Mykonos - DIY

homeinboca

After a port intensive week, we would just like to relax on a beach in Mykonos. How easy is it to get around to the beachs? There's a shore excursion, but it gets you back at noon, and we may want to stay longer. Are cabs reasonable and available? Are there car rentals or scooter rentals near the port?

Thanks!

We hired a car from the car park at the side of the ship (mustang rent a car) but it seemed to be just luck that they were there. It cost €45 for the day.

As we left, we also noticed that there was a car hire place at the end of the drive from the port (Probably about 5 mins walk).

Not sure about taxis.

We found a car just gave us a bit of extra flexibility.

We did the bus to Platys Gialos after walking through the town and to the windmills. You just keep going and TADA! bus station. about 3E pp round trip. to/from beach every half hour. Limited taxis available

There are also scooter and ATV rentals which could be fun for like 20Euro per day (not sure on prices)

Dont pay for a tour. Not worth it from what I can tell

Would anyone happen to know if it is easy to find an ATV rental when we get there? I would book one on line but I'm not sure which company would be close to the pier. Thanks for any input, I appreciate it!

Gretta

Would anyone happen to know if it is easy to find an ATV rental when we get there? I would book one on line but I'm not sure which company would be close to the pier. Thanks for any input, I appreciate it!

Gretta

Most of the ATV hire companies are in town, whereas the pier (Tourlas Harbour) is a mile or more out of town. So I don't think there are many, if any, actually at the harbour.

Then you've got to understand the way Mykonos town is laid out. All round the old harbour there are very few roads at all, just narrow alleys and pathways. You couldn't get an ATV down these - and it would be a nuisance if could - so there won't be many of these shops actually near the old harbour, which is the centre of the town.

There's a sort of ring-road that snakes round the back of town. The paths and alleyways, and a few delivery streets, straggle up from the old harbour and intersect with this ring road. The main bus stops are on it; and it's on this road that the main ATV hire/car hire/motorbike hire shops are located. (Many of them do all three.) So if you're docking you've probably got to get from Tourlas Harbour into town - there'll probably be a shuttle bus for this - and then away from the old harbour and up to the ring road to find the hire shops.

We hired a car from the car park at the side of the ship (mustang rent a car) but it seemed to be just luck that they were there. It cost €45 for the day.

As we left, we also noticed that there was a car hire place at the end of the drive from the port (Probably about 5 mins walk).

Not sure about taxis.

We found a car just gave us a bit of extra flexibility.

Hi, we are heading to the island in september and was wondering what company you hired the mustang from?

Cheers

Is there any good snorkelling tours or beaches that you could go to yourself and snorkel from the shore ?

Off to both of the above in mid-September with Celebrity who don't have any snorkelling tours advertised.

Additionally to the above question for Mykonos, can anyone advise on Santorini too??

Also is the sea warm enough to snorkel at this time of year?

Thanks in advance:)

Archived