Parrots in the wild?

daisylou71

Hi,

We are cruising in the caribbean in December and I just wondered if any of you have ever done any tours where you have seen parrots in the wild?

We have 2 parrots but would love to see them in their natural environment.....I'm not sure we are in the right location but thought I would ask anyway:)

Louise:D

It partly depends where you're going. There are very few parrot species found in the Eastern Islands, and they are in small numbers - some in Dominica, St Lucia and St Vincent. According to my book, there is also a parakeet which has been introduced into a few islands.

However, if you are visiting Central America (Costa Rica, Belize etc), you should stand a better chance if you can get into the forests - we've seen four or five different ones in our visits.

Thank you both:D

We were once going to holiday in Costa Rica to see the parrots, maybe next time!!

We are calling at Barbados, St Marteen, Tortola, Catalina Island, St Kitts, Antigua, St Lucia, Dominica, St Vincent

I am thinking the most likely place for parrots would be Dominica?

Thank you both:D

We were once going to holiday in Costa Rica to see the parrots, maybe next time!!

We are calling at Barbados, St Marteen, Tortola, Catalina Island, St Kitts, Antigua, St Lucia, Dominica, St Vincent

I am thinking the most likely place for parrots would be Dominica?

According to my book, the Imperial and Red-necked are found in Dominica, in the northern rainforests at some altitude, and then there is the St Lucia parrot found only in St Lucia and the St Vincent parrot which is only found .... guess where?

Each of these had very low populations (under 500) in the nineties; maybe an internet search would disclose how they have fared recently.

Lastly, the Brown-throated or Caribbean parakeet was found in Barbados, Dominica and some of the Virgin Islands.

Hope they are still there, and you get to see some.

Archived