Please help w/ plans; going on Veendam 6/19

carnival2523

Thanks to everyone who gives us ideas or suggestions. We will be on the Veendam leaving this Sun. 6/19. We are a family of 5, boys are 15 & 18, with a 5 year old sibling. They like diving, snorkeling, fishing, golf, sightseeing, thinking of going to the caves, lighthouse, aquarium & zoo. Any suggestions for planning would be appreciated. Should we travel by bus or taxi, tours with HAL or on our own? How do we get to take the horse-carrige tour in St.George or are there other things we should do that day? This is very last minute I know. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who gives us ideas or suggestions. We will be on the Veendam leaving this Sun. 6/19. We are a family of 5, boys are 15 & 18, with a 5 year old sibling. They like diving, snorkeling, fishing, golf, sightseeing, thinking of going to the caves, lighthouse, aquarium & zoo. Any suggestions for planning would be appreciated. Should we travel by bus or taxi, tours with HAL or on our own? How do we get to take the horse-carrige tour in St.George or are there other things we should do that day? This is very last minute I know. Thanks!

Docking in Hamilton you can take bus to Crystal/Fantasy Caves (I'd do both for just $27 since one is $20).. we didn't use buses from Dockyard but since you are in Hamilton you won't have to change buses. View from Gibbes Hill is amazing.. 185 steps up!

Warwick Bay is less crowded than Horseshoe but if you are beach walker you can walk bet. the two.. lovely rock formations and a nice way to get some exercise!

Horse/carriage tour people were near town square last week in St George but I don't "think" you can reserve ahead.. not a lot of people using it though so you hopefully won't have a problem.

It will be "noisy" Wed. evening in Hamilton with Harbor Nights.. we enjoyed it.. local Goombey dancers, drum line and vendors.

Good watering hole with nice views and good food but maybe NOT on Wed. eve when it's noisy is Pickled Onion!

The activities the boys enjoy mean Bermuda will be paradise for them. There are 5-6 world-class golf courses but I think reservations at most are made months in advance and pricey. You can bring your own or rent snorkeling equipment at Church Bay by bus #7 or 8, Tobacco Bay in St. George is a coral protected cove full of beautiful fish and safe for the younger one. The caves are worth the money, the Aquarium/Zoo in Flatts is not to be missed, and the view from the top of Gibbs Hill lighthouse is worth the climb, but don't forget the camera!

I would say grab a bus schedule and get the transportation passes, you can figure it out. They can be used for the busses and ferries. Most residents and shopkeepers will help you out with what bus to take and how often it comes, and tell the bus driver where you want to stop and they'll call it out. Taxis are pretty expensive, so we only use them when we don't want to waste time waiting if a bus isn't due for a while.

If you go by a bookstore before Sunday it would be worth the $15 or so to pick up a Frommer's Bermuda guide, or any other recent BDA guide because the info they provide is invaluable when you want to pack as much as possible into a few days.

Archived