Travel Insurance

We are hoping to take our Australian grandchild on a cruise and wonder what the best option is for her travel insurance. We have our own annual policy which we can't add her to. It would just need to be a basic one.

Hi,

Not sure what ship or cruise destination you are going on, but wanted to mention that on some cruises, you will need appropriate official documentation for taking grandchild with you. It is because he/she is not 'your' child. I have read this before on many occasions, and you are probably aware of this....but thought I would mention, just in case. Others on this board will know more.

Re the insurance.....try doing a google search for discount or cheap travel insurance, or ring the ones you are with and hint for a discount on his/hers.

Jen

Thankyou - will do that - and will check if we need a letter or something

You will need a letter of authorisation...it would be better if her parents accompanied you to the wharf. Depending on where you are going you also need to check passport ...does the child have their own passport or are they included on their mothers?

Definately check all this out well in advance...that way you can relax and not have any nasty surprises.

I am kind of glad I mentioned this now. I cannot find the threads relating to this issue, but if I remember correctly, it had to be an official letter, not just signed by parents, but documented as well. If I were you, I would ring dfat or customs to check. It is due to child kidnapping etc laws, and to cover the child. I also remember that it depends on which countries you are going to enter, re their laws too. Another thing I remember, which is odd for me lately..hehehe... is you also need to cover the childs medical within this document, in case of emergencies, to give you the right to make decisions from afar.

Good that you are checking it out.........hate to get within arms reach and not be allowed onboard.

Good luck

Jen

Archived