I recently came back from my first cruise (P&O Pacific sky brisbane to Noumea) and I am thinking of doing another around christmas time. A lot of agencies "advertise" last minute specials and that u can save a big bucks. Is it worth waiting till virtually the last minute.

My friends and I dont have an specific date to go on and, due to Uni holidays are fairly flexible.

I've noticed a few postings and spoken with people who cruised over xmas. There can be up to and over 500 kids on board at that time. I'm not sure of the breakdown of ages though and some ships have a maximum number of kids per cruise. Uni seems to start back a bit after primary and secondary school in Australia - early Feb - Both Feb & Nov always have good travel deals.

It's a bit hard to tell for this coming Xmas as P&O Australia is playing around with the ships based in Australia for Xmas.

The last few years a larger Princess ship comes and does repeat cruises to New Zealand each summer. These have mostly totally booked out well in advance, but often with good deals compared to P&O Australia.

It can go the other way on longer cruises in Feb, where the age group is above average as everyone is back at school and work.

We have been on 5 xmas cruises and even though their are alot of kids onboard you really don't notice it much at all. There is an equal number of elderly people who just want to get away over the holidays as they have no family to spend time with. The kids are in the kids programs and they really don't make a nuisance of themselves. We did 4 Carnival xmas cruises and one Princess cruise and never were kids a problem. I will tell you that I do book my xmas cruises a year in advance for the lowest pricing out there. I think you will have a harder time finding last minute bookings for this week. The ships are as full as they can be during this week. No cabin changes have been available ever on a xmas cruise.

To be honest, the kid thing doesnt really bother me. I am only 18 (i spose still just a kid myself) and on the last cruise I went on I did not even notice them. The Pacific Sky has a really good kids program, and they had their own section as well as meal times and games etc.

I didnt know there were as many kids on board until we left.

I dont have to go at christmas either. I have a long break for Uni holidays so can go whenever really.

Danii,

We have a habit of sailing around Christmas. From my observation, the week before Christmas is one of the cheapest times to book. Check out the online sites like Travelocity, Expedia and Priceline and etc. I think that you will find that the cheap seats are cheapest for a couple of weeks in Nov. the week before Xmas and maybe a week or 2 in Jan. Last minute trips can be a bargain but you can not count on them. Book early and save the worry.

Good luck and eat a shrimp for me.:D

Clackey

Archived