Cruise with minors, permission to travel

phoebedog

Hello,

I am taking my son and nephew on the Scandinavian Getaway from Dover next month (my other half chickened out, says he doesn't like water).

We have completed a "permission to travel with minors letter"

but it says this has to be witnessed by a Notary?? Does this mean a visit to a Solicitor?

Has anyone else had to do this. We all have United Kingdom passports.

Many thanks.

Helen.

PS they are hoping there will be lots of Americans on board, is this likely???:)

In the U.S., a notary public is authorized to acknowledge the signing of documents, but does not advise or represent clients in legal matters as solicitors and barristers do. In the U.S., we lump solicitors and barristers into one term: attorneys or lawyers.

Apparently there are notaries in the UK, but most of them are solicitors as well. From wikipedia:

In practice the need for notaries in purely English legal matters is very small; for example they are not involved in normal property transactions. Since a great many solicitors also perform the function of commissioners for oaths and can witness routine declarations etc. (all are qualified to do so, but not all offer the service), most work performed by notaries relates to international matters in some way, and documents needing to be used abroad, and many of the small number of English notaries have strong foreign language skills and often a foreign legal qualification. The Notaries Society gives the number of notaries in England and Wales as "about 1000," all but 70 of whom are solicitors.

The rest of the article might give you insight as to how to find one locally:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notary_public#United_Kingdom

Thank you.

It has thrown us rather. I take them on holiday at least twice a year by plane, booking via travel agents, and have never been asked to take proof of permission. It's all new to us this cruising lark!!!:)

Has anyone mentioned to you a 'medical power of attorney' which enables you to seek medical care and treatment for your nephew if he should have an accident or become ill while traveling with you.

I don't know the law as pertain to U.K., but in U.S., you possibly could need that seeing nephew's parents are not present.

As to how many Americans will be aboard with you, what ship/what itinerary? It could vary if it is one of the U.S. main line cruise lines vs. P & O or a more "European" line.

Hope you all have a wonderful time.

Hello,

I am taking my son and nephew on the Scandinavian Getaway from Dover next month (my other half chickened out, says he doesn't like water).

We have completed a "permission to travel with minors letter"

but it says this has to be witnessed by a Notary?? Does this mean a visit to a Solicitor?

Has anyone else had to do this. We all have United Kingdom passports.

Many thanks.

Helen.

PS they are hoping there will be lots of Americans on board, is this likely???:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

One place in the US where there normally is a notary is a bank. You may want to check at yours.

This has become the norm when children are traveling without both parents to prove to the cruise lines that the children are not being kidnapped etc.

Has anyone mentioned to you a 'medical power of attorney' which enables you to seek medical care and treatment for your nephew if he should have an accident or become ill while traveling with you.

I don't know the law as pertain to U.K., but in U.S., you possibly could need that seeing nephew's parents are not present.

As to how many Americans will be aboard with you, what ship/what itinerary? It could vary if it is one of the U.S. main line cruise lines vs. P & O or a more "European" line.

Hope you all have a wonderful time.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention, I had better look into the Medical care side of things too.

We are on 7 night trip to Norway, Sweden & Denmark on Ryndam.

On Ryndam, Yes...... there should be lots of Americans.

That's a beautiful ship. We have sailed her a number of times and had great cruises.

Lovely itinerary...... Copenhagen is delightful. Let the boys get a glimpse of Tivoli. :)

Hope you enjoy this pretty ship as much as we have.

The medical form is simple enough. Just a basic statement by the parents you are authorized to seek medical care, if necessary, and make medical decisions on his behalf. Specify the dates you are traveling, name of ship and cities you will be visiting, with expected date of return home.

Have them sign and may as well get that notarized with the other statement.

Notaries in the U.S. are very common and no need to be an attorney to be a notary. It's very easy to be 'sworn' but certain documents do need a notarized signature. Many don't even charge to witness/notarize a signature.

That's incredible. Actually it's shocking.

I know people here notarize things all the time for no charge. It takes them a minute or two. What kind of a big production can they make out of witnessing signatures and verifying the people are who they say they are?

Keep looking. Ask around. Maybe one of your friend's son is an attorney/notary. A nephew, cousin......whatever. It's awful to have to pay that much. You don't need them to draw up the document. You only need them to witness signatures.

It is bugging me someone wants to charge so much for such a simple thing.

I just had a thought.....

Ask your TA if they have a notary working in their office. They might have had to handle these sort of travel letters in the past and notaries are so common, they may well be able to refer you for a much lower cost.

What you are doing is actually very serious business. Anytime you travel with children it can be very serious business. If they are not your own children, then it is more problematic.

Certainly you will need the authorization of BOTH parents. Should one parent be deceased, a death certificate should be produced. Power of Attorney in the event of a medical emergency, as noted, is also a VERY good idea.

International child abduction is what immigration services are concerned with here. Ideally, you should look at the website of the Embassy of each country you are traveling to to see what their requirements are for admission visas.

This is not something that you do cavalierly. Your documents must be notarized. Immigration Officers must be able to TRUST the documentation you present.

Enjoy your vacation.

Glad there will be Americans!

Doing the research, it seems the problem is that Notaries are common place in America, but rare in UK. I can easily get a solicitor/lawyer friend to be the witness but not specifically a Notary without this huge charge.

I notice on another forum someone says Royal Caribbean have realised this difference in legal systems/terms and their consent form says Solicitor or Notary or Commissioner for Oaths??!!. I have printed it off to peruse.:p

I think its crazy what we have to go through to go on a trip. I had to get my ex who has nothing to do with his kids (by his choice) to sign for the passports and now i have to get to write a letter. Hell the paper work he signed for the passports should be good enoug

Hurrah!!

I have spoken to Holland America and they say as we don't really have the equivalent of a US Notary Public (it's a bit like me trying to find a Sheriff in England!), I can just get the letters signed by the parents and take a copy of the parents' passports showing their signature.

What a huge relief.:):)

Hurrah!!

I have spoken to Holland America and they say as we don't really have the equivalent of a US Notary Public (it's a bit like me trying to find a Sheriff in England!), I can just get the letters signed by the parents and take a copy of the parents' passports showing their signature.

What a huge relief.:):)

HAL reps are not and do not speak for Immigration Officers of foreign or any other lands.

Check the immigration requirements specifically of the countries you are visiting.

Smooth sailing...

I think its crazy what we have to go through to go on a trip. I had to get my ex who has nothing to do with his kids (by his choice) to sign for the passports and now i have to get to write a letter. Hell the paper work he signed for the passports should be good enoug

Immigration authorities deal with cases of international child abduction every day. It is sad, but one or the other parent will (or have) taken their child abroad with the express intention of not returning home. Then, the other parent calls authorities demanding to know why they let their child be so abducted.

The result: the rules you see as unreasonable.

The rules are necessary and we should all be very glad for them.

Archived