cruising with 1-yr-old

DiploTraveler

So... I'm planning a cruise with my wife and to-be 1-yr-old son in November. I reserved a mini-suite on Pearl, then decided to reserve a verandah on Nieuw Amsterdam when they ran a "free 3rd fare" deal. The main reason for the switch was the reviews I read on how the food and staff were better on HAL. Also, people thought it felt less crowded on HAL and finally the itinerary was preferable.

Bottom line is, we'd like to stick with HAL, but... I'm having second thoughts 'cause now I'm hearing about 2.5 hour dinners in the MDR that babies don't cope well with. If it's early enough in the evening, I think my son would do fine, but of course in six months, the world will be different for such a small child.

Any insight from other parents out there?

If it is going to be just the three of you, then I would probably opt for a ship that offers nursery services. On Royal Caribbean, there is the Allure, Oasis, Freedom, Liberty, and Radiance. And, the Disney ships also have a nursery.

We've taken our son on 3 cruises so far. The first as six months old. The second at nine months old. The third at sixteen months old. He has always been a well mannered child, but he can rarely go for much more than an hour at dinner time before becoming fidgety and fussy. Expecting a one year old to last for up to 2.5 hours in the MDR is expecting a lot. We put our son in the nursery in the evenings on the Liberty and everyone (us and him) were happier for it. He could play and we could have a leisurely dinner and even take in a show. We liked the Royal experience so much so that we are taking our next cruise on the Allure.

Also, Royal Caribbean ships have a wonderful Royal Tots and Babies program of activities that you can participate in with your child. Remember, even though you are on vacation and may be happy sitting by the pool, reading a book and sipping a cocktail, your 1 year old probably will not be content with being that stationary. He/she will want to be doing something. We found that there were plenty of things offered on Royal to keep our son, and us, entertained, particularly on the sea days.

As for port days. Well, we found that there was only so many things we could do traveling with an infant in a stroller. And, it really wasn't much. Not a lot of excursion options. And, of those available, we found it unrealistic to expect him to be patient throughout a tour. Not to mention having to work around his afternoon nap. Even the private island day ended up being a bit of a bust because he was uncomfortable in the sun, didn't like sand, and wasn't interested in the water. Given this, I would focus more on the amenities on the ship and less on the itinerary.

I believe HAL now has some form of "anytime" dining...that is what you should choose. That way, you can ask for dinner to be sped up, if need be....we've never, ever spent 2.5 hours at dinner on ANY ship! And, by doing the anytime option, you can eat on YOUR schedule (or rather, your child's!!!)

I've never had a 2.5 hr dinner when I cruised with HAL. Costa..yes but not HAL. :) Plus there is always the option of eating upstairs if the little one is in a foul mood. I've also had whatever cruise line put my dinner cover back on and let me remove it from the dinning room when my young child has lost it at dinner.

Archived