articles and others are found in the various links to Reviews and Features.

The numerical scores given to the MSC ships in important categories are significantly lower than the scores of the other mass market lines. Importantly, the MSC ships' scores for service and dining are comparatively very poor. Opinions may just be opinions, but when 60,000 opinions are tabulated into numerical ratings the resulting scores are solid evidence which most rational shoppers would not ignor.

I have cruised on Princess, NCL, RCCL and Carnival..this was my first MSC.

If you are open minded and 'ok' at being some of the only Americans, you will like the cruise. We really enjoyed our time but I have to say I am a very easy going traveler. I love to travel and pretty much like everything and anything. :)

I'm not sure my kids would have like it as there were few teenagers but I did see quite a few little ones on the cruise and the looked like they were enjoying themselves.

Again...we were the only Americans on the ship as far as we knew...but we loved it.

• 1 month later...

We loved our cruise and sailed with our daughters - they had a ball. Even stayed on the boat while we went ashore. They travelled free (one is 17 one 10) and were treated as very special people. Although kids travel free the boat was not overloaded with children, there were only a few who spoke English. In the dining room you are seated around other families who speak English also. There are plenty of activities to bring the young ones together but the main language onboard in the Mediterranean is Italian so mine daughters did their own thing with the other English speaking kids onboard and didnt participate in any of the organised stuff.

The numerical scores given to the MSC ships in important categories are significantly lower than the scores of the other mass market lines. Importantly, the MSC ships' scores for service and dining are comparatively very poor. Opinions may just be opinions, but when 60,000 opinions are tabulated into numerical ratings the resulting scores are solid evidence which most rational shoppers would not ignor.

I have recently read this MSC Cruises Receives ‘Best Big-Ship Luxury Enclave,’

‘Best Kept Secret’ Honors in 2009 Cruise Critic

Editors’ Pick Awards

FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. (October 21, 2009)– MSC Cruises received “Best Big-Ship Luxury Enclave for MSC Yacht Club” and “Best Kept Secret,” honors in the 2009 Cruise Critic Editors’ Picks Awards. The awards honor the world’s top cruise lines and highlight the best of the best in cruising.

MSC Yacht Club is like a “ship within a ship,” with dedicated VIP areas available onboard the MSC Fantasiaand MSC Splendida. The MSC Yacht Club allows guests to experience the best of both worlds –personalized service and a private, intimate space while also enjoying the full benefits of all the magnificent vessel has to offer.

"Cruise lines continue to maintain exceptional standards and provide a fantastic vacation experience for travelers," said editor-in-chief Carolyn Spencer Brown. "Cruise lines should be justifiably proud of their staff, crew, partners and agencies that have made such achievement possible.”

I love MSC :p

I would encourage you to keep MSC in your options. My family cruised with them last December (me, my husband, and 7 & 8 year old children) and all loved it. As Americans living in Europe, we were pleased with the Italian line. The kids loved the children's club (there was always someone there who spoke English and most times they spoke in Italian and English during each activity).

This was only our second cruise, but it was very enjoyable and we are cruising with them again this new year just on a different ship.

As far as being a minority on the ship, it is a European line. We found most people to be friendly even if not speaking the same language. You just have to realize that other countries have different personal space (or lack therof) rules and are usually not intentionally rude or pushy. With that in mind, any overseas travel will be more pleasurable.

As for dining, we had no complaints - the dining rooms were fine and the kids ate without complaining. The buffets were just that - nothing to write home about.

Hopefully you will give it a try. It's all about perspective and realizing that not everything has to be done like Americans do it in order to have an enjoyable vacation.

Kian on Med cruises children under 18 cruise free - I took my 17 and 11 year olds and all I paid for them was port charges - on my upcoming US cruise it is different only kids under 12 cruise free. :rolleyes: Personally I preferred the Eastern Med cruise to the Western Med cruise for port visits.

Archived