What is there to do in Costa Maya?

waterbound

We are headed to Costa Maya in September and wondering what is there to do?? We normally go out on our own rather than paying the exorbant prices that Carnival charges for their excursions, but after researching I just dont see a whole lot to do.. We are not opposed to doing a Carnival excursion this time as I have been on their website and some of the ones they offer look interesting..

Just wondering who has been and what have you done?

TIA

I've been once and will be back in a couple of weeks.

I did the Chacchoben Mayan Site through Princess, and really enjoyed it. It was only a half day excursion so i had time to shop at the touristy pier area.

This time I plan to just take a taxi over to Mahajual and enjoy some drinks, one of Tapas Fried Lobsters (it sounds interesting to say the least) and some local shopping. I hear the local vendors are great about bargaining price. Unlike what I experienced at the ship pier area.

There's supposed to be a nice "virgin" reef system that's not been visited very many years, so it might be really pretty (I may take a boat out to the reef for some snorkeling). I've read that it's close enough to swim to, but I'd rather boat out to it if it's more than 50 yards or so.

I really liked Costa Maya (can't yet speak for Mahajual) except for the fact the vendors inside the "protected" pier area were a bit too hands on for me. If I'm interested in your crap I can walk in on my own without you guiding me from the walkway. :rolleyes:

LES!

I was looking at the all terrain beach break combo, atv explorer and beach adventure and also the chacchoben mayan ruins.. we have done quite a few cruises over the last 3-4 years and do alot of beaches.. not that I dont love doing that but just wondered about doing something different I guess.. I was looking at the ruins..we've been wanting to do some sort of ruin excursion but the ones in past have always had such a long bus ride and I cant see myself riding in a bus that long.. but I would love to see the ruins at least just once.. we normally do our own excursions rather than thru the cruiseline because they are so much more expensive when you buy thru them.. Can we do the ruins on our own? How much is it vs the cruiseline price??

We are planning on renting a jeep in Cozumel and going on our own to Paradise Beach and then to Carlos n charlies and then to visit Senor Frogs.. so we will be spending most of our day there at the beach..

Any input would be greatly appreciated so we can make a decision on what to do..

I've wanted to see the ruins myself but didn't want to commit to an 8hr trip if possible this time around......I think we are going to just vegetate at PB in Cozumel........the ruins here sounded perfect and after checking out the info from these posts, I made my reservations........here's the web site:

http://www.chacchobenruins.com/

we are going to do the Chacchoben ruins this time and on a future cruise we might take the longer tours to Kohunlich or Dzibanche.......:)

Sharlene

we are going to do the Chacchoben ruins this time and on a future cruise we might take the longer tours to Kohunlich or Dzibanche.......:)

Sharlene

Chacchoben is a really nice choice. It's a fairly new discovery and the site has a lot of excavation left to be done.

My only disappointment was not being able to climb and of the 3 pyramids. 2 of which I was in awe of. They were beautiful.

LES!

BTW, Sharlene. My partner and I moved to Albuquerque from Longview. Before that we lived in Henderson for about 6 years. Beautiful area, but I had to feel to get away from my family :eek: Now all my brothers and sister have followed me here :rolleyes:

Small world.

LES!

BTW, Sharlene. My partner and I moved to Albuquerque from Longview. Before that we lived in Henderson for about 6 years. Beautiful area, but I had to feel to get away from my family :eek: Now all my brothers and sister have followed me here :rolleyes:

Small world.

LES!

LES,

sure is! I used to work in Longview.......

I moved here from Va to get away from family myself although I blame it on my gypsy ancestry.........LOL

hope you are enjoying Albuquerque - I'm loving east Tx.........:)

Sharlene

If I had it to over again I would negotiate a taxi to take us to Bacalar, the biggest town in the area (about 85miles away). There I would go to see the Lake Bacalar and the Cenote Azul, and be far away from the mess on the coast.

Bacalar review I wish this would have been me.

Su

• 3 weeks later...
We are headed to Costa Maya in September and wondering what is there to do?? We normally go out on our own rather than paying the exorbant prices that Carnival charges for their excursions, but after researching I just dont see a whole lot to do.. We are not opposed to doing a Carnival excursion this time as I have been on their website and some of the ones they offer look interesting..

Just wondering who has been and what have you done?

TIA

I was wondering the same thing about things to do there. Our other cruise port is Cozumel. How are the two different? I've read that Costa Maya is how Cozumel was 20 years ago.

I'd rather not do an excursion, just do whatever on my own. How may cruise ships can be there at the same time?

I was wondering the same thing about things to do there. Our other cruise port is Cozumel. How are the two different? I've read that Costa Maya is how Cozumel was 20 years ago.

I'd rather not do an excursion, just do whatever on my own. How may cruise ships can be there at the same time?

this is the site where you can check for other ships in port........

http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn/

to me there is a huge difference between Cozumel and Costa Maya but not sure about the 20yr comparison........Cozumel has quite a bit more to offer when it comes to diversity but Costa Maya has it's own charms......:)

you can just stay at the pier facilities.......pool, shopping from the stores, shows, food & drink........or take a cab(or bus) to Mahajual - beach, food & drink, some water toys, shopping from vendors on the street......

there are excursions through Island Marketing..

http://costamayacruiseexcursions.com/

or water toys for rent..

http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/Mahajual_Waterpark.html

or excursions through the port of Costa Maya...

http://www.puertocostamaya.com/eng/chacchoben.cfm

or visit some of the ruins with a private native guide.....

http://www.chacchobenruins.com/wst_page8.html

I guess there is something for everyone there.........:)

Archived