Tell me about lake Louise

We are leaving next week for our first Alaskan cruise and after disemarking in Vancouver, we are flying to Calgary, picking up a car and driving to Lake Louise - I have always wanted to go there. It looks amazing.

We are staying at the Fairmont. Any advice about what to do, where to eat? We will be there for four days.

Thanks

Kellie

We are leaving next week for our first Alaskan cruise and after disemarking in Vancouver, we are flying to Calgary, picking up a car and driving to Lake Louise - I have always wanted to go there. It looks amazing.

We are staying at the Fairmont. Any advice about what to do, where to eat? We will be there for four days.

Thanks

Kellie

Unfortunately we have only been to Lake Louise once, 11 years ago. We are from eastern Canada where the ski hills are small. March of 2000 we took our boys to the big mountains at Banff and Lake Louise. It is an awesome area. Lake Louise is beautiful but there are limited options around the Fairmont for restaurants. From our experience I cannot remember any other than at the the ski mountain but google shows several. DW and I left the boys sking and went to the Chateau for lunch and to see the lake up close. The lake was still frozen swo we went for a short walk on the lake. The town of Banff is a different matter. It is a wonderful place to visit with many choices for eating and several things to do, it is fairly close to Lake Louise, from memory I think it was a 30 min drive. We did the same as you, we flew to Calgary and rented a car.

One of the absolute "must does" if you have your own car, is a short 12km (7 mile0 driver into MORAIN LAKE. The road in is just about 1/2 mile before the Fairmont's parking lot. The lake is featured on almost all calendars of the Rockies, and is also known as the 'Valley of the Ten Peaks". That view was on one of our currency bills for years. You can rent a canoe there and paddle around the lake. No noise at all, none from the highway, none from the railroad, just the mountain winds and the birds. Awesome.

With a car you can also drive highway 1A between Banff and Lake Louise, and often you can spot big horn sheep, rocky mt goats and even bear on occasion.

A short drive (20 miles)west on highway #1 will take you to Yoho Park and more spectacular scenry. A nice day trip is to drive north on the Icefields Parkway to the Icefields and then back to Lake Louise. Sectacular. 3 leisurly hours each way.

Have fun!

Thank you everyone for all of that information. I wish we had more time to spend in Canada but I am certain this will wet our appetite to come back again.

I have always been told that Canadians and Australians are very similiar with their outlook on life and sense of humour!!

Kellie;)

In addition to what others have suggested, particularly Moraine Lake and the Icefields Parkway (spectacular scenery), if you're up for a not too difficult hike, I recommend the 5.5 km hike to the Plain of the Six Glaciers Teahouse that leaves from right behind the Fairmount.

It's expensive but dinner at the Post Hotel in nearby Lake Louise Village would be memorable. Enjoy your stay in Lake Louise.

Dave

Thank you everyone for all of that information. I wish we had more time to spend in Canada but I am certain this will wet our appetite to come back again.

I have always been told that Canadians and Australians are very similiar with their outlook on life and sense of humour!!

Kellie;)

The funny thing is that you will meet lots of Aussies in Banff and Lake Louise. When we were there it became sport to ask the servers and other staff where they were from. Very few were from Alberta.

In addition to what others have suggested, particularly Moraine Lake and the Icefields Parkway (spectacular scenery), if you're up for a not too difficult hike, I recommend the 5.5 km hike to the Plain of the Six Glaciers Teahouse that leaves from right behind the Fairmount.

It's expensive but dinner at the Post Hotel in nearby Lake Louise Village would be memorable. Enjoy your stay in Lake Louise.

Dave

By chance I just read this article about the hike to the teahouse:

http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/theprogress/lifestyles/123859059.html

Viv

Archived