Unassigned Seating

nin7474

Can someone please explain how this works?

Will we sit in a table of 6? If so, i'm assuming it's with different people each night.

Can we request a table for 2?

I've requested early dining but depending what i hear about Unassigned, i might change it.

Also do you know if you can change it to Unassigned online?

Sorry for all the question but thanks in advance:)

you wont know what type of table you will have until you get your sail and sign card at check in. you can go see the maitre D when you board (i think he is by the main dining room around 1:00 or so...check the fun times) you will then be able to see/ask what type of table you are at. if its something you dont like you can request a different table configuration, but it is only a request. he will try to do what he can to accomodate you but remember its only a request. if you are talking about anytime dining you need to see if its still available on your sailing by calling whoever you booked your cruise through. if thats what you decide call right away as anytime dining fills up really fast. i hope this helps you.

Will we sit in a table of 6? If so, i'm assuming it's with different people each night.

I've requested early dining but depending what i hear about Unassigned, i might change it.

Anytime dining (which is what I think you mean by "unassigned"?) works like this: You show up when the dining room is open (usually between the hours of 5:30 and 9:30, give or take a half hour...it'll be posted).

You'll be greeted by a host/hostess, who will ask how many in your party. If you want a table for 2, you say so. If you come with some friends you've met on board, you tell her how many -- and you're seated at an appropriate sized table.

If you're willing to share a table with strangers, you tell her that too -- and you'll be seated with some others who agree to share.

Much like a land based restaurant: you show up, you tell them how many in your party, and you're seated. Sometimes there might be a bit of a wait for them to set up a table, but in my experience we've been seated right away, the longest wait about 5 minutes.

So no, you won't eat with different people each night unless you ask to. And you won't eat with the same people unless you all show up together and ask to be seated together.

"Early" and "late" seating means that you have to show up at your assigned time, you'll sit with the same people each night (unless you or they go elsewhere to eat), and if this doesn't suit, you have to ask the maitre D to change your seating..which may or may not be possible.

I don't know if you can change on line. If you're worked through a travel agent you can ask them to try to change it for you.

One thing you usually can't do is switch back and forth once on board -- sign up for a traditional seating (early or late) then try to do "anytime" one night, for example.

When I booked our cruise in Feb, we requested early dining and were confirmed. At the beginning of May we decided to change it to anytime dining.

We(Me,DW,DS 6yrs) were finally confirmed for anytime dining yesterday. We realized that if we stayed with early seating we would have possibly been sitting with other families. I would rather have the option of possibly dining alone with the family rather then being pigeon hole into sitting with other families with children.

Anytime dining (which is what I think you mean by "unassigned"?) works like this: You show up when the dining room is open (usually between the hours of 5:30 and 9:30, give or take a half hour...it'll be posted).

You'll be greeted by a host/hostess, who will ask how many in your party. If you want a table for 2, you say so. If you come with some friends you've met on board, you tell her how many -- and you're seated at an appropriate sized table.

If you're willing to share a table with strangers, you tell her that too -- and you'll be seated with some others who agree to share.

Much like a land based restaurant: you show up, you tell them how many in your party, and you're seated. Sometimes there might be a bit of a wait for them to set up a table, but in my experience we've been seated right away, the longest wait about 5 minutes.

So no, you won't eat with different people each night unless you ask to. And you won't eat with the same people unless you all show up together and ask to be seated together.

"Early" and "late" seating means that you have to show up at your assigned time, you'll sit with the same people each night (unless you or they go elsewhere to eat), and if this doesn't suit, you have to ask the maitre D to change your seating..which may or may not be possible.

I don't know if you can change on line. If you're worked through a travel agent you can ask them to try to change it for you.

One thing you usually can't do is switch back and forth once on board -- sign up for a traditional seating (early or late) then try to do "anytime" one night, for example.

Yes, i meant Anytime dining:)

WOW!! Thank you so much for the detailed answers!!

When I booked our cruise in Feb, we requested early dining and were confirmed. At the beginning of May we decided to change it to anytime dining.

We(Me,DW,DS 6yrs) were finally confirmed for anytime dining yesterday. We realized that if we stayed with early seating we would have possibly been sitting with other families. I would rather have the option of possibly dining alone with the family rather then being pigeon hole into sitting with other families with children.

Did you have to call Carnival to change?

Ok, i checked into my Carnival Profile and changed it. They call it YOUR TIME.

Just a FYI for other cruisers looking to change.:)

"† Your Time Dining: Seating is assigned on a first come, first served basis. Guests are normally seated within 20 minutes depending on the size of the party. Parties of 10 or more may need to be accommodated at different tables.

Waitlist: Guests that select a dining option on a waitlist basis will be officially notified of their dining assignment on the day of sailing during check-in at the cruise terminal."

We have done anytime dining last 4 cruises. Never had an issue always getting a 2 top. Never waited more than 5 min for a table. Love it.

Thanks. I discussed it with my fiancee and figured to give it a try. Not to sound anti-social, but a table for 2 sometimes would be nice. On our last cruise we sat with 2 other couples and actually became friends with 1 of the couples. They were newlyweds and around our age group. We wound up hanging out together and had excursions together(not planned, nice coincidence:))

When will i know if i got approved for Anytime Dining?

When you log into their site, it should show what dining option you have, early, late, or any time.. BTW, like your avitar.. Get Fuzzy.. Best comic strip ever..

I think you're referring to Your Time Dining, yes? If so, you will be seated at a table for two if that's what you request. Unless you need to be seated RIGHT NOW you likely won't have to dine with any other passengers.

Regarding changing your dining preference... how did you book? TA? PVP? On line? If you used a TA you'll have to ask that person to change your preference. If you used a PVP just make the call. If you booked on line you can make the change yourself. The crux of the matter is availablity... there may not be capacity in the dining preference you want to change to. The only guests who's dining preference is guaranteed are Platinum folks so a request is a request and subject to change by the Maitre d' on board.

:)

When you log into their site, it should show what dining option you have, early, late, or any time.. BTW, like your avitar.. Get Fuzzy.. Best comic strip ever..

Thanks, i checked and it says "Your Time 5:45-9:30 (Confirmed)":)

And yes, love me some Bucky Katt!!:D

I think you're referring to Your Time Dining, yes? If so, you will be seated at a table for two if that's what you request. Unless you need to be seated RIGHT NOW you likely won't have to dine with any other passengers.

Regarding changing your dining preference... how did you book? TA? PVP? On line? If you used a TA you'll have to ask that person to change your preference. If you used a PVP just make the call. If you booked on line you can make the change yourself. The crux of the matter is availablity... there may not be capacity in the dining preference you want to change to. The only guests who's dining preference is guaranteed are Platinum folks so a request is a request and subject to change by the Maitre d' on board.

:)

Thanks, i've changed online. Please see my post above^^

I meant ANYTIME DINING, sorry for the confusion:(

On my cruise we were always among the first in so I was able to get a bale for 2 by a window. There were other 2 top tables right next to it. Literally inches apart. It was fine though because we met a few otejhr couples who ate the same time, we all got along and we all ate there every night.

On my cruise we were always among the first in so I was able to get a bale for 2 by a window. There were other 2 top tables right next to it. Literally inches apart. It was fine though because we met a few otejhr couples who ate the same time, we all got along and we all ate there every night.

That's good to know, thanks a lot. So you usually ate/check-in around the "Early Dining time"?

You can always request an 'out of the way' 2 top as well, if you are uncomfortable with the 2's that are near eachother. There are plenty near the rails that don't have anything near by, just let the Hostess know...

You can always request an 'out of the way' 2 top as well, if you are uncomfortable with the 2's that are near eachother. There are plenty near the rails that don't have anything near by, just let the Hostess know...

Thanks, i'll keep that in mind. I need to write these helpful hints down, lol. So far until Oct.:p

Thanks, i'll keep that in mind. I need to write these helpful hints down, lol. So far until Oct.:p

We have sat at the close together tables too, and never had a problem. People say they are 2 inches apart, it's more like 18 inches, but provides enough of a psycological barrier so that no conversation between tables is implied.

Archived