Formal nights on Carnival Pride

I spoke with a friend of mine who sailed on the Pride a couple of years ago and she didn't remember the formal nights being particularly formal (she has small children, so they weren't planning on dressing up those nights anyway). Now I just saw a youtube video of ship photos where the person who posted it said there were no formal gowns on the formal nights. Is that true? I have two long gowns I was planning on bringing, and my husband was going to pack his tux. Will we be out of place? Our two previous cruises looked like prom night on the formal nights ... Thanks!

You will see a range of things unfortunately including jeans on elegant night. Wear what makes you feel good. I missed cruising last year but when I went in 2009 it was a little more casual than the year before and much more causal than in the 80's. I also think it depends on itinerary as well as length of the cruise as to how formal.

We have gone on the Pride the past 2 years. There were still alot of people going formal, you would not be out of place at all. Kind of reminded me of Prom night. I wore a long black sun dress and DH wore tie with his buttong down shirt and dress pants and jacket. We wear uniforms all day so that is dressing up for us.

You will see a range of things unfortunately including jeans on elegant night. Wear what makes you feel good. I missed cruising last year but when I went in 2009 it was a little more casual than the year before and much more causal than in the 80's. I also think it depends on itinerary as well as length of the cruise as to how formal.

Well, it's a 7-night cruise to Bermuda, and there are supposed to be two formal (or now, "elegant") nights. I had to buy a formal gown for a black tie wedding and I wanted to get more use out of it by bringing it on the cruise. I also have another gown that is floor length that I was going to bring for the second night, and since I don't get dressed up much in my normal life, dressing up on a cruise is a big deal for me. (My husband couldn't care less, himself.)

It's been at least 5 or 6 years since we've cruised, and it sounds like the standards have changed a bit. Are all the cruise lines getting more lax in their dress codes or is this something Carnival has done just on their ships?

Just got off Pride yesterday. Have to agree with other posters, saw a wide variety of dress on 'Elegant Night' from Tuxes and gowns, to Polo's and khakis. My slant on this has always been, it's your vacation, dress the way YOU feel most comfortable.

Just got off yesterday and you see a mix. Very few tuxes and gowns, many in suits or shirt and tie or jacket with no tie. Many shorter dresses, nice, fancy but not gowns. Still say some that did nothing. I guess it all depends on what you want in your pictures or how you want to feel for the evening. Saw one guy in a tux the first night but a hawaian shirt the 2nd night.

Enjoy.

I was absolutely sick with worry about this before we cruised on the Pride last April (I didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb). That being said, I decided that I still wanted a reason to get all gussied up, and I purchased an extremely formal gown - a fun coral chiffon dress. On formal night I felt like I was standing out, but later on during post-dinner pictures, I saw that many people were dressed up. Perhaps not quite as crazy-elegant as I was, but it made me a lot more comfortable.

This year my Mom is wearing my gown, and I've already purchased my next one - again super-formal. Despite my experience last year, I'm still a bit nervous about standing out too much. At least we'll have an awesome family portrait! :D

Just got off yesterday and you see a mix. Very few tuxes and gowns, many in suits or shirt and tie or jacket with no tie. Many shorter dresses, nice, fancy but not gowns. Still say some that did nothing. I guess it all depends on what you want in your pictures or how you want to feel for the evening. Saw one guy in a tux the first night but a hawaian shirt the 2nd night.

Enjoy.

Just got off Pride yesterday. Have to agree with other posters, saw a wide variety of dress on 'Elegant Night' from Tuxes and gowns, to Polo's and khakis. My slant on this has always been, it's your vacation, dress the way YOU feel most comfortable.

That's awesome that you just cruised yesterday -- did either of you have an Ocean Suite? We've booked one and I'm very excited about upgrading from my husband's preference of an inside postage stamp! His theory is, why pay extra for a bigger cabin and balcony when you can just go upstairs on deck. My theory is, I want to ENJOY my cruise including relaxing on a balcony and having a great view ... Plus, it's my birthday present so he splurged! LOL.

I was absolutely sick with worry about this before we cruised on the Pride last April (I didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb). That being said, I decided that I still wanted a reason to get all gussied up, and I purchased an extremely formal gown - a fun coral chiffon dress. On formal night I felt like I was standing out, but later on during post-dinner pictures, I saw that many people were dressed up. Perhaps not quite as crazy-elegant as I was, but it made me a lot more comfortable.

This year my Mom is wearing my gown, and I've already purchased my next one - again super-formal. Despite my experience last year, I'm still a bit nervous about standing out too much. At least we'll have an awesome family portrait! :D

I wish we were sailing on the same cruise so at least there'd be two of us in formal gowns! LOL.

Archived