Port Canaveral Shuttles to Orlando Theme Parks

mit01

I was wondering if anyone had and experience with taking a shuttle from Port Canaveral to either Disney or Universal. We'll be there on Pride over Thanksgiving, and we're looking at going to Universal for the day. I know the ship offers an excursion that includes park tickets, but we've already got tickets.

I realize we can rent a car, but sometimes that can be a hassle.

Thanks for any input.

Steve

OMG!! Don't go at that time, the park will be packed like sardines:eek::eek:

I hear ya, but it's hard to pass up freebie tickets that expire at the end of the year!!:D

Go to the Homeland Ports and look for Port Canavaral. You might find some shuttle services that others have used and their prices, if not, you can always post the question.

In my opinion its a LONG way (about an hour) just to get to the park, then Disney has the you get to the ferry or mono-rail just to get to the park. You won't have much time at all. Seriously look into renting a car for the day, do express check-in and go from there. You might come out cheaper depending on how many you're going to have to pay for in a shuttle.

Universal (if that's your freebee) won't be as bad as Disney, but still busy. They get not only their own visitors but the Disney overflow. It's still quite a walk from the parking garage. Please remember which level you parked at and the area. My ex used to work security, people forgot where they parkrd and accuse security of moving their car!!! Most forgot where they were, or forgot to look for their rental car (not their own).

I was wondering if anyone had and experience with taking a shuttle from Port Canaveral to either Disney or Universal. We'll be there on Pride over Thanksgiving, and we're looking at going to Universal for the day. I know the ship offers an excursion that includes park tickets, but we've already got tickets.

I realize we can rent a car, but sometimes that can be a hassle.

Thanks for any input.

Steve

Hey Steve: It is cheaper and you will have more flexibility if you rent a car for the day. I rented a car at Budget for the day -- they pick you up right from the ship at Port Canaveral and they are 2 minutes away. I think we paid $70 for the day, versus what would have been several hundred dollars for the four of us on a shuttle. It's about a 75 minute drive to Universal, no more. Have fun.

I am all ears on this subject. We are planning on doing the same thing except we are going to Disney. We have never been to Disney so even if it were crowded, I don't think we would care. If someone has used a service before please shout it out. I would love to hear too.

I am all ears on this subject. We are planning on doing the same thing except we are going to Disney. We have never been to Disney so even if it were crowded, I don't think we would care. If someone has used a service before please shout it out. I would love to hear too.

Not sure you've encountered a Disney crowd over a holiday week. Not only is it tight, but it's almost each man for himself, A ride may take hours, yes hours to get on. Disney has hiding long lines down to a science of hiding hundreds behind the first door. I assume you mean Magic Kingdom. First, wait in the car and creep to the parking lot, be told where to park, Memorize which parking lot and what row number as that's the only way to get back there, wait for the tram while fighting off tram jumpers running ahead of you, get to a gate, get to either the monorail (the right one) or the boat, to get to the gate and open your bags at security checkpoint ( that may be earlier). Yes, it will be an experience and one to remember as a crowded but fun experience to talk about for years to come. Stay close to each other, keep valuables out of pickpocket reach. Just be prepared for long waits. Eat before you go, everything is expensive.

I'll second the recommendation to rent a car - I did so during my last trip and had no hassles. Check when the rental car agency sends it's last shuttle to the ship and make sure you get back before that - you'll want to do that anyway to make sure you get on the ship in time to board. Also be aware of electronic toll policy for the rental - there are tolls on the Beach Line Expressway. I'm not sure if the bridge repair is done yet or not -- if not, expect the return trip to take an extra 20+ minutes or so.

As for Thanksgiving week at Disney or Universal, I'm down there every year for the second half of November, and usually visit the parks. Here's my take:

The week before thanksgiving week - Low crowds, all week long. People won't be arriving until the weekend. Good time to go.

Saturday through Monday before Thanksgiving - crowded, but not awful.

Tuesday & Wednesday before Thanksgiving - very crowded, but nothing compared to summer crowds. Get there early and hit the big attractions first thing in the morning.

Thanksgiving Day - Quite possibly the best day in the year to go to the Orlando parks, IMHO. They're a bit like a ghost town that day.

Black Friday - Quite possibly one of the worst days in the year to go to the parks, especially Magic Kingdom and Universal Islands of Adventure. Almost as bad as summer.

Saturday & Sunday after Thanksgiving - Not quite as bad as Black Friday, but still pretty bad.

The week after thanksgiving week - A lot of people go home on Sunday and Monday. So it's not as good as the week before thanksgiving week, but still pretty good during the week.

Archived