Is it worth taking a stroller?

OCMama

We are going back & forth whether it is worth taking an umbrella stroller for our 2 year old. We are flying in for our cruise, so trying to pack as light as possible. Would we really use it while strolling the ship? Our excursions include a beach day at Nachi Cocom in Cozumel, island tour in Roatan & sting ray & beach tour in Cayman Islands.

Would you bring the stroller along to each of the ports or would it be more of a hassle than help?

We are going back & forth whether it is worth taking an umbrella stroller for our 2 year old. We are flying in for our cruise, so trying to pack as light as possible. Would we really use it while strolling the ship? Our excursions include a beach day at Nachi Cocom in Cozumel, island tour in Roatan & sting ray & beach tour in Cayman Islands.

Would you bring the stroller along to each of the ports or would it be more of a hassle than help?

Well, based solely on your excursions there probably wouldn't be much use for a stroller. Especially Nachi!!!!

Having said that, being able to use one around the ship, in the airport, or if you go shopping at any of your ports will make it worthwhile to bring. Check with your airline, most do not charge for checking a small stroller as it is considered an assistive device and they will allow you to check it at the gate so you can use it up until your flight.

We used our stroller on the ship way more than we thought, it was nice to be able to keep our daughter confined while we were out and about and she even had some naps in it which allowed us to be out of our room during a few of her naps.

Is it a straight flight. Connecting? You might want it just for the airport. LOL. Depending on the airport it can be a long walk for little legs. I would just bring a small fold up umbrella stroller. Im not sure about the ports and such but it will def be useful in the travel to get to the ship n back.

Our flight is non-stop. We've flown once with him before & it was really nice to keep him in the stroller while we went through the airport. Our umbrella stroller is very light & comes with a carrying bag & strap. Okay, so we will bring it with us. I did think about bringing it on our excursions for travel back & forth from the ship. The boy is a brick, so very hard to carry. I just didn't know how much we would use it and if it would be a hassle to drag along.

Camlott says we don't need it for Nachi, so I will take this advise as I was thinking the same thing for this port. Anyone have any advise for the other 2 ports? Just to give you some more information, we are booked with Victor Bodden for the Best of Roatan tour. We could probably keep the stroller in the van if we don't use it, but have it there in case we do.

I'd like to hear about your tour in Roatan when you get back. Im thinking of booking that, i will have a 3 year old and 2 year old.

And for sure id take the stroller, especially if its light and has a strap. You never know when baby will want to take a nap or get tired of walking.

I took the 3 year old when he was 1. And we pushed him everywhere in it.. Down to dinner (but folded it up as we walked thru to our table) everywhere. I guess it is different though, because he couldnt walk yet at the time. And he was pushing 25 pounds, not something i want to carry all day long. lol

Didnt do the same stops as you. But even having the stroller while waiting in line to get in elevator, off the ship and pushing him to meet the van is nice.

If you use one at home, bring it. When it's hot, the last thing you want to have to do is hold a hot, wiggling child! Ships are quite large, and there's alot of walking. Just bring it...you'll be happy you did!

To me its an absolute no brainer, bring it!!! The airport, getting around the ship, just sheer comfort when your child is tired and doesn't want to walk, etc. The stroller is just really no trouble at all and, if you have an umbrella, folds up easily and shoves under the bed. My dd is almost 4, we will bring a stroller on our next cruise in november. Do not underestimate how tiring the excursions can be for the little ones and its often super hot and really humid.

Roatan: we were there last sept with our dd who was then 2.5 yrs old. We also booked with victor and it was an awesome day!!! We did the monkeys (trip highlight), iguana (dd loved them!), a stop at the beach. Truly, that day with victor (private car, driver and guide) for I think $125 for the 5 of us was the bargain of the trip. **The walk through mahogany bay (if you dock there) and over the small hill to meet the bodden guide would be reason enough to bring the stroller in my book.

We are booked on a wester carib cruise in 2/2012 and will be using bodden's tour again. We'll do things a bit differently this time but will definitely see the monkeys again and spend more time at one of the beach resorts.

I would bring the stroller. Even though our 13 month old DD didn't like riding in the stroller very much at the time we brought it so we could put everything else we could in the stroller. My wife typically carried our DD around in a sling and I pushed the diaper bag, beach bag, and whatever else we could load in the stroller when we went ashore. It worked out great.

Archived