Sailing out of Galveston

funhavn

We are sailing out of Galveston on 3/31/05. Is this an easy port to go from? We have not been to Galveston so what can we expect when we get there? Any help will be nice.

You didn't state whether you are driving in the same day or staying the night before. That would help with what info you get.

Dave

Either way it's an easy port to embark from....have a great trip....if you can get there a day or so early there are some great restaurants in Galveston or you could take the ferry accross to the Bolivar Peninsula for some local flavor!

I would also recommend Gaido's as a great choice for some really fresh Gulf Seafood. Order the Red Snapper- the Gulf version is so much better than any others...

If you're looking for beautiful beaches and blue water, Galveston is going to disappoint you.... Brown dirty water and dirty beaches- sorry! I'd go there with an attitude of meeting some really friendly folks from Texas and enjoy the Strand district. In the Strand district, you'll also find Pier 19 Restaurant- not as expensive as Gaido's..

We are driving from Indiana on Monday and just slowly making our way down there to Galveston. We plan on staying in Galveston on Wednesday. We are already planning on eating at Gaidos for lunch or dinner. Just trying to find things to fill our day will there. So we are going to take a taxi to the port and go from there cause the hotel offers free parking. Was hoping some one might no if this would be wise to take advantage of or if we should park by the pier?

Thanks for the info on Gaido's....about how much does it cost? :confused:

When I go, I like to endulge and have several courses (don't skip dessert!) For me it's usually about $50pp, but you can get off much cheaper should you choose to.

Parking averages $10.00 per day, but gets cheaper with 10 + days. Below is the website with parking prices:

http://www.galvestoncruises.com/MenuItems.aspx?s=Parking

I've been trying to find lodging in Galveston for one night (3-19), where I can park my car for free. A lot of places are already full or they require a 2 night minimum. Most of the rooms I've found so far are between $100 - $130 per night. I'm driving from KS (12 hour drive) so I don't know if it's worth driving the distance in one day just to get free parking. I could stay somewhere along the interstate for a lot less and probably break even by paying for parking (7 nights for $70).

I found a room at the Sand Piper for $92, including tax. They offer free parking, plus free transportation to the cruise ship terminal, but no breakfast at all (just coffee). Has anyone ever stayed there? Is it clean/decent?

Susan

Parking averages $10.00 per day, but gets cheaper with 10 + days. Below is the website with parking prices:

http://www.galvestoncruises.com/MenuItems.aspx?s=Parking

I've been trying to find lodging in Galveston for one night (3-19), where I can park my car for free. A lot of places are already full or they require a 2 night minimum. Most of the rooms I've found so far are between $100 - $130 per night. I'm driving from KS (12 hour drive) so I don't know if it's worth driving the distance in one day just to get free parking. I could stay somewhere along the interstate for a lot less and probably break even by paying for parking (7 nights for $70).

I found a room at the Sand Piper for $92, including tax. They offer free parking, plus free transportation to the cruise ship terminal, but no breakfast at all (just coffee). Has anyone ever stayed there? Is it clean/decent?

Susan

I haven't heard very good things about the Sand Piper, but I also haven't been there. Also, you can park cheaper at EZ Cruise. It's $45 for 7 days, but you can save $5 if you prepay online: http://www.ezcruiseparking.com .

Ditto on EZcruise parking. We are staying at Bestwestern Beachfront, 1 night, danish/coffee/hot chocolate, cappicino (sp?), no shuttle, heated pools with mediocre(sp?) reviews (I can do this for 1 night for the price with free parking for 7 nights), for 5 people, 70.00. But, made reservations with person on phone at galveston.com and it was much cheaper then the website. We made these reservations a couple months ago for Labor day weekend. Good luck! Any opinions about this place are wanted!! Thanks for all the posts everybody:rolleyes:

and have stayed in Galveston many times. One place you might want to check into is the Gaido's Inn. (not sure of the exact wording of the Inn's name) It is located right behind the restaurant and is very small, but has nice clean rooms that are reasonably priced. The Commodore is also ok...clean but a little ways down the seawall from the port area. Another idea is the Victorian condo-hotel. They are very nice and reasonably priced.

Do not stay at the Flagship unless they have finished their major renovating...ewww icky yuck! Until the "Landry's" restaurant family finishes their renovation of the hotel along with a coney island type atmosphere, I would steer clear of this hotel. Once completed it should be great!!

There are many of the typical chain hotels found on the seawall here...you just have to call their 1-800 numbers....I believe there is also a TravelLodge on the seawall not too far from the port and I know there is a La Quinta on the seawall! Good luck and have a great cruise!

We have booked the La Quinta Inn on the Seawall for 5 adults for $60.00 and also booked EZCruise Parking for $40.00 for 7 days. Prefer to have my vehicle in a secure location with security. Also it's nice to have hotel and parking paid for by the time we arrive.

I haven't heard very good things about the Sand Piper, but I also haven't been there. Also, you can park cheaper at EZ Cruise. It's $45 for 7 days, but you can save $5 if you prepay online: http://www.ezcruiseparking.com .

Tell me about EZ.......I've parked at the Hotels I've stayed at before but was wondering about EZ this time.....I read that there were lines to park (waiting for previous week cruisers to return) and then lines waiting to return.....Any thoughts?

I like Pier 19. Their oysters are always fresh and plump. We generally do nothing but appetizers, out on the deck....be careful the seagulls get demanding (but I love the little devils). If you're lucky you might get to see them towing an oil platform out of the dock....quite a sight to see.

The ferry over to the Bolivar Peninsula is FREE and it's a great ride.

The peninsula is a fun place to visit...not as crowded as Galveston...and the beaches are nicer (although the water is still brown). We actually have a vacation house there. There are some small restaurants (nothing fancy) which serve great seafood at considerably less then the ones in Galveston.

In between Houston and Galveston there is a town called KEMAH. They have turned their waterfront into a large entertainment and restaurant district...lots of little shops. It's also very close to the Space Center.

As far as shopping is concerned the shops in Galveston ( on "The Strand")are really worth a visit.

You'll find Texans to be a wonderfully, warm and hospitable group. Eventhough I no longer live in Houston I still consider it my home. "I wasn't born in Texas but I got there as quick as I could!"

Tell me about EZ.......I've parked at the Hotels I've stayed at before but was wondering about EZ this time.....I read that there were lines to park (waiting for previous week cruisers to return) and then lines waiting to return.....Any thoughts?

I'd heard before we left that they weren't letting incoming traffic park until 11, but we got there at about 10:30 and were able to park almost immediately (there was a car ahead of us checking in), despite the fact that there were 2 ships in that day, and the Ecstasy was apparently late in getting passengers off. The shuttle came and picked us up within 10 minutes of parking, and we went straight to the terminal. I've heard that they bought the lot next to the current one they have; the current one is pretty small. I guess if you arrive when "the mass" does, you might run into a delay, since it's still a small operation.

Getting off, the biggest problem was seeing the van just out of reach of the curb because a large bus decided to try and cut across all three lanes of traffic. :rolleyes: We got on the shuttle about 10 minutes after we got in line, but we noticed the line stacked up pretty quick after us; some of those folks at the end probably had at least a 2 shuttle wait before they could get on one. If you're impatient, though, the lot is within walking distance from Terminal 2 - it's a block off Harborside, but literally a straight shot from the terminal to the lot.

Ditto on EZcruise parking. We are staying at Bestwestern Beachfront, 1 night, danish/coffee/hot chocolate, cappicino (sp?), no shuttle, heated pools with mediocre(sp?) reviews (I can do this for 1 night for the price with free parking for 7 nights), for 5 people, 70.00. But, made reservations with person on phone at galveston.com and it was much cheaper then the website. We made these reservations a couple months ago for Labor day weekend. Good luck! Any opinions about this place are wanted!! Thanks for all the posts everybody:rolleyes:

We stayed at the Best Western in February and it was fine. A basic hotel. We had dinner at Landry's (about a block east) and it was outstanding. Afterwards sat outside of the Rainforest Cafe right next door to Landry's . . . . . they have cascading waterfalls above and around the entrance and at night, on the half hour, they turn it into a dramatic "volcano" light show! It's free to watch and any kids in your group will love it!

The Harbour House is on the pier down from the cruise terminal. As for as Gaido's I wouldn't eat there. It is surviving on reputation only. It used to be the best place to dine and now it's like you are getting precooked food from Sam's. There is a restaurant on the Sea Wall called Fish Tale's which is awsome. You can sit inside or out and generally have great service. I grew up around Galveston I feel bad about Gaido's but it's true. They are catering more to the beach crowd now and have lowered their standards for food and service.

Linda

We are driving from Indiana on Monday and just slowly making our way down there to Galveston. We plan on staying in Galveston on Wednesday. We are already planning on eating at Gaidos for lunch or dinner. Just trying to find things to fill our day will there. So we are going to take a taxi to the port and go from there cause the hotel offers free parking. Was hoping some one might no if this would be wise to take advantage of or if we should park by the pier?

There are manym things to do around Galveston. I have heard that Kemah is a good place to go for dinner and entertainment. There is also NASA that is fun for all ages. For more information about Galveston you should check out http://www.galveston.com/, this is a good web site with lots of information.

Dave

Archived