Late departure option

We took a five night cruise from Barcelona this Easter on the Liberty (fabulous by the way). Our return flight wasnt till 11.30pm and we werent looking forward to any of the possible options - hanging round the airport for hours, or trailing round Barcelona with all our luggage etc. We had cruised with RCI before and never seen the late departure option but were very happy to take it up. We could take our time in our room (had to be out by 9.00am) had a late breakfast and spent the rest of the day round the pool. Towels were available and we could use the gym and showers for changing. And of course we took full advantage of the Windjammer for lunch. We would do it again in the same circumstances. It was around $30 per person.

Hi there, yes we used it in May when departing from our Liberty sailing in Barcelona.

As our return flight to the UK was not until very late evening, then it was worth the approximately £22 each to us so we didn't have to drag bags around Barcelona.

You get special luggage tags for Late Departure to identify any bags you want RCI to take off the ship (as normal procedure) and so they have to be outside your stateroom for collection (our time was 7:00 - 11:00 pm).

You have late departure stickers to put on your SeaPass cards.

Your SeaPass account will be closed as normal on the morning of departure if you have lodged a credit card with RCI up by 8:00 am.

You can then use credit cards in the bars and Spa if required.

If you have a cash account you must settle this by 8:00 am.

You will be asked to vacate your stateroom by 9:00 am and a venue will be provided for storing carry-on bags from 9:00 am - 3:30 pm. You will be given a receipt for each bag stored.

If you have booked transfers to the airport with RCI, you will be notified of the pick up times.

You be told of the emergency muster stations for late departure guests.

You need to leave the ship by 3:30pm at the latest.

There will be a Late Departure 'Planner' provided that gives you details of the opening times of venues, including the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch and the various bars around the ship.

Personally we dropped our bags off at the designated 'left luggage' drop and relaxed on the pool deck, primarily in the Solarium.

Tea/Coffee/Water and snacks were available from Cafe Promenade to keep us refreshed until lunch in the Windjammer. We had lunch and then spent a couple of hours watching the new excited passengers who had recently boarded.

There were several activities available to keep you entertained.

e.g.

Mini Golf on the sports deck 13

Table Tennis, deck 13

Board Games in the Card Room, deck 14

Suffleboard, deck 4

Fitness Centre, deck 11

Movies in the Screening Room, deck 2

Day Spa, deck 12

The bar at Cafe Promenade opened from 7:00 am - 2:00 pm.

All others opened at 11:30

We left the ship at 3:00 pm and took the port bus to Port Vell and then caught the subway/train to the airport.

If there is anything else I can help with, let me know.

Thanks to both of you for the quick reply. Really like answers that get straight to the point, and yours were indeed helpful.

@Pete - We have a 5pm flight back to London, so this option would definitely be convenient. I do have a weird question however. Upon disembarking, can you leave your luggage in the terminal, do some sightseeing, and pick them back up? Or is it that once you leave the ship you're required to collect your luggage right away. We're on Vision of the Seas in August and would love to do about 2-3 hours of sightseeing when we get off the ship. Definitely can't do that tugging around luggage. If the luggage cant be left, our other option might be to utilize the luggage facilities at Stockholm's train station.

Upon disembarking, can you leave your luggage in the terminal, do some sightseeing, and pick them back up? Or is it that once you leave the ship you're required to collect your luggage right away. We're on Vision of the Seas in August and would love to do about 2-3 hours of sightseeing when we get off the ship. Definitely can't do that tugging around luggage. If the luggage cant be left, our other option might be to utilize the luggage facilities at Stockholm's train station.

Normally you have to go through customs with your luggage before you are allowed to leave the terminal. I haven't ever cruises out of Europe though, but my guess is that it's a similar process.

Thanks to both of you for the quick reply. Really like answers that get straight to the point, and yours were indeed helpful.

@Pete - We have a 5pm flight back to London, so this option would definitely be convenient. I do have a weird question however. Upon disembarking, can you leave your luggage in the terminal, do some sightseeing, and pick them back up? Or is it that once you leave the ship you're required to collect your luggage right away. We're on Vision of the Seas in August and would love to do about 2-3 hours of sightseeing when we get off the ship. Definitely can't do that tugging around luggage. If the luggage cant be left, our other option might be to utilize the luggage facilities at Stockholm's train station.

We only had carry-on as it was only a 5 night sailing so we didn't have bags offloaded by RCI, but others who came off at the same time were looking for their bags straight away.

I suspect you will have to go through immigration and customs in Stockholm and so will not be allowed back for bags, but not 100%.

I'd use the baggage facilities at Stockholm station and then use the Arlanda express train to the airport (used it many times as I visit Stockholm for business).

Normally you have to go through customs with your luggage before you are allowed to leave the terminal. I haven't ever cruises out of Europe though, but my guess is that it's a similar process.
No immigration nor customs in Barcelona when departing the ship, but I suspect it will be the case in non-EU countries.

Thanks Pete. It's only a 4 night cruise. You've inspired me to travel lightly. Hopefully this will work out perfectly. We'll probably take the hoho bus or boat upon disembarking to do a bit of sightseeing, then we'll make our way to the airport.

You've been great Pete!

Archived