Falmouth, Jamaica - excursions.

buddy11

I have read up on Jamaica. We will be docked here for 9 hours. I would like to do the following but cannot find a excursion that will offer all 4. My preference in order to do / see is Georgian architecture in Falmouth, Montego Bay, Dunn’s River Falls (see them not climb them) and dolphins in Dolphins Cove. The only tour I can find that do both Falmouth and Montego do not seem to stop in Falmouth just drive around and allow for leisure time in Montego Bay but does not say how long. The duration of the tour itself is only 4 hrs 15mins. I know Dunn’s River Falls is 1 hr from Falmouth and Montego Bay is 30 mins from Falmouth. Is there any tour that does all 4? If not what are our options? I would rather do a organised tour instead of making our own way around as it is our first cruise and our first visit to Jamaica. Also, for time keeping I would rather a tour and I understand if it’s a RC tour and it is delayed the ship will wait. Safety is another factor, is it safe to walk off the ship and use the fist taxi we meet if we don’t do a tour :eek:? I don’t mind it being a ‘jam packed’ day as we will have leisurely days at sea the day before and the stop at Haiti.

I have read up on Jamaica. We will be docked here for 9 hours. I would like to do the following but cannot find a excursion that will offer all 4. My preference in order to do / see is Georgian architecture in Falmouth, Montego Bay, Dunn’s River Falls (see them not climb them) and dolphins in Dolphins Cove. The only tour I can find that do both Falmouth and Montego do not seem to stop in Falmouth just drive around and allow for leisure time in Montego Bay but does not say how long. The duration of the tour itself is only 4 hrs 15mins. I know Dunn’s River Falls is 1 hr from Falmouth and Montego Bay is 30 mins from Falmouth. Is there any tour that does all 4? If not what are our options? I would rather do a organised tour instead of making our own way around as it is our first cruise and our first visit to Jamaica. Also, for time keeping I would rather a tour and I understand if it’s a RC tour and it is delayed the ship will wait. Safety is another factor, is it safe to walk off the ship and use the fist taxi we meet if we don’t do a tour :eek:? I don’t mind it being a ‘jam packed’ day as we will have leisurely days at sea the day before and the stop at Haiti.

If you post your question at

Port of Calls / Caribbean / Jamaica on this board I am pretty sure you will get responses to your question.

Here is the link :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

I'll tell you one tour from Falmouth I DO NOT recommend. We just took the seven and a half-hour Robert Marley tour to his birth place and mausoleum. His mother's mausoleum is there too. A buffet lunch of Jamaican cuisine is included. Rum punch and cold bottled water is provided on the bus.

Unless you absolutely venerate Robert Marley, this tour is so not worth the cost...over $90...and the time, most of which is spent traveling winding, narrow roads through rugged Jamaican countryside. Yes, it can be scenic, but how much of the same scenery do you want?

We left at ten. Reached Marley's homestead after twelve. Did not eat until three PM! (Diabetics be warned.) At Marley's home, you must climb steep concrete steps and a steep hill. No way could someone with mobility issues handle this tour. Do not even think about it.

We were made to believe we would get an education in the history and evolution of reggae and dancehall music, but I bet the only people who left knowing anything about this genre of music were the ones who started the tour previously knowing about it.

By the end of the tour, I was getting frantic to get back to the ship. As it was, the ship left only shortly after we boarded Oasis.

I recommend this tour to only those who have a deeply-seated admiration for Marley. For others, this is an endurance challenge. I would do this only if I could reach Marley's home in an hour or less.

What you are trying to do is really not feasible in one day. Falmouth is situated between Ochio Rios and Montego Bay. You need to choose one or the other. Ocho Rios has Dunn's, the dolphins, ziplines etc... and is about a 50 minute drive from Falmouth.

Thanks Tonyo for suggestion on where to post this question. I did'nt know this section existed. Trying to maneover my way around this website but I'm not very good at it so far...:rolleyes:

You really can't go to MoBay and Dunn's River Falls the same day. Each is an hour each way in the opposite direction.

DW and I did our own Bob Marley tour from Ocho Rios and had a good time. We did not pay any $90, though. I saw Bob Marley in concert back in the early 70's and new much of his music. I did not know anything about him when we saw him. He was a warm up act for Sly and the Family Stone. I also enjoy seeing the Jamaica scenery--it is a beautiful country. "Different strokes for different folks" I guess.

" My preference in order to do / see is Georgian architecture in Falmouth, Montego Bay, Dunn’s River Falls (see them not climb them) and dolphins in Dolphins Cove"

I am not interested in Bob Marley, my interest is as stated in my oringal post. I understand all 4 are not do-able in one day so I would like to know what are my options? The excursions on RC website do not offer what I would like. If I have to choose between Falmouth & Montego Bay and Dunn's River Falls & Dolphins than my preference is Falmouth & Montego. Can I organise a private tour? There will be 4 of us.

We are doing a private tour with Phillip's Country tours on Wednesday that covers what you are looking for plus we are going river rafting. This is the third time we have used Phillip and we highly recomend him. He lives in MoBay.

His e-mail address: is phillipjamaicatours@hotmail.com.

His web-site address is: http://www.phillipcountrytours.com

You can e-mail him, let him know when you are coming in, and leave your phone number. He will call you and find out what you would like to do and also make suggestions.

• 1 month later...

I know its a long shot and the geography of the locations you want to visit seems impossible to some but i reckon you can fit all the destinations you mentioned in one day and make it back in good time. I did my tour with omar robinson and they offered group or personalised tours. So if as you said you only want to see your locations and visit the architectural sites i'm sure he's your man. google him @ www.wijammmingtours.com

hope this helps. have a great time:)

JMO>> I think you should consider doing the Dolphin Cove/Dunn River Falls tour and maybe squeeze in whatever other short tour of Falmouth

I personally think Montego Bay is out of the way for the main stuff you want to see and do. People go to MB to a resort or on a tour or whatever...JMO

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Has Anyone been on a tour from: Jamaica-Tours.com?

We want to take the River Boarding Tour from them out of Falmouth, Jamiaca, but I'm not sure if they are reputable.

We were interested in this excursion too...but when we went to book it,it asked if we were all over 30 pounds but under 180 pounds. My husband is 180 pounds (without clothes) so we marked no for him...but it wouldn't let him go:( We would hate to book it then have them tell him he can't go because he is 5 pounds over the limit.

I was in Falmouth a couple weeks ago. I had hoped for a quick cab to a beach, but found it was $120 round trip by cab whether I had 1 or 3 in my party (that was after talking them down from $150). I did not book anything in advance and was sorry. I have used Know Jamaica Tours in the past with great luck, and was very sorry I didn't set up this beach trip with them.

The port has very little to offer. No pool, beach, a few tables with umbrellas and expensive lunch and drinks (beer was $7 and hamburger was $8):eek:. Even the vendors are pricey until you get out the gate.

Definitely book something in advance - just about anything you do will be worth it. The country is beautiful, but I agree about doing a long drive with such a short day - not worth it. Stick with Montego Bay or Ocho Rios excursions.

We were interested in this excursion too...but when we went to book it,it asked if we were all over 30 pounds but under 180 pounds. My husband is 180 pounds (without clothes) so we marked no for him...but it wouldn't let him go:( We would hate to book it then have them tell him he can't go because he is 5 pounds over the limit.

The excursion I was referring to was offered by Royal Caribbean. Look at their excursion list, they offer the rafting tour...and you know it will be ok to book...as long as you are not over 180 pounds;)

I was in Falmouth a couple weeks ago. I had hoped for a quick cab to a beach, but found it was $120 round trip by cab whether I had 1 or 3 in my party (that was after talking them down from $150). I did not book anything in advance and was sorry. I have used Know Jamaica Tours in the past with great luck, and was very sorry I didn't set up this beach trip with them.

The port has very little to offer. No pool, beach, a few tables with umbrellas and expensive lunch and drinks (beer was $7 and hamburger was $8):eek:. Even the vendors are pricey until you get out the gate.

Definitely book something in advance - just about anything you do will be worth it. The country is beautiful, but I agree about doing a long drive with such a short day - not worth it. Stick with Montego Bay or Ocho Rios excursions.

Thanks for the advice!! We are either going to take the chance with the rafting trip or do Jamaica for a day.

We were in Falmouth with the Allure in January and we use Courtney Taylor for our group of 8.

We had a private van and a driver for the whole day.

We were able to d exactly what we want without having to follow others.

E-mail him and maybe you can work out your perfect excursion.

courtney_tay@yahoo.com

Thanks! we will look into using Courtney.

We recently used Trevor's tour to Dunn's Falls and it was great. See his website at http://www.trevorhudlintours.com. We ahve used him for many years in Montego Bay, but he goes ot OR and also Falmouth. VERY professional - see his website for all the tours he offers.

He responds to emails quickly. Hoping to sue him again on our Voyager Feb. 11 cruise again.

Archived