Formal nights for teens

Bispham Boo

Hi all - does the black tie rule extend to under 18s on formal nights? 15 yr old isn't yet sure if he wants the whole DJ outfit. He'll be smart (black trousers, white shirt, maybe even bow-tie & waistcoat) but I just wondered what other peoples' experiences have been? Thanks

Hi Bispham Boo, our 16 year old son wore smart trousers, shirt and tie on the 4 formal nights we had. He was allowed into the MDR even though he didn't have a jacket or waistcoat.

He really enjoyed the formal nights and it was great to see him smartly dressed. I'm sure your son will love it too.

Have a fab cruise!

helen :)

P&O's official line is that U18s should wear at least smart casual on formal nights so there is no compulsion on them to wear suit or DJ. However, in my experience most teens do attempt to conform to the dress code.

My eldest is over 18 now but has always preferred to dress up in DJ for formal nights. The youngest is 16 and prefers to wear a suit and tie. Over the last few years all of their friends from the teen club have worn either suit or DJ. I have seen some wearing smart trousers with shirt/tie though and they look fine and it is perfectly acceptable.

My eldest has a DJ at his request, the younger wears a kilt, they will be 17 and 14 on our next cruise. We have found on the previous cruises that the teens love to dress up and we have some great pictures of them with the friends that they have made on formal nights.

My two boys are 10 and 13. They will be wearing smart trousers and shirts in the evenings for dinner, the younger one has mostly short sleeved colourful shirts. On the formal evenings my eldest may wear his school blazer, trousers, shirt and tie which are black and white, the younger will wear a long sleeve shirt with tie. Eldest tried on his Dad's wing collar formal shirt but was rather uncomfortable so not sure I can get him to wear that (although he has some cufflinks he wants to wear!)

Thanks everyone for the advice. It seems he'll be fine with his choices & we do have a spare bow-tie to take in case he decides to go for it. The eldest already has a dark suit & will wear black tie.

I'm sure all your boys look fab in their smart gear :)

Archived