tips

anjanetted

It's really more of a service charge, an expected fee. Hotels in Orlando and in other vacation destination often have a resort fee on top of their daily charge and it's sorta like that fee.

Wrong.

My thought is at least Carnival is $10 pp.

On NCL fees are $12 and cant be adjusted.

That is because NCL charges a service charge.

We have cruised as a family of four over 20 times....(starting when the boys were small) and yes, we have always paid the service surcharge (they call it a tip...but it is THEIR SALARY) on everyone PLUS a true tip at the end of the cruise.

They as in "Carnival" does not have a service charge. "They" have never had a "service charge"

Please don't try to confuse the newbies.....

OP everyone is charged a auto tip on your sail and sign card unless they are 2 and under.......you also have the opportunity to adjust these tips where you see fit......

Here's another question about tipping that I thought I would ask here...On our last cruise it was the first time with Carnival and we pre-paid our tips. At the end of our cruise all of the 4 couples at our table handed the waiter an envelope on the last night. I can't remember for sure but I think everyone had also pre-paid. Do people pretty much always give an additional tip that night? Just wondering so we don't look like the cheapos in the crowd and are the only ones not doing that. Should we keep an extra $20 handy?

Thanks!

We just keep the auto tips on..........you won't look like a cheapo.

Just off the Dream. Camp Carnival requires automatic tips now if you use the past 10pm services or any of the "parties". FYI:)

:confused::confused:

Starting cruising with DD in 1997, and there was a charge then for 10 p.m. and later and has been on every cruise since...it's never been presented as a "tip" but as a charge for the Camp Carnival services after hours.

Yes and yes. It does seem like a lot in one lump sum, but it's really not.

For me, I consider it a hidden cost of cruising and would never consider not paying it (unless the service was bad and I think CC has proved over and over again that that is extremely rare). I have 3 kids so for a 7 day cruise for my 5 family members the tips alone will be $350. I could not, in good conscience, 'cheat' the staff out of one penny of that and will likely tip a little more.

:confused::confused:

Starting cruising with DD in 1997, and there was a charge then for 10 p.m. and later and has been on every cruise since...it's never been presented as a "tip" but as a charge for the Camp Carnival services after hours.

This is different. Now you pay the after hours fee(which has gone up to 6.75 an hour with NO discount for a second child) PLUS a 15% gratuity. Party nights have their own flat rate for the party PLUS a 15% tip.

This is new stuff. Just went into effect.

OP, the answer is simple. If you think the total is too high, go to the customer services desk and have them lowered.

You as the tipper decides how much to tip. The $10 per day per person is just a suggestion and you do not have to take the suggestion. You are entirely free to let it stand or go ABOVE or to go LOWER.

You are not responsible for paying the service people, only in giving them a monetary thank you (ie tip) if you so please.

If any of the service people are EXPECTING a tip, they are in the wrong business. You however can expect them to do the job they were hired to do.

OP, the answer is simple. If you think the total is too high, go to the customer services desk and have them lowered.

You as the tipper decides how much to tip. The $10 per day per person is just a suggestion and you do not have to take the suggestion. You are entirely free to let it stand or go ABOVE or to go LOWER.

You are not responsible for paying the service people, only in giving them a monetary thank you (ie tip) if you so please.

If any of the service people are EXPECTING a tip, they are in the wrong business. You however can expect them to do the job they were hired to do.

Seriously, if you do not want to tip then do not use the services of those people whose income depends on tips.

Seriously, if you do not want to tip then do not use the services of those people whose income depends on tips.

The OP is entirely free to tip as he or she wishes whether you like it or not.

And BTW, the "services" were PAID for when the cruise was purchased. You do not PAY people with your tip, you thank them and how much you want to thank someone is up to the thanker.

And BTW, the "services" were PAID for when the cruise was purchased. You do not PAY people with your tip, you thank them and how much you want to thank someone is up to the thanker.

Not necessarily. The hotel gets the room money, the housekeeper cleaning said room relies on tips. The airlines get the airfare, but the baggage handlers rely on tips, the cruise line gets the cruise fare, but the cruise service employees rely on tips.

You are paying for your room, food and entertainment the service is extra People like you just try to justify stiffing the staff. It is what it is

Here's another question about tipping that I thought I would ask here...On our last cruise it was the first time with Carnival and we pre-paid our tips. At the end of our cruise all of the 4 couples at our table handed the waiter an envelope on the last night. I can't remember for sure but I think everyone had also pre-paid. Do people pretty much always give an additional tip that night? Just wondering so we don't look like the cheapos in the crowd and are the only ones not doing that. Should we keep an extra $20 handy?

Thanks!

They put a envelope in your cabin for the maitre d', who some seem to tip, but if I never had a reason to even meet him, why tip him?? I dont do that one either.

The $10 a day doesnt include the maitre d'

we've always pre paid the tips and never felt the need to adjust down even tho the option is there. we've never tipped the cabin steward on the first day but ALWAYS on the last day because they have been exceptional every time. the dining room staff we've always tipped extra because they've always been good! just got off the conquest on sunday 5/22, that friday i went to the service desk to put some cash on our ss and there was a couple in front of me with ALL of their drink receipts taking the 15% off of every single one....:confused: they did look "cheap"

To the OP.....

You will get different answers from different people. I definitely understand how a family of 5 would be alot of $$$$ in tips. Do what you can do and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

We are going on our 1st cruise next year and when I booked I went ahead and included the tips so I didn't have to worry about it.

There are some people on here that can get really nasty and judgemental but for the most part I really enjoy Cruise Critic.

Let this be a lesson, There are a few topics on here that really gets people riled up.....such as Tipping, Smoking, Babies in the pool, smoking and more smoking......lol

Thanks!

People are different. I feel like $50 a person isn't enough for what all that the staff does, but I am not a wealthy person. (kinda why I cruise Carnival :D) I went with people who have given our MDR waiter $100+ the last night on top of the $10 PP/PD.

Like I said before, it is not mandatory that you give the gratuity. However, it is expected. You can lower it to $1 if you want...

To the OP.....

You will get different answers from different people. I definitely understand how a family of 5 would be alot of $$$$ in tips. Do what you can do and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

We are going on our 1st cruise next year and when I booked I went ahead and included the tips so I didn't have to worry about it.

There are some people on here that can get really nasty and judgemental but for the most part I really enjoy Cruise Critic.

Let this be a lesson, There are a few topics on here that really gets people riled up.....such as Tipping, Smoking, Babies in the pool, smoking and more smoking......lol

Tipping isn't the hot topic...the hot topic is stiffing the people that work hard to put on a great cruise for us.

This is different. Now you pay the after hours fee(which has gone up to 6.75 an hour with NO discount for a second child) PLUS a 15% gratuity. Party nights have their own flat rate for the party PLUS a 15% tip.

This is new stuff. Just went into effect.

Ah, obviously I misunderstood. When DD was small (she's 16 now and doesn't even consider the organized activities--I'm just happy she likes to hang out with her mom! :D) we used the after hours activities a few times during the week. She adored Camp Carnival. We always tipped at the end of the cruise because the counselors were a huge part of her vacation.

Ah, obviously I misunderstood. When DD was small (she's 16 now and doesn't even consider the organized activities--I'm just happy she likes to hang out with her mom! :D) we used the after hours activities a few times during the week. She adored Camp Carnival. We always tipped at the end of the cruise because the counselors were a huge part of her vacation.

I actually liked the new system. In the past I never really knew who to give a tip to at Camp Carnival. This takes care of that. On the Dream we had to show our S&S card and sign a receipt when checking in our kids. This made picking up go much faster since everyone had already filled out the paperwork.

Wrong, by all means. The service people ARE expecting a tip because they performed a task for your personal benefit. They are paid much below minimum wage because tips are EXPECTED. I am grateful for their services and the fact that they do the job they were hired to do for me, so I will compensate them fairly, as EXPECTED.

that makes as much sense as the service is paid for when you eat at a service restaurant.

nope.

the price you pay for food does not include service. your tip pays that.

OP, we don't know your financial situation but let's say you budgeted just enough money for this trip and planned on going home pretty much broke but you forgot to budget tips(understandable for a first timer). I can honestly say that I would tip very minimal and make sure I have money when I get home.

If you are a able to pay the tips without affecting your own well being, by all means pay the tips.

The last thing I would ever do is let internet chat forums teach me morals.

OP, we don't know your financial situation but let's say you budgeted just enough money for this trip and planned on going home pretty much broke but you forgot to budget tips(understandable for a first timer). I can honestly say that I would tip very minimal and make sure I have money when I get home.

If you are a able to pay the tips without affecting your own well being, by all means pay the tips.

The last thing I would ever do is let internet chat forums teach me morals.

If your financial sitution is that tight that you cannot tip at least recommended amount then you should not be taking a vacation.

Archived