tips

anjanetted

That would be the same as sitting at a restaurant table for 2 hours in the evening and not ordering food. The ship's crew anticipate earning tips from each room. They don't leave go and spend months at sea to not earn money off that room.

Well, lucky for them, they'll still be earning $10/night off of my room, which is more than the $7.00 they'll earn from all of their double occupancy rooms...and they won't even have to work as hard for it, since I don't care if they make my bed, fluff my pillows, or provide turn-down service. All they need to do is provide fresh towels and empty the trash can once a day.

They likely won't get the $17.50/night that Carnival SUGGESTS I give them for my 5-guest interior room, but they also won't be working very hard for the $10 or so that I plan to give them.

there are actually 4 states that you must pay the minimum wage to servers, or, in essence, everyone.

Actually as a previous poster mentioned, all states must pay minimum wage. If your server rate plus tips does not average that states minimum wage the company must pay them the difference. Minimum wage runs from $7.25 to about $8 per hour depending on the state.

Well, lucky for them, they'll still be earning $10/night off of my room, which is more than the $7.00 they'll earn from all of their double occupancy rooms...and they won't even have to work as hard for it, since I don't care if they make my bed, fluff my pillows, or provide turn-down service. All they need to do is provide fresh towels and empty the trash can once a day.

They likely won't get the $17.50/night that Carnival SUGGESTS I give them for my 5-guest interior room, but they also won't be working very hard for the $10 or so that I plan to give them.

Ok, now you're twisting your story again. You said you would get your own towels and leave your Do Not Disturb sign on. So you would NOT be using their services at all. So you'll give them $10/night for emptying your trash can and giving you towels, but you won't give them $17/night for doing that AND vaccuuming, cleaning the bathroom, making your bed, etc???

Come ON!!!!

just make sure you hide your 5 toothbrushes.

If you know that it is customary to tip in this industry and that the majority of their pay is derived from tips and yet you choose not to tip for reasons other than poor service then you my friend are stealing money from the person that provides you this service. You are a thief plain and simple, don't try to run from that moniker. Man up and stand tall and say "I'm having my vacation on the backs of the service workers of Carnival. Look how smart I am! My vacation cost me less than yours did. I had a bad year, I deserve this!" I would have more respect for someone who had the guts to actually say it.

I'm tired of hearing the "why should I pay for Carnival's employees" chorus. Do you not understand simple economics? If you weren't tipping then the price would be increased to retain the employee. Your cruise fare would go up. Carnival doesn't have a printing press cranking out $20's back at Miami. Where does the money come from? You, the cruise going public. I would rather have the ability to reward good service and punish bad.

It may be "nobody's business" what you tip, but understand that those that do not tip for reasons other than pooor service are held in contempt by me. I could care less what mental midget gymastics you use to justify it.

So there is no confusion where I stand, I tip the customary amount unless I receive bad service, then I will adjust accordingly. If someone goes above and beyond in a big way I may tip more, usually not that often though. My post is aimed squarely at those that have no service issues but adjust their tips down or remove them altogether.

Okay! :rolleyes:

Just curious.......why wouldn't you want your bathroom cleaned daily. Sheets changed twice a week, floors vacuumed, clean glasses to rinse your mouths out every day, showers scrubbed, room service trays taken away, extra beds put up and out of the way plus more for onl;y $3.50 p/p:confused: What am I missing:confused:

If what I said bothers you so much, I must have hit close to home.

If you choose to tip below the customary amount for reasons other than poor service, then I hold you in contempt. Am I talking to you? I don't know how you tip. Maybe you do reduce your tips for reasons other than bad service, maybe you don't. If you do, you know where I stand.

I agree with most of what you are saying however your approach is somewhat lacking. Being rude and calling names doesn't get your point across. People are more likely to listen if you remain calm and polite.

But I also believe it isn't my place to tell people how to spend their money. Whether you or I or anyone else disagree, tipping is optional and at each persons discretion on the amount. If the cruise lines wanted to force the issue, which clearly they don't, they could just make it a mandatory service charge. Do what you believe is right and everyone else has to decide for themselves what is right.

Just curious.......why wouldn't you want your bathroom cleaned daily. Sheets changed twice a week, floors vacuumed, clean glasses to rinse your mouths out every day, showers scrubbed, room service trays taken away, extra beds put up and out of the way plus more for onl;y $3.50 p/p:confused: What am I missing:confused:

That's what I don't get either. :confused:

Yikes! They will make up for the "break" your giving them on the day you debark. I'm a little worried for him/her:eek: Maybe I misunderstand, maybe you're going to spend the week keeping it clean yourself so the steward does't have extra work when you leave??

I agree with most of what you are saying however your approach is somewhat lacking. Being rude and calling names doesn't get your point across. People are more likely to listen if you remain calm and polite.

But I also believe it isn't my place to tell people how to spend their money. Whether you or I or anyone else disagree, tipping is optional and at each persons discretion on the amount. If the cruise lines wanted to force the issue, which clearly they don't, they could just make it a mandatory service charge. Do what you believe is right and everyone else has to decide for themselves what is right.

No one is going to have an epiphany and say "wow, I've been wrong all this time". I would be happy if they quit trying to justify it. Since tipping isn't mandatory (and this discussion could move to a restaurant thread easily), some people will not tip. Fact of life. I'll have to settle for telling them what I think of them. Even that won't matter to anybody but me and I'm ok with that. I have no illusions about swaying someone.

I truly hope that once you get on the cruise you will see how hard your steward and his/her assitant work for you.

Blanket statement, I'm sure they work hard, sometimes, like any job. My room is so easy to clean. They make the bed and change the towels. I tip them because its policy, like the dress code, which is not followed by half the passengers. People should tip what they feel right, up or down. Just like they dress how they feel is right. If something was a rule, the cruise line would change the policy. Don't let people on this board change your decision. These cruises are set up to charge you for something everywhere you go. Only you can decide what you want to buy or not. Don't be pressured.

just some food for thought.

I have read over and over the threads about tips and whether to tip or not...

I tip always have always will.

I thought I would put it in numbers so those who have issues can see just how little these crew members that are taking care of your daily whims and needs are making.

Using info from the carnival site using the CONQUEST as an example

2974 passengers when full

1150 total crew ( i will use 1000 as my number who share in tips -admit it may be high)

2974*10/day* 7= 208180 (total in auto tips)

208180/1000 =208.18 per crew member

for the week.

$208 for 7 days roughly10-12 hour days if not more

yes i know this in addition to what ever salary they get, which from what I understand isn't much.

that is not much people considering the amount of work they do do so you can enjoy your vacation.

The more obvious question is, "Why would I want to pay $87.50 over the course of my 5-night cruise for something that I can do myself in less than 5 minutes per day?" I'm willing to give the steward the $10/day (more than if we only had the standard two guests in our room), simply because they expect to receive income from every room. However, it doesn't take 5 times the effort to clean a room with 5 people, so I won't be providing 5 times the housekeeping tip.

I honestly don't care that you all think I'm cheap. I tip generously when I feel it's appropriate, and I have no problem leaving no tip at all if the service I receive is poor. If the room steward on my cruise blows me away with amazing service, I won't think twice about leaving him/her with something extra. However, I won't be bullied into believing that $17.50 per night for my tiny interior room is an appropriate tip amount simply because it's what Carnival auto-assigns.

Sooo if she does not use the service all week...... which is fine....the stewards will still have to clean up their cabin on the day of debarkation....right? So does this mean the next people that come in should pay for this service:confused:

I think they said they would leave something at the end of the cruise, yet to be determined. That would cover the end cleaning I assume.

Nobody ever comments when I ask this question on a tipping thread, and for the record we do intend on leaving tips on before you assume otherwise. BUT considering all the money Carnival makes, why don't they just pay their workers a livable wage? Why is it up to Carnival customers to subsidize salaries when we're already paying for the vacation?

Do you ask that question when you dine at a restaurant or when you go for a haircut????

It is common practice for an employer to pay minimum wages or less to tipped employees.

The more obvious question is, "Why would I want to pay $87.50 over the course of my 5-night cruise for something that I can do myself in less than 5 minutes per day?" I'm willing to give the steward the $10/day (more than if we only had the standard two guests in our room), simply because they expect to receive income from every room. However, it doesn't take 5 times the effort to clean a room with 5 people, so I won't be providing 5 times the housekeeping tip.

I honestly don't care that you all think I'm cheap. I tip generously when I feel it's appropriate, and I have no problem leaving no tip at all if the service I receive is poor. If the room steward on my cruise blows me away with amazing service, I won't think twice about leaving him/her with something extra. However, I won't be bullied into believing that $17.50 per night for my tiny interior room is an appropriate tip amount simply because it's what Carnival auto-assigns.

Thanks you answered what was obvious from the get go,

And obvously you have never been on a cruise before......

Chances are the people with the Grand Suite are going to tip above and beyond because they obviously aren't skimping. ;)

Actually, the one time we had the Grand Suite, we had the worst service we've ever received! I still left the auto-tip in place because we did get clean towels (but not every day) and our bed was made and our room was vacuumed (maybe twice the whole week). But, had he given us the service we've gotten on every other cruise we've taken, he would have received more than the auto-tip. :rolleyes:

I truly appreciate the advice about the Matre 'd, but I'm actually more confused. Someone earlier in the thread made it seem like tipping the Matre 'd was expected. Is this not true?

In 7 cruises I've tipped the maitre d once, and that was on my last cruise because he arranged for DD and me to have a table for two. Other than that, no maitre d has ever even come by our table on any night, including the last night of the cruise.

I bet they HAVE been on a cruise. They just disagree with you, and your tipping habits. Is it that hard to believe they have a different view point on the matter?

He can't stand the fact that this person just may take home more $$ than him at the end of every week.

If that's the case, wait til he sees how 'comfy' 5 in an interior cabin is going to be.....

1) how can a cabin steward blow you away with amazing service, if you're not ALLOWING him/her to do anything in your room?

2) Again, Why would you pay $10/night for the steward to do NOTHING?

2A) If you are willing to pay the steward $10/night to do NOTHING, why wouldn't you pay the steward the $17.50 to actually do his/her job?

EDITED TO ADD: 3) WHY ON EARTH would you pay the room steward MORE if there were only 2 of you in a room if you're making such a deal about this???

I mean, honestly, whatever you do doesn't have any bearing on me whatsoever, but if you're going to prove a point, PROVE it.

Carnival obviously feels that $17.50 is appropriate for services that are standard and provided to everyone on board. This is comparable to other lines (LESS than some, even!) So the industry feels that this is appropriate for standard services rendered. If services are substandard, they give you an opportunity to adjust. If services are above standard, you have the opportunity to adjust. You are choosing to not accept those services so you don't have to pay for said service - not because of substandard service (which you won't even give the person the opportunity to provide!).

1) how can a cabin steward blow you away with amazing service, if you're not ALLOWING him/her to do anything in your room?

2) Again, Why would you pay $10/night for the steward to do NOTHING?

2A) If you are willing to pay the steward $10/night to do NOTHING, why wouldn't you pay the steward the $17.50 to actually do his/her job?

I mean, honestly, whatever you do doesn't have any bearing on me whatsoever, but if you're going to prove a point, PROVE it.

Carnival obviously feels that $17.50 is appropriate for services that are standard and provided to everyone on board. This is comparable to other lines (LESS than some, even!) So the industry feels that this is appropriate for standard services rendered. If services are substandard, they give you an opportunity to adjust. If services are above standard, you have the opportunity to adjust. You are choosing to not accept those services so you don't have to pay for said service - not because of substandard service (which you won't even give the person the opportunity to provide!).

Your logic will just irritate them.

I hope that you and anyone else who plans on removing tips (either completely or even a portion) even before you board has enough guts to do it when you first board and not on the last day. Might as well, so the staff is aware just how much you think of them and their worth.

Archived