Old Lahaina Luau

Jim and Robin Lincoln

We have this question, also. We are sailing on the Wind on the 4/30 cruise. Since the Lahaina Luau is closed on Tuesday, we are planning this on our own for Monday while the ship is at Kahului. The ship leaves at 10:30 pm.

Do you think we have enough time to go to the Luau and drive back to the ship?

Thanks for your help!

I think you have more than enough time.

I did the same thing and got to the ship on time to leave the dock afterwards. It would be a SHAME if you missed the Old Lahaina Luau.

Also, you should ask your cruise line where you will be docking in Lahaina. There are two docks there is one thats approx. 30 mins from the Old Lahaina Luau and there is one thats across the street from the Old Lahaina Luau (which is where you had to ride those tenders into the city), so if i were you I would ask.

When we were on the statendam, it did not leave Lahaina until 11 pm or so. We had plenty of time to go to the Olde Lahaina luau which I would recommend. It is a very short cab ride to the ship. Lahaina is a tenderport and the luau is over about 9 pm. We even had time to do some shopping in Lahaina before getting back on the ship. One tip: If you decide to do this luau, book it on line. It is very popular and you need reservations. They have ground seating (traditional) and table seating. We booked online a couple months before we left and had front and center stage traditional seats. Actually, the best seats in the house if you don't mind sitting on the ground. They provide cushions to sit on. But you are up close to the dancers. All seats are assigned. There was quite a crowd there and we went on a Tuesday after Thanksgiving. Most of the people were from the hotels in Maui. In 2002, it was $75 pp.

Robin and WVKathy,

If you dock in Kahului, you have at least a 30 to 40 minute drive back from Old Lahaina Luau. If you are driving, you have to allow time to return the rental car and get back to the ship. If your ship leaves at 10:30 pm, that would be awfully close since traffic might make the drive even longer. Were it me, I think I might leave before the show was over, say around 8:30. You might miss some of the show but that would be preferable to missing the ship.

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the advice. Do you have a suggestion for a car rental that is close to the ship? I know this excursion is a risk, but I really hate to miss the luau.

If we can get a rental close to the ship, that may save us some time. One more thought... if the rental places close at 5 or 6, where do we drop off the car and HOW do we get back?

Again, I appreciate your help.

Kathy

Kathy,

Closest rentals to Kahului Harbor are probably at the airport. It's only about 2 miles from the pier, but that might present a problem late at night. Most car rental places do provide shuttles. I thought possibly National Car Rentals might have an office at the harbor as they have one listed, but if you select it, it returns the airport location.

Bob and Sandi can probably help out on this.

Archived