tips

anjanetted

We are going on our first cruise July 31, 2011.

Please tell us if what we are doing is incorrect.

My BF, Leonardo (leothelion on CC) and I prepaid our gratuities when we booked our cruise and thought that was the proper thing to do.

I have read about people giving the Steward $20 or $50 extra at the beginning or end of the cruise. And doing the same to the waitstaff in the MDR.

I told Leonardo that by prepaying we were doing right by the workers. We both know from reading CC that the staff definitely earns their tips.

How will the Steward and MDR staff know we prepaid their tips?

You've done well. :p I have never given a tip at the beginning (you've opened a new can of worms--now we'll debate if that's a tip or a bribe! LOL) and with only one exception, we've always had excellent service. On most of our cruises, it's been so good that we have, indeed, tipped an additional amount to our steward ($20 or so). We've also had wait teams who treated our DD like an absolute princess (which, of course, she is) and we've tipped them extra as well because they've made such a big difference in her cruise experience (and mine, too!). :D

Have a wonderful cruise!

Did you also know they get free room and board, health insurance, free meals, discount on drinks etc......

I don't think any of us really know how much their base salary is, I heard it was more like $50 a month. Now you also have to remember they pay no taxes and their conversion rate is outrageous if they are from India or the Phillipines etc......

So take all that into consideration they are making way more money then someone in the states making minimum wage........

I knew about free room/board & meals, but not everything else. Thanks for sharing :)

Honestly, I like debating people (politics, religion, sports, tipping habits, etc. :D), and I think I've done it in a respectful way. Keeps my mind sharp, and, hopefully gets the opposition to think of a better case to use to back their opinion (as it does for me). Unfortunately, Majhong has sort of "disengaged" me and has "engaged" the hooplah people (and has given everyone the runaround with different stories). I guess the failure to engage would declare me the winner in the debate. Not that what I say is right, just that I argued better. ;)

Melissa, I really like you!:) Yes, you are very respectful and that, if nothing else, say volumes about you! Majhong is just feeding off of the negativity in this thread. Most NORMAL posters would have just let it go....and moved on....but he/she insist and keeping his "audience" entertained...lol

In fact, he/she is probably not as "new" as his post count would lead us to believe. He/she is probably and old poster looking to rattle some feathers under a new screen name.....:rolleyes:

we've always pre paid the tips and never felt the need to adjust down even tho the option is there. we've never tipped the cabin steward on the first day but ALWAYS on the last day because they have been exceptional every time. the dining room staff we've always tipped extra because they've always been good! just got off the conquest on sunday 5/22, that friday i went to the service desk to put some cash on our ss and there was a couple in front of me with ALL of their drink receipts taking the 15% off of every single one....:confused: they did look "cheap"

I'm not criticizing your approach, but I question how you can believe the cabin stewards have been "exceptional every time". Surely at some point you must have realized that their service was "typical", not "exceptional". By definition, the service can only be "exceptional" if it is "an exception", rather than "typical" or "normal". If something happens every time, it is not the "exception". I think you're tipping for typical service, not exceptional service. I don't criticize that, but I think you should understand what you're doing, and it is potentially misleading to post that your service was "exceptional" (which most people might take to mean a level that you might expect to receive, on average, only 5-10% of the time).

My BF, Leonardo (leothelion on CC) and I prepaid our gratuities when we booked our cruise and thought that was the proper thing to do.

I have read about people giving the Steward $20 or $50 extra at the beginning or end of the cruise. And doing the same to the waitstaff in the MDR.

I told Leonardo that by prepaying we were doing right by the workers. We both know from reading CC that the staff definitely earns their tips.

The staff is tild that there are prepaid tips and given them at the end of the cruise. If you get some above and beyond service you can tip extra. Also have a few ones in case you get room service to give them a tip

How do you think they get more pay when you are removing a portion? Will you be telling them at the same time you will be reducing the standard customary amount when you tell them that all of their services will not be needed? The rooms that are for 5 people are not the same as the ones as for 2 people... they set aside rooms based on the occupancy.

I just did an imaginary booking and all I did was change the number of passengers. I chose the same sail date, cabin type and deck. Lo and behold, I couldn't select the same room I could when I reduced it to 2 passengers from 5.

I disagree, cleaning a room with 5 passengers in it, the same room that houses two passengers, takes no longer to clean. It's the same size no matter what. The time it takes to clean one of these rooms only depends on how messy the people are. Two or 5 passengers doesn't matter, and should not require more tipping for the same job. OP needs to tip what he/she feels is correct for them. It's a tipping guideline not required.

OMG... I thought it was for 7 days... so we're not even talking $70pp, we're talking $50???

Yeah, you make fun of them, but that might be a lot of money for this family. They are going on their first cruise, and who knows how long they have saved up to go. Perhaps they did not plan for the extra charges. So many of you attacking a family for trying to something nice. Shame on you.

Prepaying is fine. That takes care of everyone except room service which you can give a buck or two. We just leave the auto tips on and that is it.

An of course you are automatically charged a 15% tip on drinks.

Yeah, you make fun of them, but that might be a lot of money for this family. They are going on their first cruise, and who knows how long they have saved up to go. Perhaps they did not plan for the extra charges. So many of you attacking a family for trying to something nice. Shame on you.

They said it would be an additional $59. They know.... they just don't think it is worth paying......even though they have never cruised before.

Ah you have a great point!! Maybe the night before their cruise they should all five go to Olive Garden to kick off the vaycay! They really only need to tip on Mom & Dads food tho, because they would probably have the same table whether the kids were there or not..:rolleyes:

I disagree, cleaning a room with 5 passengers in it, the same room that houses two passengers, takes no longer to clean. It's the same size no matter what. The time it takes to clean one of these rooms only depends on how messy the people are. Two or 5 passengers doesn't matter, and should not require more tipping for the same job. OP needs to tip what he/she feels is correct for them. It's a tipping guideline not required.

So 5 people won't dirty one toilet or shower more than 2 people? 5 people don't have more sheets than 2 people? 5 people don't have more trash than 2 people? 5 people don't have more room service dishes than 2 people? Not to mention getting the beds up and out of the way every day.....who are you kidding:confused:

So it takes longer to vacuum a rug at the end if it wasn't vacuumed for the five days prior? It takes longer to wipe a counter, toilet, and sink than it would it if was wiped each of the previous 5 days? Now you've just got me playing devil's advocate, but let's be real here. The cleanup at the end is going to be the exact same as it would have been if the steward was doing it all along. Anyone who creates so much mess in five days that it would make a more difficult room to clean is obviously a pretty filthy person. Some of us pick up after ourselves as we go along and don't create a giant mess.

And let's get back to my original claims, since you all seem to have developed my story into something it wasn't. I never said I wasn't going to allow the stewards into the room at all, nor did I claim I wasn't going to tip them. What I said was that I wasn't necessarily going to request all of the services (bedmaking, turndown, vacuuming, etc.) and I wasn't planning to pay $17.50 per night for a small interior room. What I claimed I was going to do is pay MORE than what the steward would receive for my same room if we were only two guests for LESS work than the steward would have to perform in a typical room with two guests. The steward does less work and gets more pay. I'm not being cheap. I'm being realistic.

OK Lets take a look at just what this inside room for 5 will look like set up ... Here is a post by mahgobbi .... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=29249356#post29249356

the answer is YES it does take longer to do normal tasks when there is no room in the cabin. Any non-intelligent person can see from the pictures you yourself posted that it will take longer just to walk through the door never mind make beds find wet towels and trash under cramped beds. JMHO

as quoted from another thread .... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=29039044#post29039044

mahgobbi

Cool Cruiser

Just because cruises can be affordable with lower occupancy, doesn't mean that everybody thinks the additional cost is a good investment. My husband and I are booked on a 5-night cruise in October with our three teenagers (two 14-year old boys and a 15-year old girl). All five of us are all sharing one standard-size interior cabin. The trip came to a grand total of $1,100 for all five of us AFTER taxes and fees. It would have cost $1,550 for us to get two interior (not connected) rooms. We easily could have afforded it, but I have no desire to spend an extra $450 (41% increase in price) just so we can have two cabins that we aren't planning to spend any time in anyway. Yes, we'll be packed like sardines in that little room together, but there are an awful lot of ways I'd prefer to spend $450 than on an extra room. I'm not judging people who choose to spend their money fancier rooms, but there are plenty of people out there like me who prefer to live a frugal lifestyle and value quantity over quality (to an extent). I would much prefer to take three cruises in a cramped room than two cruises separate interior rooms (and I doubt I'd EVER pay extra for an ocean-view or balcony room unless it was only a few dollars more than the interior).

So 5 people won't dirty one toilet or shower more than 2 people? 5 people don't have more sheets than 2 people? 5 people don't have more trash than 2 people? 5 people don't have more room service dishes than 2 people? Not to mention getting the beds up and out of the way every day.....who are you kidding:confused:

Five people may or may not "dirty a toilet" more that two, but will it take the same time to clean it regardless? It is eithe dirty, or it is not; and then it is clean, or it is not.

I think this is an odd discussion. On average, it will take more time to service a cabin occupied by 5 people than it will to service she same cabin occupied by 2 people. However, it will not take 150% longer (i.e., 2.5 times as long). It might take 25-50% longer, but I think that might be at the high end of the range.

I have some sympathy for the issue when it comes to a first-time passenger. When you book your hotel room, you don't find out later that there is an extra auto-tip, with pressure to leave it on. I appreciate that a hotel is not a cruise, but a good portion of the tip goes to the cabin staff, so in that sense, it is a fair comparison.

For a long time, I actually considered the "auto-tip" practice borderline dishonst and argued for it to be included in the cabin fare. First-time passengers shouldn't be surprised about this extra "voluntary" fare component. If you believe the vast majority of posters here, the only time you would ever remove an auto tip would be in the extremely rare type of case when, if the auto-tip was built into the fare, you would complain so bitterly about the service that you would expect a refund. So why not just add the tip to the fare and leave it at that? In the 1-2% of cases that someone has received such poor service that they complain about it (i.e., the equivalent of removing the auto tips), the admin desk could be willing to provide a refund of the equivalent amount (i.e., essentially the same net result).

However, I realized that many posters here also consider you a chepskate if all you tip is just the auto-tips (even if you don't use any additional optional services). Then I realized that if they added the auto-tips to the fare, there would be an expectation that all passengers should "do the right thing" and provide extra cash tips (just like you're expected to tip when you eat at a restaurant). The net result would be an overall increase in cost, not a net zero change with an increase in transparency as to the true all-in cost.

As a reslult, I'm happy to leave the auto-tips separate and not feel any pressure to tip another dime if that's what the circumstances merit. It would still be nice to see the auto-tip in the cabin fare to see a true picture of the cruise cost, but not at the risk of a gradual slide toward additional cash tips on top of the auto-tips.

You have it backwards shame on the family for jipping the crew. If they must take a vacation then stay at a beach house and cook your own meals, do the dishes, vacumn your own floor and clean the bathroom.

as quoted from another thread .... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=29039044#post29039044

mahgobbi

Cool Cruiser

Just because cruises can be affordable with lower occupancy, doesn't mean that everybody thinks the additional cost is a good investment. My husband and I are booked on a 5-night cruise in October with our three teenagers (two 14-year old boys and a 15-year old girl). All five of us are all sharing one standard-size interior cabin. The trip came to a grand total of $1,100 for all five of us AFTER taxes and fees. It would have cost $1,550 for us to get two interior (not connected) rooms. We easily could have afforded it, but I have no desire to spend an extra $450 (41% increase in price) just so we can have two cabins that we aren't planning to spend any time in anyway. Yes, we'll be packed like sardines in that little room together, but there are an awful lot of ways I'd prefer to spend $450 than on an extra room. I'm not judging people who choose to spend their money fancier rooms, but there are plenty of people out there like me who prefer to live a frugal lifestyle and value quantity over quality (to an extent). I would much prefer to take three cruises in a cramped room than two cruises separate interior rooms (and I doubt I'd EVER pay extra for an ocean-view or balcony room unless it was only a few dollars more than the interior).

Sounds like WallyWorld to me...

...not 'shame on him' for removing the tips? :confused:

He hasn't even recieved the service yet, but feels the stewards make too much so he wants to tip for only 2 people opposed to 5.

Understand something here...if you post something like that on a public message board, you need to be prepared for the flack you're gonna get.

To take $17.50 per night in auto-tips for a room with five people is unacceptable.

. So $17.50 times 30 minutes is an hourly rate of $35 on top of whatever base pay they are receiving (which I know isn't much, but I don't believe to be $0.15 per hour). I'm sorry, but while I appreciate the work that they do, I don't believe it warrants an annual salary in excess of $75,000 per year! Most college graduates, professionals, and skilled laborers don't make that kind of money.

THAT is quite awful...basically this guy is saying the cabin stewards are 'undeserving' Why? Because they don't have degrees or they aren't 'professionals'???????????...That makes me nauseous.

Posted By melli_fera

icon1.gifI get your point regarding the room steward...

I get your point regarding the room steward only...

Honestly, I like debating people (politics, religion, sports, tipping habits, etc. :D), and I think I've done it in a respectful way. Keeps my mind sharp, and, hopefully gets the opposition to think of a better case to use to back their opinion (as it does for me). Unfortunately, Majhong has sort of "disengaged" me and has "engaged" the hooplah people (and has given everyone the runaround with different stories). I guess the failure to engage would declare me the winner in the debate. Not that what I say is right, just that I argued better. ;)

Extreme couponing on the high seas anyone? :p

You originally told mahgobbi that you got their point about the room steward tips..

How about posts that are your honest opinions vs. ones composed to keep your mind sharp:rolleyes:

I'm just saying it was dissapointing to stumble on this after enjoying all you witty posts last night, this kinda negates all of them:(

mahgobbi

Cool Cruiser

While I could never in a million years do this (I don't care if the cruise was all out-all inclusive and FREE, not costing me a penny), I can indeed wrap my mind around frugality and practicality...Ok, scratch that because this is frugal but it isn't practical in any way shape or form....but I digress....

While the frugality of this can be admirable, there is NO way that tipping for only two when there are 5 people on board that ship is admirable at all.

And fwiw, I can't believe that CCL even allows 5 people in one small cabin...that's just wrong.

Posted By melli_fera

icon1.gifI get your point regarding the room steward...

I get your point regarding the room steward only...

You originally told mahgobbi that you got their point about the room steward tips..

How about posts that are your honest opinions vs. ones composed to keep your mind sharp:rolleyes:

I'm just saying it was dissapointing to stumble on this after enjoying all you witty posts last night, this kinda negates all of them:(

"getting" a point and agreeing with it are 2 different things. Also, I was presented with new info this morning (QUANTITY over QUALITY) and had just heard the extreme couponing people from TLC on my morning radio show. A zinger? Yeah, a little. I admit it. Heat of the moment sort of thing. I'll own that.

Don't give up on me yet!

Archived