Dress codes in churches

dreamgirl9095

are sandals permitted in the churches? someone mentioned that open toes may not be permitted. thanks for any advice.

Sandals are permitted. I appear to have created some confusion in another thread when I wrote that the gatekeepers tend to be subjective and look at the total impact -- except at the Vatican.

At Santa Croce in Florence, I saw the same person turn away a hopeful male visitor wearing knee-length shorts, short-sleeve knit shirt, and sandals yet admit a man wearing essentially the same outfit except with athletic shoes and socks. Since the only difference was the footgear, I've got to believe the gatekeeper had some subjective amount of exposed skin he was willing to allow -- and sandals put the first visitor on the wrong side of his line. Another time, I saw essentially the same thing happen except that time there had been a change of gatekeepers between the two decisions.

Wow Mands--even lipstick? Is this an Orthodox church? Some of my husbands family are Russian Orthodox and their dress standards are more modest then our Catholic church standards are, but when we've gone to weddings in thier churches I've worn lipstick (as have the other women in attendance) and it's never been an issue.

I know. No lipstick, but is lipgloss ok? Or tinted lipbalm? So many questions, so few sensible answers. Personally I've not been into the church in question as I always seem to be in shorts or trousers when I'm nearby.

It is a Greek (so Eastern) Orthodox church, yes. It's, by far, the strictest dress code I've ever seen.

img_2407.jpeg

Mands

Archived