Cabin 8024

squeakers

We are currently booked into 8027 (A1) on the Nautica. With the 2 for 1 deal going on for our sailing should we change to PH3. From deck plans that I've seen the PH3 are diffently not mid ship but certainly larger....Bottom line is the extra cost worth the extra room.

The penthouse rooms are definitely larger. And if it's important to you, the bathtub certainly adds value, although the bathroom is still very small. We have been in cruises in both types of rooms. What we've found is that when we travel with others, we're never in our room and the A room is fine. But when we travel by ourselves we find that the penthouse suite is worth the extra money.

The PHs are exactly 1.5 times the size of A's and Bs overall (this applies to the balcony too). They have the same length and 1.5 times the width.

Whether the PHs are worth it depends on several factors:

1. the price difference - this varies with itinerary, the upcharge may vary, from $50 per diem to $110 per diem, roughly

2. the length of your cruise - the longer it is, the more you are likely to feel that you need more space, but then the more you have to pay

3. are you the type that will spend a lot of time in your cabin or not

4. what you are used to - if you are used to standard cabins on mass market ships, then the A's and Bs are "standard fare", on the other hand, if you are used to boutique ships, then the PHs are the only ones that are somewhat comparable

5. what will you do with the money saved - 2x$700 to 2x$1500 for a couple can get you another one-week cruise on another line a few months later!

Hope this helps.

Hi Sheila,

Remember me? Carol and her mother, Pat, from the Infinity. Mom and I are looking to take our first Oceania cruise next year. We are thinking about the 16 day Barcelona to Stockholm on the Regatta. Funny thing is, when we booked our first cruise together in 2001, the ship was with Renaissance and the cruise was cancelled when they went bankrupt. Mom says we may be going full circle. We just returned from the Sapphire Princess in Australia. It was a wonderful cruise but we didn't think Princess was quite up to par with Celebrity. Since I've seen you last I have also been to England, France, and the Dominican Republic with my husband. Sounds like you and your DH have been keeping busy. I have been emailing Ellis and Dena as they are thinking of taking the Australian cruise next year. It is fun to come across old friends on cruise critic. Enjoy your travels.

Carol

Which Red October private tours would you recommend? Did you do the custom or just private tour?

Squeakers,

Laura at Red October will give you a suggested itinerary and then you can modify it if you'd like.

Red October and Denrus are both outstanding tour companies for St. Petersburg. I used Red October, however, everyone that went with Denrus raved about them also.

You can try to find another couple, or two, who will be on your cruise to share the costs of you can use them alone, which of course will be more expensive. We had a group of 4 which we we felt was the perfect number.

I think you'll love your Oceania cruise. We've been on two and hope to go on another, perhaps next year. The ships are very pretty, the service is wonderful and the food is great. The evening entertainment is fine with me - it's lowkey - but then, I'm not a huge fan of the big production numbers that the big ships have. I'm in my 40's and enjoy the passengers of all ages that Oceania attracts.

Jane

Hi Carol,

I just viewed your email and said, "That's Carol from our Infinity S.A. cruise!" We had cabin 7121 for our Baltic Cruise in 2003 and loved it. We tried to get it for our Black Sea Cruise in July, but couldn't. We did prevail for the Asian March 16th on the Nautica. Dee and Mike from Rochester are also booked for the Asian cruise with us and they have the aft cabin above us. So glad you have been traveling a lot. We took an Asian Tour with Tauck in October adn Irwin just returned from Tanzania with his brother. Do you still have my email address? I lost yours when my computer crashed. How is your mom doing? Have they rebuilt the area where she lives? Please send her my best wishes. You will love the Oceania -- we did and thus rebooked for two more.

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

Mom and I booked the Stockholm to London cruise in June of 2006. Did you go to any of these cities on your Baltic cruise- Tallin, St. Petersburg, Helsinki,

Gdansk, Copenhagen, Berlin, Amsterdam, and Bruges? I'm hoping that as the time gets closer we might find some other couples to do the Red October tours. I really like the large ships, like the Infinity and the Sapphire. I didn't care for Seabourne-too small. I'm hoping that the Oceania will be an acceptable size. We were really blown away by the itinerary and the free air clinched it for us. Since it is so port intensive I'll probably be too tired to party into the night anyway. I am going to miss the traditional seating but it's always fun to try something new. If you have any info or suggestions on any of these ports you can email me at bncvance@charter.net.

Carol

• 5 years later...
Just wondering if anyone has any updates on cabin 8024? My main questions are about noise from above, pool area, and next door as it is a connecting stateroom. Thanks

Any noise from connecting staterooms would depend on who your neighbours ;)

Also had cabin 8024 ( needed midship due to motion issues and all those cabins on deck 7 were occupied ) on a Panama Canal cruise a few yrs. ago and had some problems with noise coming from the pool deck. On quite a few occasions we would here the banging and scraping of the deck loungers above in the very early morning, as the crew were setting things up for the day. We had to bring this to their attention a number to times before they made an effort to be more careful when moving furniture around etc.

Keeping in mind that I am a fairly light sleeper, this might not have been a problem for those that sleep very soundly. We had no issues with noise coming from the connecting door though.

On our next cruise though I opted to make sure we had midship on Deck 7 and this worked out well. Will be in the same location on our next cruise in Spring '11

Archived