Has anyone openly not paid required tips at end of cruise?

Missiowa

There are no required tips.

There also are no limits to the excuses for not tipping. IMO, about 150% of them are lame.

Some people do pull tips. In that case, I think it would be fair for Carnival to pull food off their table or not serve it to them in the first place. Stewards to pull toilet paper from their staterooms (reap what you sew), etc.

Just Suggested.

I tip to the level of service and what I believe to be fair. Not what the cruise line suggest. Be it higher or lower than suggested.

I think service would have to be pretty bad for somebody to lower a tip of $3.50 a day to a waiter or steward.

Bill

I think service would have to be pretty bad for somebody to lower a tip of $3.50 a day to a waiter or steward.

Bill

I doubt they could get someone, however bad, from a work release program at home for the same rate.

On another note, as for those who remove bar tips, I find that unconscionable. If I ever witness that, I'll have to fight my desire to intervene and let a higher power deal with their soul.

I doubt they could get someone, however bad, from a work release program at home for the same rate.

On another note, as for those who remove bar tips, I find that unconscionable. If I ever witness that, I'll have to fight my desire to intervene and let a higher power deal with their soul.

Remove a bar tip? How do you do that?

I give the cabin steward extra because our boys are slobs. The MD? Never met one yet, so no tip...

I look at the auto tipping practice as a way for the cruise lines to lower wages paid by the corporation. If you really want to help the staff, give them cash tips so they don't need to report it for taxes... :D

I'm very happy for all of those who can afford to tip over-and-above the auto tipping in place.

The hoopla when the present system went into place was that it was for our convenience and 'no more envelope stuffing' at the the end of the cruise. A great idea! In part. because I'm sure some folks NEVER stuffed an envelope...and stiffed the crew.

But unless someone goes out of their way (usually for us the cabin steward if we have any special requests like splitting the beds for more room) the service charge IS our tip.

At least until we win the lottery!

We do the same. I am fine with it.

So if you get crap service..so what then?

Crap service? Even if the staff gave MINIMAL service it would still justify the auto-tip. If the cabin steward ONLY left clean towels and turned down the bed, that still deserves the measley $3.50 per day that they are allotted. Same for the dining staff, not to mention the Lido staff that serves you and clears away dirty dishes and wipes down tables. How fair it it to pull all the tips? If there is a problem, the proper way to handle it is to speak to a supervisor and very calmly explain the situation. How can a situation be rectified if one is not aware of it? Any special treatment and/or services by the staff that are ABOVE and BEYOND is up to the individual to tip extra if they desire.

i always remove my tips when i get on the boat. i always tip at the end of the cruise and i always tip the people i think have earned it. i dont think its fair to tip people that i have never had any association with. if someone works their booty off for me then they should be the ones being tipped.

i always remove my tips when i get on the boat. i always tip at the end of the cruise and i always tip the people i think have earned it. i dont think its fair to tip people that i have never had any association with. if someone works their booty off for me then they should be the ones being tipped.

when you cruise you dont have an association with your room steward and waiter and asst waiter?

Bill

I personally have found it easier to have my tips added when I make my fianl payment. This way I have lots of time to pay my credit card off prior to my cruise and it is one less thing to worry about. I do give extra at the end of the cruise to our wait staff and room steward for a job well done!

Do not let it be known that you can remove bar tabs. The cheapies will all line up.

There are no required tips.

There also are no limits to the excuses for not tipping. IMO, about 150% of them are lame.

Some people do pull tips. In that case, I think it would be fair for Carnival to pull food off their table or not serve it to them in the first place. Stewards to pull toilet paper from their staterooms (reap what you sew), etc.

Their food and toilet paper was paid for when they paid for the cruise.

We have always prepaid our gratuities, and also take extra tips for our room steward and for the MDR waiters/waitress and assistant waitress/waiters.

Only once have we not tipped extra to our room steward or MDR personnel. It was our most recent cruise; we didn't even know our room steward til the 3rd day and had problems from then on out, and MDR service wasn't the greatest.

Well It was me and my sister and my nephew on a cruise and he was a one years old and I was going to take them off for him, but on the last night they didn't charge the pre paid for him just me and my sister. wonder what age do they start

Well It was me and my sister and my nephew on a cruise and he was a one years old and I was going to take them off for him, but on the last night they didn't charge the pre paid for him just me and my sister. wonder what age do they start

You should still tip for a one year old. I do not understand why the cruiseline does not because they eat tablefood at that age and can make quite a mess.

Do not let it be known that you can remove bar tabs. The cheapies will all line up.

For us, we didn't even realize that there was an automatic tip that was added to our drinks~ had we known this, we would have most certainly removed them because each time we ordered 2 drinks we gave the waiter a $5.00 CASH tip~ he never mentioned to us that the tip was already being added~ not saying we wouldn't have given him extra because he was wonderful, but probably not as much! No wonder he followed us around all week :)

P.S.~ When you ask the price of the drink, IMO, they should tell you the total price that includes the automatic tip!!!

John Heald will mention some of those folks on occasion..

such as the woman who removed her tips last cruise because the airline lost her luggage and it had to be sent to the 1st port...

or the 32 guests who removed them the last night of the cruise..they were part of a group.

I pay mine in advance because I would never dream of gypping anyone who was making my bed, stepping over 'things' accidentally left on the floor, and making sure my ice bucket was full..even if it was only most of the time!

What's the purpose of paying tips in advance???? just wondering.

For us, we didn't even realize that there was an automatic tip that was added to our drinks~ had we known this, we would have most certainly removed them because each time we ordered 2 drinks we gave the waiter a $5.00 CASH tip~ he never mentioned to us that the tip was already being added~ not saying we wouldn't have given him extra because he was wonderful, but probably not as much! No wonder he followed us around all week :)

P.S.~ When you ask the price of the drink, IMO, they should tell you the total price that includes the automatic tip!!!

when you sign the slip it says how much the tip is and in my experience its been something like 42 cents, so I always add a dollar. i figure i tip a dollar a drink at a bar so why not do the same on the ship.

We always auto-tip and often give a little extra for folks we interact with directly if we are grateful for their service. Auto-tip is the minimum, even if we didn't feel service was any good, they did the work, they deserve the pay. Tips are their pay as they get little in base pay. So if they do the work you should tip whether you like them or not. That's how I see it.

when you sign the slip it says how much the tip is and in my experience its been something like 42 cents, so I always add a dollar. i figure i tip a dollar a drink at a bar so why not do the same on the ship.

I do not recall the receipt showing the amount of the tip~ but maybe it did! Not sure how anything ordered could have only been a $0.42 tip at 15%? When I went back after the cruise and calculated it, our 15% gratuity was almost always between $2.00 and $3.00 per item~ plus the extra we gave. He was making bank!

I do not recall the receipt showing the amount of the tip~ but maybe it did! Not sure how anything ordered could have only been a $0.42 tip at 15%? When I went back after the cruise and calculated it, our 15% gratuity was almost always between $2.00 and $3.00 per item~ plus the extra we gave. He was making bank!

ok so maybe i was a little off. point is added tip is not much. maybe if you are ordering more than 2-3 drinks i guess it adds up.

Archived