Interested in private dining table -- is select or traditional dining best?

ALadyNCal

We are a family group of five. I would like to secure a private dining table (ie. our group only). Are we likely to be able to get this with traditional dining or should we go with select?

I am interested in trying select, as they didn't have it the last time I cruised w/Celebrity. Really don't want to prepay the gratuities -- rather have them paid onboard. Plus, we will have SBC that some in the group can apply towards gratuities.

While I don't relish early seating for traditional, both of our Mom's are 70+ and it would be their preference. We could make it work; whereas if I used select, I would probably try to book ahead online and dine around 7 pm.

DH and I are fine to eat with new people and socialize. The Moms don't really enjoy that aspect so much. So I would like a 'private' table for only our family.

On our last Celebrity cruise we were in a similar situation. I requested a table for 6 (there were five of us). Instead, we got a table for EIGHT that included another couple with us. We couldn't ask them to go to another table, so we were stuck with the situation on a 14 day cruise. Not that they weren't nice, it's just the burden of conversation mainly falls to DH and I.

So.....if I choose traditional early dining, are we likely to get a family only table? Or should I go with select dining so I can make specific reservations for each night (10 nights on Equinox)?

With a party of five you shouldn't have any problems getting a private table in either area. Sometimes in select the wait might be shorter if you take seats at a larger table, but not always and the difference will seldom be large with that size of a group. I would specify you'd like to sit by yourselves when you check into dining and, if traditional, check your table arrangements ASAP after boarding as sometimes requests don't get passed along.

I don't know if the Mom's are interested in the ship theatre shows but keep in mind the show times are based on working around the traditional dining times so dining at 7PM might not always work if they'll want to see the shows.

Archived