Just back from the wonderful Glory that left Norfolk 5/29

What a GREAT SHIP! This was our second cruise, the first one was on the Carnival Elation. I must say that the Glory was MILES above the Elation. Don't get me wrong--I had fun on the Elation, but that ship has a lot of issues (our room looked beat up, the TV didn't work half the time, the remote NEVER worked despite asking the steward for batteries, the odd ship smells, the tiny pool, etc., etc.) compared to the Glory.

Overall it was a great trip. Our weather was awesome for the entire 6-day trip, with very minor exceptions. The itenerary included just 2 port stops: Half Moon Cay and Freeport. Here are my goods and bads of the week:

PROS

• Loved all the food choices (burrito bar, deli, etc.) that the Elation did not have.
  • The rooms were great. We had 2 OV connecting staterooms. We found them to be very spacious, clean and modern.
  • Half Moon Cay. What an AWESOME place. I wish we could have stayed longer, but my kids were getting fried by the sun, despite wearing SPF 50 and reapplying very frequently, so we left around 2:30 that afternoon.
  • The activities on the ship were great. There were so many things to do that we simply could not get to them all. However, the shows that we did make were great, including the comedy acts and the production shows in the Amber Palace.
  • The cruise director, Gary Brierly, and his assistant Sammy. They were a lot of fun.
  • The pools and the water slide. My kids loved them!
  • The movie screen and outside seats. awesome!

CONS

• Our MDR service was S-L-O-W. Our waiter, David, was nice and friendly and personable but we were almost always the first ones there but the last ones served. Often, the table beside us was finished with dessert before we even got our entrees. We had 3 children with us, so sitting for 2 straight hours was a chore for them. Regardless, the food quality was always good, if not great.
  • The Camp Carnival Staff seemed unfriendly. My kids always had a good time once they were there, but the staff did not seem all that nice, IMO.
  • The LINES! at the buffet. at ports. Everywhere. but especially at HMC. The line for the island lunch was completely insane. And having people enter where people are exiting and having only one drink station (at least that I could find) that was out of lemonade by noon is just plain dumb. Carnival could really improve this layout to make it more efficient.
  • Freeport. We didn't really have a plan other than to go to Our Lucaya. After about 15 minutes of seeing the same things at the "straw market", my husband was ready to go back to the ship. We did walk down to the beach for a little while, but it just seemed like a blah port.
  • Tendering. HATED it. Waited to get off the ship for a while. everyone seemed rude and pushy in line. Had to wait a LONG time at HMC to get a tender back. At that point my kids were hot and sunburned and ready to go, but we had a huge line to wait in out in the beaming sun. I did not think it would take so long to get back on the ship, but it did.

Embarkation at Norfolk was also slow. I am not sure what the problem was, but the port people said that they had an issue with the returning cruise. They were still getting passengers off the ship at noon! That would explain why all the traffic was PARKED on roads leading to the port, making it difficult to drop off our luggage for the porters to take.

So, even though we were there early, we didn't get on the ship until later than I expected. However, we went straight to the lido and ate lunch...then our cabins were ready, and our luggage was there, so we unpacked right away! Debarking was slightly behind schedule (30 min or so) but went very smoothly.

There were also, IMO, a lot of grumpy old people on this ship, compared to my last cruise. Even at check-in, people were complaining about this and that, before they got on the ship! The trend continued, as we often had table neighbors at the Red Sail complaining of something throughout the cruise. I hope when I'm old, I don't feel so bitter and entitled. :) I felt bad for the Carnival folks that had to deal with this whining continously.

Now, I'm back to reality...making my own food...doing my own dishes...making my own bed. :mad: Wish I were still on the Glory!

What a GREAT SHIP! This was our second cruise, the first one was on the Carnival Elation. I must say that the Glory was MILES above the Elation. Don't get me wrong--I had fun on the Elation, but that ship has a lot of issues (our room looked beat up, the TV didn't work half the time, the remote NEVER worked despite asking the steward for batteries, the odd ship smells, the tiny pool, etc., etc.) compared to the Glory.

Overall it was a great trip. Our weather was awesome for the entire 6-day trip, with very minor exceptions. The itenerary included just 2 port stops: Half Moon Cay and Freeport. Here are my goods and bads of the week:

PROS

• Loved all the food choices (burrito bar, deli, etc.) that the Elation did not have.
  • The rooms were great. We had 2 OV connecting staterooms. We found them to be very spacious, clean and modern.
  • Half Moon Cay. What an AWESOME place. I wish we could have stayed longer, but my kids were getting fried by the sun, despite wearing SPF 50 and reapplying very frequently, so we left around 2:30 that afternoon.
  • The activities on the ship were great. There were so many things to do that we simply could not get to them all. However, the shows that we did make were great, including the comedy acts and the production shows in the Amber Palace.
  • The cruise director, Gary Brierly, and his assistant Sammy. They were a lot of fun.
  • The pools and the water slide. My kids loved them!
  • The movie screen and outside seats. awesome!

CONS

• Our MDR service was S-L-O-W. Our waiter, David, was nice and friendly and personable but we were almost always the first ones there but the last ones served. Often, the table beside us was finished with dessert before we even got our entrees. We had 3 children with us, so sitting for 2 straight hours was a chore for them. Regardless, the food quality was always good, if not great.
  • The Camp Carnival Staff seemed unfriendly. My kids always had a good time once they were there, but the staff did not seem all that nice, IMO.
  • The LINES! at the buffet. at ports. Everywhere. but especially at HMC. The line for the island lunch was completely insane. And having people enter where people are exiting and having only one drink station (at least that I could find) that was out of lemonade by noon is just plain dumb. Carnival could really improve this layout to make it more efficient.
  • Freeport. We didn't really have a plan other than to go to Our Lucaya. After about 15 minutes of seeing the same things at the "straw market", my husband was ready to go back to the ship. We did walk down to the beach for a little while, but it just seemed like a blah port.
  • Tendering. HATED it. Waited to get off the ship for a while. everyone seemed rude and pushy in line. Had to wait a LONG time at HMC to get a tender back. At that point my kids were hot and sunburned and ready to go, but we had a huge line to wait in out in the beaming sun. I did not think it would take so long to get back on the ship, but it did.

Embarkation at Norfolk was also slow. I am not sure what the problem was, but the port people said that they had an issue with the returning cruise. They were still getting passengers off the ship at noon! That would explain why all the traffic was PARKED on roads leading to the port, making it difficult to drop off our luggage for the porters to take.

So, even though we were there early, we didn't get on the ship until later than I expected. However, we went straight to the lido and ate lunch...then our cabins were ready, and our luggage was there, so we unpacked right away! Debarking was slightly behind schedule (30 min or so) but went very smoothly.

There were also, IMO, a lot of grumpy old people on this ship, compared to my last cruise. Even at check-in, people were complaining about this and that, before they got on the ship! The trend continued, as we often had table neighbors at the Red Sail complaining of something throughout the cruise. I hope when I'm old, I don't feel so bitter and entitled. :) I felt bad for the Carnival folks that had to deal with this whining continously.

Now, I'm back to reality...making my own food...doing my own dishes...making my own bed. :mad: Wish I were still on the Glory!

Than you for your balanced review. i'm glad you had a great time despite your CONS list.

I would have to agree with you when it comes to Freeport. I have learned over the years not to even get off in Freepot....JMHO.

Tendering is never fun and lines of grumpy people are never fun. glad you made the most of all of the other great aspects of your cruise.

Thanks for the review. I'm glad you had a good time.

I will be sailing on the Glory to Canada in July. I have a quick question regarding the dining room. Which dining room were you assigned to? Also, did you have a set dining time, or anytime dining?

I picked anytime dining for my July cruise, hoping that would be the faster service. My son also hates to sit for a long time in the dining room, as do most kids.

My GF and I were on the same cruise. We arrived at the terminal in Norfolk (driven by my Dad who lives an hour away) at about 3pm and it took us an hour and a half to get onboard. I was told the Glory was late into Norfolk and there was a problem w/Customs causing a further delay. When sailing out of Norfolk it seems it is best to arrive very early or late. You're right, excellent cruise and great weather.

We will be on a six day to Bermuda, leaving Norfolk on Oct. 16.

Can you tell me which night is the second of the formal,or elegant nights? We know the first sea day is the first and want to plan a trip to the steakhouse one night that is NOT the other formal night.

Thanks, we're looking forward to our first Glory sailing.

Archived