tips

anjanetted

The only negative to pre-pay tips is that we eat the buffet meal more than any other. I always leave a tip for the person clearing our table in the buffet and have tipped them generously if they ask if we need anything. Why should the person in the main dining room get a tip from me when I do not enter the dining room?

Sorry, i guess this would be off topic. I dont understand? Are u saying that for supper, if one chooses not to go to the MDR, u have the option of eating at the buffet, even for supper?

First timer

Sorry, i guess this would be off topic. I dont understand? Are u saying that for supper, if one chooses not to go to the MDR, u have the option of eating at the buffet, even for supper?

First timer

I did this on the last night of my cruise, same food as on the menu for the MDR except I got to sample a little of this and a little of that. They also had ripe watermelon slices .. finally (other nights not so ripe). .. so I sat up there and had a plate of watermelon and beef shortribs and potatoes, nice and hot and took pictures of the sun setting. You can also get pizza and deli toasted sandwiches and grill up there if you didnt like the menu.

Some nights, like lobster, is only in the MDR.

I did this on the last night of my cruise, same food as on the menu for the MDR except I got to sample a little of this and a little of that. They also had ripe watermelon slices .. finally (other nights not so ripe). .. so I sat up there and had a plate of watermelon and beef shortribs and potatoes, nice and hot and took pictures of the sun setting. You can also get pizza and deli toasted sandwiches and grill up there if you didnt like the menu.

Some nights, like lobster, is only in the MDR.

Thanks to u to.The stapels

swaying off topic just a tiny bit here...but it's a related question:

I'm cruising with a friend and we will both have separate SS cards. Will the tips be added to both our accounts separately?

Yes, each account is charged seperately for the gratitudes.

Do they charge everyone the 10 per day fee. Kinda forgot about it and now just realized that at the end of the cruise I will owe 350!! I have smaller children, do they pay too?? Just seems like a lot.

Yes it does seem like a lot when you give it a totaled figure but if you break it down by day and person it sounds a lot less, now doesn't it? !

I understand what a lot of you are saying but for me its still a lot. I don't let other people watch my kids, I take care of them myself. Also, except for dinner the other meals are buffet type and I usually clean up after myself when I am done. I realize a lot of people do use the kids programs and such though, and with so many guests I guess they have to even it out someway. Oh well, not going to fret over that...too excited to be cruising!

I understand how you feel anjanetted...and your concerns are legitimate.

I am happy that you are not going to fret over it and are excited to be cruising!

Just go and have a great time and enjoy this special vacation with your kids!

I hope you and your family have a fantastic cruise!!

I understand what a lot of you are saying but for me its still a lot. I don't let other people watch my kids, I take care of them myself. Also, except for dinner the other meals are buffet type and I usually clean up after myself when I am done. I realize a lot of people do use the kids programs and such though, and with so many guests I guess they have to even it out someway. Oh well, not going to fret over that...too excited to be cruising!

then you shouldn't be choosing a service vacation. with service there's always tips.

when you do it yourself, there's none.

I still tip even when we go eat at a buffet .. if you figure it out by meal you will see its not as much as you think.

Iv sat and snacked .. snacked some more .. some more and I even drop off my plates to the servers up on the buffet on a cruise .. wouldnt occur to me to stiff the help because I choose to eat at the buffet.

Another thing you might not realize aboaut cruising with kids. The Carnival camp workers that watch your kids while you enjoy your cruise (if you use them) are not in the tip pool. You have to tip them seperately. We usually tip at the end of the cruise, and it depends on how much we tip by how much we use them. Those tips you cen't pre-pay.

Quick question on this - can you tip the whole staff, or just the age group(s) you used, or do you have to figure out the individuals who were with your kids? I never tipped CC workers before, just because it never occured to me - we have had excellent service from them in the past, and if that continues on our upcoming cruise, I'll probably start tipping...

Here's another question about tipping that I thought I would ask here...On our last cruise it was the first time with Carnival and we pre-paid our tips. At the end of our cruise all of the 4 couples at our table handed the waiter an envelope on the last night. I can't remember for sure but I think everyone had also pre-paid. Do people pretty much always give an additional tip that night? Just wondering so we don't look like the cheapos in the crowd and are the only ones not doing that. Should we keep an extra $20 handy?

Thanks!

Here's another question about tipping that I thought I would ask here...On our last cruise it was the first time with Carnival and we pre-paid our tips. At the end of our cruise all of the 4 couples at our table handed the waiter an envelope on the last night. I can't remember for sure but I think everyone had also pre-paid. Do people pretty much always give an additional tip that night? Just wondering so we don't look like the cheapos in the crowd and are the only ones not doing that. Should we keep an extra $20 handy?

Thanks!

nope. never have. I give a handshake, and my thanks.

Thanks!

Tipping is a personal issue. If I feel like the wait staff earned it / went above and beyond / was very good / was personable then I will certainly give something extra. It is not something that you have to do but if you get great service then the staff will be very appreciative of something extra.

The only negative to pre-pay tips is that we eat the buffet meal more than any other. I always leave a tip for the person clearing our table in the buffet and have tipped them generously if they ask if we need anything. Why should the person in the main dining room get a tip from me when I do not enter the dining room?

The person clearing your table isn't the only person to tip. Our MDR waiters are often seen behind the buffet line doing the serving. They work at least one other mealtime besides the MDR service so they have served on you for either breakfast or lunch too. As well as any midnight buffet parties. There is no way you could possibly tip all the appropriate staff so it is safer to leave the auto-tips on so that the people who deserve it will get their fair share.

JMHO

I've read several times on CC that some people hand the room steward cash on the first day. I guess this goes back to the old fashioned meaning of TIP. To Insure Promptness. Do any of you agree that it improves service?;)

problem with that is you are ensuring, not insuring, unless you have travel insurance.

and no. you will get the same result if you throw the same cash straight in the garbage.

I've read several times on CC that some people hand the room steward cash on the first day. I guess this goes back to the old fashioned meaning of TIP. To Insure Promptness. Do any of you agree that it improves service?;)

Absolutely no reason to bribe the room steward to do his/her job.

Never have never will and always get excellent service.

Thanks!

If you think they deserve more than $ 5.50 per day per person give them more. Individual choice.

We generally feel that the auto tip is enough but on occasion we have given extra when we felt it was deserved.

We cruise with our kids each year.

Yes... that is $350 for tips. For us, it is part of the budget. An expense that we figure in our cost... we know that the first $350 on our S&S Bill are the tips.

It beats having to save out cash out of your spending money for tips!

We have given bonus tips to a few special members of the staff who have given us terrific personal attention. One cruise, we spent a good amount of time in the Piano bar and just loved the Bar Waiter. Although he received 15% every time we ordered a drink, he was one of the best bar waiters ever.

Camp Carnival pools their tips, so we have tipped the staff as a whole.

One thing, I am ALWAYS thanked the last day by our wait staff. They KNOW that we put our tips on the S&S Card.

Catrin

I pre-pay tips. If I don't see the room steward, I'll leave a note to please add ice to my collapsible cooler w/ a tip.

Will find a bartender I like, order a drink & tip extra. It pays off.

DW doesn't drink & a good rapport with bartender will get discounted or free virgin pina coladas.

Tip the porters. Tip the shuttle bus drivers.....

I never feel bad about leaving a tip. :)

We have cruised as a family of four over 20 times....(starting when the boys were small) and yes, we have always paid the service surcharge (they call it a tip...but it is THEIR SALARY) on everyone PLUS a true tip at the end of the cruise.

We have cruised as a family of 3 (when the oldest was in college) an additional 25 times....and yes, we have always paid the service surcharge on everyone.

Most people do not know that this is how the cruise lines (not just Carnival) pay these crew members SALARIES.

Yes, it meant $280 for a 7 day cruise for the 4 of us...but that is just the cost of cruising.....

Archived