What to do in Bilbao in July ? ? ? Azura

charabanc

Hello,

Now I have got Brest sorted, its on to my next port of call, Bilbao.

I will be in Bilbao in mid July, on Azura A116.

If we wanted to walk from the port to the town, can we, and how long would it take or do we need to get a shuttle service?

I have seen photo's of the Guggenheim and a waterfront footpath and fancy bridges, is this within walking distance of the ship? How do we find it?

Otherwise, can anyone give me any ideas as to what we might find to do a short stroll from the ship?

Do any of the ships tours come highly recomended?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Regards,

Ann & Peter

its about 20 minutes shuttle to down town bilbao from the port. you drive through a large port area. from the drop off point in grand via, near el ingles department store you can walk to the guggenheim art gallery, for that is what it is, in less than half an hour. if you take the excursion you will get a guide.:) its worth seeing this place.

We also took the shuttle bus into the city centre. Too far to walk.

From the drop off point, we walked into the old town and had a look around. When then found a funicular railway which took us high up above Bilbao and we had a lovely view over the whole city.

Funicular back down again and a nice stroll along the river to the Guggenheim (didn't go in I'm afraid) but nice ice cream next to the river.

We did a very similar cruise on Ventura last year. There are some photos here.

Enjoy your cruise

We did the ship's tour to the Guggenheim. Very much enjoyed it, very interesting. The coach to it gave us a basic tour around Bilbao. Probably go just on shuttle if we went there again but for the first visit the tour was fine.

If you want to see the Guggenheim Museum, just do it on yr own! the ships free shuttle service drops you 2 mins walk from it. Once inside you can have a phone which you click onto and hear information about the exhibits in each part of the building. We did this it was very good :). Or you can have a guide.

I did shuttle to town and walked over bridge to old town, very pleasant. Would of loved to have gone to the museum, but had a elderly mum in tow and she couldn't of walked around it (or taken much in)..If you want to go to the museum, agree do free shuttle and DIY it.

Hi, we are on the same cruise in July, we've been to Bilbao before and got the courtesy bus into the centre of town, about 20 mins as already stated, had a good time exploring the old town and generally strolling around.

This time we are going to the Guggenheim museum.

We did Bilbao with P&O in April. The free shuttle is excellent and drops you 2 minutes from the fine arts museum and the Guggengheim museum. Here is a video of our day.

http://www.youtube.com/user/robdigphot?feature=mhum#p/u/5/TQvqcRSE_gQ

The is a little cafe outside the Guggenheim near the river which is really cheap (surprisingly having been ripped off in La Rochelle) and it has free wifi. It also have an excellent playground that the children enjoyed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/robdigphot?feature=mhum#p/u/5/TQvqcRSE_gQ

Here are some photos.

1251682614_cuUEM-L.jpg

1251682678_PL8N9-L.jpg

Archived