Advise Please

Shogun

Hi All

Been asked to help a cruise virgin pick a ship and a cruise,

they are confined to a wheel chair, only one leg,

so folks with experience

what advise would you give. Looking to go with Princess

They thought fixed dining at a small table rather than anytime.

For the shows are there any spaces near the front rather than the back of the theatre

What assistance does Princess offer, any photos of cabins.

yours Shogun

Hi All

so folks with experience

For the shows are there any spaces near the front rather than the back of the theatre

yours Shogun

Try going to the "Princess" boards and ask these questions. There

may be photos of handicapped cabins --- do you know what itinerary

this person would like ?? Most Carribean ports are "docked" so getting off the ship while sitting in a chair would be easier. If you

pick a journey where "tendering" is involved --- this person most

likely would have to stay onboard whiel visitng those ports. The tenders just have no way to lift and load a wheelchair.

You should check out the pool area, too. Some cruise lines have

"lifts" by the pool that would lower and raise a disabled person into

the water.

I haven't cruised Princess (or any other line, either) needing special help but from some of the posts I have read --- the crews are very

helpful.

Yes, probably a table for two or four would be best. At least this way,

you would have fellow cruisers to converse with ---- the down side

would be getting some rather unpleasant tablemates. I guess, if

it were me -- probably go with the table for two and fixed dining times.

I would suggest using a travel agent who specializes in cruises. They

can do alot of the work for you ---always ask if they have been on the

ships you are considering.

Good luck.

Yes go to Princess board. Some advise from a scooter user. Do check itin and ensure that you dock so that it is easier for him/her to go. Go on newer ships only as they are more wheelchair friendly. They will help in the buffet area with carrying his tray but will not help in the room at all. He must be self sefficent in get in and out of bed and the toilet on his own or someone will have to be with him that can do this for him.

I use a scooter, not a wheelchair, but I will try to answer. I cruise exclusively on Princess.

Princess is very accessible. I cruise mainly on Sapphire. The balcony accessible cabins are directly by the front elevators, so you exit the cabin and don't have to go down a corridor and worry about a steward's cart, etc.

The theaters have accessible areas, but as far as I know they are at the back of the theater. There is a theater chair, then an empty space for a wheelchair, then a theater chair, etc. If you go on a ship that has a Vista Lounge, there are some production shows there, and many good acts, and the seating is more flexible. There are benches, and between the benches there are rows of moveable bucket seats. Your friend could get somebody to remove a couple of those seats on pretty much any aisle anywhere in the theater, so they'd be much closer. Its a lovely theater, more like a night club, and much less crowded.

I recently went to Skywalker's on Golden, and it is two storied, or actually split level, about eight steps to the top level. It has a single passenger/chair lift which the passenger operates, so that is nice.

If I were your friend, I'd request a table like they wanted, and then go to see the matre d' upon boarding. Why? Because he needs a table in an area with no steps, and many of the tables are up one step. I guess it is asthetically more pleasing, but it makes problems.

The handicap cabins all have plenty of room to turn around in. Is your friend able to transfer himself? If not he needs to bring a transfer board and somebody who knows how to help him. If the beds are separated into twins there is actually a better space to transfer and more room to turn the wheelchair around.

The bathroom is huge, with a large roll in shower and a bench. The shower head is removable (and reachable while sitting).

I don't have pictures of individual cabins, but there are some online. I have seen no bias against people in chairs from Princess staff; actually they are very admiring of people who "go out and do things" by taking a cruise.

If your friend needs any more info, don't hesitate to contact me. Click here for my email.

Hi All

so folks with experience

yours Shogun

Hi Mindy97 and all

Thank you for info, he is able to get about short distances, using a false leg, I am hoping to be able to visit the Crown Princess in a few months which will give him an idea of what a ship has to offer.

But where to cruise just now my thoughts were Caribbean not wheel chair friendly, unless mordern ports, Med old sites poor access, So may be major cities or Northen Europe , or May USA New York etc.

yours Shogun

Hi All

so folks with experience

yours Shogun

Shogan...like your friend I am an above knee amputee...I mostly cruise Princess because of the itinerary, friendly crew, food and cabins. I take my own wheelchair which I need at night and rent a scooter for use on the the ship. I can walk with my prosthesis but I find the moving ship a challange sometimes.

To answer some of your questions.

The Princess accessible cabin and bathroom are large with easy access. My only complaint would be that there is no automatic door opening like RCCL has (you slide your room card and the door opens)

We always prefer fixed time dinning and I go to the Matre'd the first day to make sure our table is near the door with a place to park my scooter. We also like a large table, more interesting people to meet.

As to showrooms and theater's...almost all have seating in the back...so depending on the schedule we prefer to go to MUTS on Princess...hard to see magicians, etc. from the back of the room. The musical shows are great and so are the comics.

Depending on the itinerary (and your ability to walk onto a tender) the shore exersions are not accessible. It is better to check on the Disability boards and ask questions about private tours...we have found several the can take a folded w/c but not a scooter. Most countries outside of the US do not have the same laws concerning accessibility. (Curb cutouts, ramps etc or accessible bathrooms)

Our first choice for cruise line would be Princess followed by RCCL. There is enough variety of passenger ages, activities, and ports. Both lines have good service and good food and are helpful for people with disabilities.

If your friend has any specific questions..just ask...we tend to like a 14 day cruise not a 7 day...too much trouble to pack and fly for a short vacation. We also tend to keep our flights under 5 hours and fly direct when possible.

Arene

Shogun,

I answered you on the Princess board, but some of these replies, made me think of a few more things. DH is also an amputee - about a year ago - and does not have an artificial leg yet.

We found Bonaire and Aruba fairly accessible. Both had curb cutouts so it was easy to get around. In Aruba he was able to go in several stores. We didn't take a tour there. In Bonaire, we took a private tour and saw most of the island.

St Thomas we took a wheel chair accessible tour of the island that went to Mountain Top. That worked out well.

Dominica, was a different story. He could go on the main street and that was it. Princess had a wheel chair accessible tour we were booked on but unfortunately the lift on the van broke so we had to cancel. But there were several vendors at the dock that said they would take us

In Grenada we took a private tour but we found that was not accessible as had been promised. We did get to see a good part of the island so it was definitely worth it. DH was not able to get in the spice factory since he cannot do steps.

How about Alaska? Accessible ports, few tender ports. Many cruise lines (not just Princess).

Princess will not allow you to tender if you cannot walk on/off the tender yourself. You can take a manual wheelchair with you, but they will not lift you in the wheelchair into the tender. HAL is one of the few cruise lines that still has accomodations for wheelchair passengers on their tenders.

As far as shore excursions, don't depend upon the cruise lines to provide accessible tours. With a single limb lower extremity amputation, I would assume that this person can fairly readily do a standing pivot transfer to a regular car? If so, taking cabs on his own at the various ports or hiring a car service would probably be his best bet. He shouldn't need a lift equipped van or bus.

We prefer to share a large table and make some new friends. Either "anytime" or traditional dining is an option (and much easier than the buffets).

Just be sure he gets a wheelchair accessible cabin. He cannot get a wheelchair through the doors of a regular cabin, and there would be a step up to the bathroom in a regular cabin. He would also probably find it easier to use the roll-in shower and flip-down wall mounted shower chair for bathing than a tub or even a standard shower stall.

keep on cruising, would you mind sharing who you toured with in Bonaire? Did your DH use an electric or manual wheelchair or scooter? From my research so far, it appears that ships dock right in town and it is easily walkable. Since this will be my first visit there, I am hoping to see more of the island.

Shogun, your friend should enjoy Princess ships built after 1997. That is about the time that they started making it easier for the disabled. Would he be cruising alone or with a companion? If he needs personal assistance in the cabin, he needs to travel with someone who can provide that help. Ship crew members will help with boarding and disembarking, carrying food trays and the like.

It is the decision of the captain and the safety officer whether they consider it safe for tendering for all passengers, but especially the disabled ones. They prefer collapsible wheelchairs on tender boats and the guest to walk onto the tender with assistance. They will probably load a small scooter if it weighs 100# or less, but it is not guaranteed. In most cases there are also stairs to be negotiated to get to the tender platform. In my experience, Princess and Carnival have been the lines attempting to discourage me from tendering. A small person with a lightweight scooter or chair stands a better chance of tendering than a large person. Heavy chairs and scooters stand little chance of being tendered.

Encourage him to use a travel agent that specializes in travel for the disabled. They will have a lot of knowledge for guiding him to have a first time fantastic cruise.

We used Hans Voerman hansoutdoor@hotmail.com. He asked us to meet him at his office. It was a very easy walk with the directions he provided. The ship docs right in town. We left the ship a little early and went to a craft show in the square near the doc.

Hans had a pickup truck and the wheelchair fit easily in the back. DH was able to get in the truck since he can stand, pivot and transfer. We rode around the island and he never got out of the truck. But we saw most of the island, the flamingos, the salt flats and the back roads that most tourist would not see.

Archived