NOLA- taxi vs rental car

hlb76

We are coming into NOLA 2 days pre-cruise. We have yet to decide where we are staying but I have been tryingt o do my homework about all of this.

• I have found that most hotels do not offer shuttles from the airport to hotel nor do they run shuttle to the port.
  • I aslo see that there are only certian companies that can run shuttle to and from the airport... correct me if I am wrong here.
  • I have read that taxi's are per person not per ride...OUCH thats gonna hurt
  • Most hotel charge for parking.
  • Parking in NOLA is a pain.

We had planned to walk or use the streetcars to do our sight seeing if we can get into a hotel located properly so we dont really need the car for that. We are traveling a group of 8 split into 2 families (5 and 3). For my family (5) it's going to cost more less than $70 just to get to our hotel. :eek: This is where I wonder if we are better of renting something. Then we would also have it to stop and pick up any last minute things we forgot or need.

I have not looked into renting a car quite yet so they might be on the high side as well.

Anyone have any suggestions or words of advice.

Taxi is $33 for two and $14 for each extra. Not sure you can rent a car that would hold 8 for less than what the cab would be. You would need a van or such. On your return, you would still need to get to the airport. Shuttle is $20 per person. Nothing is cheap as far as getting around in NO. We drive and avoid all that.

I'm sure we would have to do 2 cars or rent one and take turns riding to the hotel :eek: But I just think the cabs are OUTRAGEOUSLY high. at least compared to the cost in Miami

Cabs are expensive, but renting a car and paying for parking would probably be more expensive. Just stay somewhere where you can walk to where you want to go - that will help with the expense. They do have an airport shuttle to most of the hotels. It is a little cheaper, that might be the way you want to go. New Orleans is not cheap, but as I said on another post, it is one of the most unique cities in the world.

If your plans are to sightsee in the French Quarter and Garden District area, then I wouldn't rent a car. It is beyond frustrating to park (and expensive!) I have lived here my whole life and I still cannot make sense of the parking signs (you will see what I mean when you get here. It is not just "no parking" it has details on when you can/cannot park, distance from corner, etc) By the time you paid to rent the car, park the car and time wasted to do all of these, it would have been cheaper to take a taxi (but you shouldn't need it much). You can walk to everything in the French Quarter and then take the street car if you want to see the Garden District. The Garden District Street connects (but I think you have to change street cars) to the one that runs along the river (French Quarter) then down Canal Street.

Archived