scheduling a cruise around school?

Forensicmom

ugh! I just moved to Munich, Germany and DD1 is about to start grade school. Apparently there is an official rule about not missing school for vacations, and police have been known to be at the airports watching for school aged children who are missing school!

Is this for real? I am not 100% sure, but I think it is. Germans are very into keeping the written law. I can't quite wrap my head around this just yet, but I guess I will get used to it soon enough.

Suffice it to say, we will have to plan around the school vacations as well.

My DD (11th grade) actually had the Principal of the highschool look at her like she was crazy when she said she would rather stay at home than go to Italy for 2 weeks. Guess who went to Italy.:D

I will say that she is a conscientious student and was able to do all her classwork. We copied the parts of the textbooks she needed and was able to get her assignments online. Our district has Independent Study for absences over 5 days. If the student turns in the assignments ontime the school get ADA monies and the student gets no attendance penalty.

We took the kids out only one other time during the school year in elementary school. Again encouraged by the teachers and Principal.

Archived