NCL Upgrades

soccer71

We usally book what we want without thinking of upsells or upgrades. We did get an UPGRADE on our Alaska cruise to an Owners Suite!! That was also the time we had dinner with the Captain and had an exclusive party with him---only 6 other couples. Don't know why, but since than have had other chances to dine with the captain, but don't always accept.

Did one other upsell when prices drastically changed, otherwise like I said--we book what we want at the time--maybe a couple months or a couple of years out--just watch the prices and make our PCC aware that we are willing to upsell if price is right!!

I keep watching the prices so if there is a price drop I can ask for consideration, biy I have never been offered an upgrade or upsell

• 1 year later...

Bummed. Booked my cruise on the Pride of America almost a year ago, now I found out the same accomodations are 350.00 less than what we paid. Hardly seems fair, what is the point of booking so far ahead? While I understand cruise lines want to fill

cabins, but they should never lower the prices below what guests paid who booked so far in advance to get the best rates and perks. Pretty much told "deal with it". Never again, NCL!

My family is regretting we even booked this cruise with NCL. It is unfortunate that guests who make reservations well ahead of time to ensure the best rates, are not honored accordingly. I can understand if a cruise line wants to reduce the rates as incentive to increase business - but never should the rates be lower than the advanced bookings where after guests having paid in full, can not do anything about it - and any refunding regarding partial cancellation is left up to the discretion of a NCL supervisor. In essence we have been told that's the breaks, deal with it. Really? Poor business practice all the way around. So sorry your company and NCL can not see the unfairness of this situation.

Bummed. Booked my cruise on the Pride of America almost a year ago, now I found out the same accomodations are 350.00 less than what we paid. Hardly seems fair, what is the point of booking so far ahead? While I understand cruise lines want to fill

cabins, but they should never lower the prices below what guests paid who booked so far in advance to get the best rates and perks. Pretty much told "deal with it". Never again, NCL!

My family is regretting we even booked this cruise with NCL. It is unfortunate that guests who make reservations well ahead of time to ensure the best rates, are not honored accordingly. I can understand if a cruise line wants to reduce the rates as incentive to increase business - but never should the rates be lower than the advanced bookings where after guests having paid in full, can not do anything about it - and any refunding regarding partial cancellation is left up to the discretion of a NCL supervisor. In essence we have been told that's the breaks, deal with it. Really? Poor business practice all the way around. So sorry your company and NCL can not see the unfairness of this situation.

You seem to be on a mission to post the same complaint on all the forums when there is a clear and simple explaination and resolution to this posted by many people. I hope you actually read the suggestions. (duplicate posts in 4 forums)

This is common to many cruise lines. If it's 1) before final payment due, then you can call either the agent you booked with (either NCL or your travel agent) and ask them to rebook you at the lower rate. Just be aware that you will be rebooked under the new terms which may change any on board credit or amenities on your original reservation. Example: If your original reservation has $200 on board credit, and the new rate is $100 less without OBC, then it's not worth a change. Also, check you TA for any fees for rebooking. 2) after final payment then you won't be rebooked at the new rate but you might be able to persuade them to offer an upgrade, amenities, or future credit. Ask nicely and if denied, ask someone else higher on the food chain.

It's common business practice to lower prices over time to sell inventory. The advantage of booking early is to get the room and location you want. Just think if this was economy airfare, you would have no such option!

Hope you have a good trip and don't let the little things bring you down.

Edited by kylenyc

Were you happy with the price when you paid it? Why should you worry that someone got a better deal by waiting?

You got the cabin, itinerary and week that you wanted at a price you were willing to pay. Maybe those booking now aren't going the week they really wanted, but will do so because the price is lower.

Once you make final payment, the cabin is yours at that price. I'm pretty sure that's how all the cruise lines work. And airlines and hotels.

Edited by EaglesWin

We were offered an upsell through our cruise agent, but by the time she called us and then called NCL back, it was no longer available. Now, we have given our cruise agent criteria should this happen again - pricing and location on ship. We usually book inside cabins. We won't take an OV upsell. Our cruise agent knows to ask about a balcony upsell when they call. We don't expect it to happen often because there are 3 of us in the cabin.

Thanks to everyone here in CC and posts like this one, I've been checking prices periodically and able to upsell myself when I saw a price drop for higher categories but not the one I was in. One day I saw a balcony price drop and called my TA to upgrade me from an OA ocean view to a BC balcony for $9 a day and I was able to pick room (not a GTY). Checked again recently and price went back up.

Edited by kylenyc

Look at it this way...when you booked long before, did you get the pick of the litter? Was that important to you? If 'yes', then it's probably worth the incremental you paid versus what it would cost to book now and having to choose from whatever inventory is remaining. If 'no', well, next time, hang loose until closer to your preferred sailing date.

Good grief, will you please stop whining. If the price had gone up do you think you should pay more??? I think not...........

Originally Posted by bumpkinsnana viewpost.gif

Good grief, will you please stop whining. If the price had gone up do you think you should pay more??? I think not...........

Thank you and EXACTLY.

You book the room you want at a price you are happy with. So somebody else got a good deal later on and you didn't? Tough. I did a B2B in January and got an upsell call during my first week I was gone. Since I was avoiding the crazy phone bill, I missed the call and got the message days later and missed my chance. DH and I were happy in the room we had.

Log into NCL and check prices regularly. If you see a drop before final payment, call your PCC and ask to rebook. If you are going to lose your OBC then it isn't worth it. I have seen the rates drop and called my PCC who said I could get the reduced rate but my OBC would be gone so it wasn't worth the change.

You can always book at the last minute to get a deal, but bear in mind you might get a room that is under a bar or has another undesirable feature. I like picking my room.

How does one get upgraded on NCL. I have heard the policy is NCL does not upgrade like other cruise lines.

I have also heard that lattitde members do get upgrades.

Has anyone been upgraded and can you share how you accomplished it

I have been checking the prices on my cruise that leaves next week. Two weeks ago I saw the price drop for balconies, so I called my TA. He called NCL and I was able to move from an inside to a balcony for only $140 more per person, and this is a 16 day cruise. Most other cruise lines will only offer these low prices to new bookings. Yeah, NCL!!!

We got the upsell call on our first NCL cruise. We weren't Latitudes members at the time. It was 2 years ago on the Dawn. We got called week before cruise. For $200 total we went from a balcony to a romance suite. Was great!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello ALL,

We're booked in SE for April cruise on Jewel and according to NCL site, most of Havens are still open. Having only sailed on RCI and X thus far, not used to seeing suites open this close to sail. Anniversary surprise for DW, dare I hope to move to top of ship? Not that I have a problem where I am, to be sure.

Tx in advance,

Kevin

"The advantage of booking early is to get the room and location you want."

I'm not getting why this is such a big deal. It's no secret that prices drop as the sail date gets closer if the ship is not filled. If you are not happy with the pricing then don't book until the price reaches a level you are comfortable paying. You run the risk that the prices will go up or go down no matter if you book years ahead or a few weeks before. Consider any upgrade/upsell a bonus but not a requirement.

• 9 months later...

I sail Sat. out of Seattle, and booked through a 3rd party program so I won't be getting a call. I take it this means that I would not be offered when I arrive on board? We have a port-hole room and had hoped to maybe getting an upgraded to a balcony.

I did have my 3rd party note that it was our anniversary as well ... does Norwegian do anything for that doesn't require money?

Thank You for Information.

I sail Sat. out of Seattle, and booked through a 3rd party program so I won't be getting a call. I take it this means that I would not be offered when I arrive on board? We have a port-hole room and had hoped to maybe getting an upgraded to a balcony.

I did have my 3rd party note that it was our anniversary as well ... does Norwegian do anything for that doesn't require money?

Most of the restaurants stock the 6" gratuity cakes. If you mention it to your waiter, he can bring you one at no-charge. They do this for anniversaries, birthdays etc....

I upsold 2 balcony rooms for a lateral move to the 2-bedroom family suite on the Pearl to Alaska. I watched for the price drops closer to sailing and called NCL myself. When the 2-bedroom came down in price...it was a no brainer to swap our 2 balconies and enjoy the suite perks! We had an amazing trip.

About 3 days prior to sailing, I received a call offering the mega GARDEN VILLA but it was for an additional $3500. (considered a true bargain) but we declined as we were already maxed out with airfare and pricey land excursions. In retrospect.....it was the right call, as Alaska was very port intensive and we spent much of our time OFF the ship. It would be great on an itinerary that has a lot of sea days or a 10+ day cruise! It was a thrill just knowing we were that close to "almost" having the GV!

What sort of 3rd party program are you referring to? Was it a free cabin? Just wondering why they could not call on your behalf and inquire about an upgrade for you. No one is ever offered anything upon boarding.

When you say a 3rd party, do you mean a travel agent? If so, they can look for upgrades on your behalf, you could not contact NCL yourself. Unless you booked a guaranty cabin, there are no upgrades at the pier. In fact, there is almost always/always a sign up stating the ship is sold out. Make your best deal before cruise day!!

When you say a 3rd party, do you mean a travel agent? If so, they can look for upgrades on your behalf, you could not contact NCL yourself. Unless you booked a guaranty cabin, there are no upgrades at the pier. In fact, there is almost always/always a sign up stating the ship is sold out. Make your best deal before cruise day!!

I booked through Priceline and haven't been called - It was my first time going through them and I'm not sure how they operate. Their lowest price guarantee seems to be based on a 24 hr from purchasing date which was back in Jan. so I don't think I'd get a rebate either if someone does book a cabin cheeper then me. I did book a guarantee cabin.