35 day cruises. Are you crawling up the bulkheads?

lais

We did a b2b last year that was 39 days. The only complaint I have is trying to shave my legs in the shower........what a pain. We had plenty of room for our clothes which is saying something since we went from Bangkok to China to Hong Kong in Feb/March which meant we had both cold and warm weather clothes to store. We were in a veranda cabin and spent a good amount of time in our room, including having some evening meals.

We were never bored.....tired sometimes, having a very port-intensive itinerary but not one minute was spent crawling the bulkhead.

I always dreamed of living on a cruise ship a few months on, a few months off. This will be a good test to see if I need to quash that dream or continue dreaming. In my dream I have a nice suite with a big balcony. I have seen a pic of the shower and it is so small and the cabin is small and we do spend a lot of time on our balcony so at least we have a little space there.

I am glad no one has written back saying they were climbing the bulkheads. It seems to be a positive experience for many and it has been nice reading about everyones experiences.

I would also dream thinking I could live on a ship. When they allow animals on the poop deck, then count me to cruise indefinitely. I will be gone 34 days this November and want to get home to my Doucie, a chocolate cocker spaniel.

I took Regal Princess from LA to Sydney a few years back. I did feel a bit claustrophobic after 5 days at sea. You really look forward to your time ashore. What I did miss was bird song. Take lots of reading and get involved with activities. I also took some needlework along. The funny thing is I am thinking of doing the same cruise again on Princess. The food was superb! The chef made each dinner interesting without getting boring.

Now you could all be like that lady that sails with RCI. She lives on the ship permanently, meets new people each cruise, knows exactly what she will be eating each day, has staff that looks after her wants and needs, and has constant company. Her version is that it is cheaper financially to live on the ship all year than it is to live in the states. She has medical care nearby if she needs it and all her other needs are met. She said that it was more reasonable than living in a retirement home.

I have read about her. I wonder if she has any family. They would have to take a cruise to see her. I wonder if she books by the year and gets a hugh discount?

We did the Hong Kong to Athens spring of 2010 and loved it. The blend of sea days and busy port days was perfect. I think it was also good because we had three trips away from the ship during the 35 days. We went to Ankor Wat (private tour) for three nights leaving the ship in Saigon and rejoining in Bangkok. Then we left again in India and toured privately the Taj Mahal and Dehli leaving in Goa and rejoining in Mumbai two days later. The last trip was to spend an overnight off the ship in Luxor at the Winter Palace. I think that those three trips plus the days at sea made the 35 days fly by. I did plan almost of our tours privately using recommendations from cruise critic and some friends too. We found our cabin A1 fine because most of the time was spent on deck and there were lots of fun activities planned on the sea days with the crew!!

We are taking this cruise in 2012. I would love to get any and all info on the private tours you booked.

One of our longer cruises was 60+ days (B2B2B2B) on 'Insignia', so we would suggest the following....very strict diet BEFORE departure, you want to get your monies worth, and make a booking for the Betty Ford Clinic for immediate admission on disembarkation, that is if they can get you off the ship as it has become your only home!!

As they say, "that's what makes horse races." For some, a couple of days at sea is too much. For others, it does not matter how long we are at sea. If you stop to think about it, how often are you relaxed, on vacation, and can spend time with several hundred people, many of whom you have gotten to know and talk with? We have gone to Maine for 37 years, and most days are exactly the same routine. On a cruise, you get to different ports, and will really have lots of "friends" to be along with you.

Will you climb the bulkheads? Only you know the answer to that. Take it from someone who has been to sea for 290+ days with port calls only once a month, if you like being at sea, you will have a great time.

Enjoy.

One of our longer cruises was 60+ days (B2B2B2B) on 'Insignia', so we would suggest the following....very strict diet BEFORE departure, you want to get your monies worth, and make a booking for the Betty Ford Clinic for immediate admission on disembarkation, that is if they can get you off the ship as it has become your only home!!

Ha! Ha! Ha! I'll take your advice.

My husband and I really enjoy 30-35 day cruises. At one time we wished we could afford a world cruise, but now we think that 35 days is about as long as we wish to be away from home. Otherwise, I think you lose touch with friends and neighbors. (We don't live near family).

On our Hong Kong to Athens trip, we took the Taj Mahal extension. We rejoined the ship at Mumbai. Drivng through Mumbai, I saw as much of Mumbai and I ever want to see!.

Archived