When do the ships change their main shows?

I'm new to cruising and have only cruised in this current year. I searched through the forums and didn't see this info in the threads I looked at. What I am trying to determine is if Carnival has a schedule for changing their main shows. Do they do it yearly and if so do they all change at the same time? I am curious because I have a ship booked in January but I also may have another chance to go in December. It would be most convenient for us to book on the same ship but would consider a different port for a little variety in the shows. If they would be the same in December as in January we may book a different ship. It's not that big of a deal because we mainly just want to cruise but I would be interested in the answer if any of you cruising veterans would oblige.

Thanks!

We took a Behind the Fun tour and asked the same question. We were told that the large production shows are typically switched out during dry dock. Reason being is due to the large sets that are fitted to the ship. Each production show cost a couple of million to produce so switching shows often is too expensive. The cast is switched out by contract so it could be 6-9 months just like the rest of the crew.

I've seen shows a couple of times. So, we just do something else during that time. There's so much to do and we've never had a problem being bored.

Have a great cruise. :)

I'm new to cruising and have only cruised in this current year. I searched through the forums and didn't see this info in the threads I looked at. What I am trying to determine is if Carnival has a schedule for changing their main shows. Do they do it yearly and if so do they all change at the same time? I am curious because I have a ship booked in January but I also may have another chance to go in December. It would be most convenient for us to book on the same ship but would consider a different port for a little variety in the shows. If they would be the same in December as in January we may book a different ship. It's not that big of a deal because we mainly just want to cruise but I would be interested in the answer if any of you cruising veterans would oblige.

Thanks!

Pretty much, show changes are related to dry docks. They usually will change out or add one show, not all of them. The dancers also have to be up to speed with the new routine. Thus change of shows is also related to the dancer's contracts.

The cost of fitting a new show is incredibly high. The sets, special effects and lighting can run as much as $3 million. That is why shows are on ships for many years.

Doc

They are expensive to change out so the same shows will be shown for well over 5 years.

I agree, and in fact, I've been told that the average life of one of the big production shows aboard any given ship is seven years. Of course, you'll also note that the same show may be presented on more than one ship, so just sailing on a different ship won't guarantee that you'll see totally new shows. As noted above, however, there is so much entertainment aboard, that you'll always be able to find something new to do. Have no fear.

"SKY"

All the different opinions are great: from 3 to 7 years to never. :p

That is true, but I get the gist of the answers and that is "not regularly" and "don't count on it" which is basically what I was looking for. That being the case I do wish that they could provide something a bit more professional in the main showroom to add variety. I got the impression that with all the shows that included cruisers as the main attraction, they were being a little cheap. I must say I enjoyed them somewhat (Not so Newlywed, "Talent" Show etc) but they would get more tiring to me than seeing the same "Big" show every time. At least it has some production value. Still, I have enjoyed my cruises so far and I should be so lucky as to go so often that I would get tired of the entertainment.:D After all, the best entertainment to me is a comfortable lounger and the big blue ocean in the background!

And, Thanks to all of you who so quickly and generously responded.

Archived