hairdryers, irons on POA?

LakeErieLive

Yes, there is a hairdryer in the room. Some people have complained it's not very powerful if you have long, thick hair, but it seemed adequate to me. I can't answer about the irons, because I didn't have a need for one.

Both my wife and I found the hair dryer in the room to be adequate. As far as irons, most cruise lines, and I believe NCL is one, forbid irons to be used, although many people still take them. They are deemed a fire hazard and fire is one of the most dangerous hazards to cruisers. My wife and I take a small clothes steamer as well as one of the products you can buy to spray your hanging clothes and remove wrinkles. Both work fine. For the safety of all passengers, we forgo the iron and hope others do likewise.

Another tip I learned to avoid the need for an iron - pack with plastic. I put our hanging clothes on a hanger with a dry cleaner bag both underneath and on top of the garment and then laid them on top of the other clothes in the suitcase. They weren't wrinkled at all, and it was easy to unpack because they were already on hangers. Worked great.

Not having a do it yourself laundry on POA does present some problems. No irons available (bring a steamer) and make sure you pack enough shorts, underwear, tops etc. I had plenty of underwear, but ended up buying two more polo shirts and one more pair of shorts.

• 1 month later...

My hair is not very long, but it is pretty thick and the hair dryer worked just fine for me. Regarding the iron, we asked our room steward for one. He first responded that he'd be happy to take and iron whatever we needed, so we did leave a few things for him (although we were skeptical of whether there was a charge or not). He not only brought the items pressed (no charge) he also left us a small travel iron for the week.

Now, we did tip our steward very well....$10 pp daily...which we left out daily for him. So whether he would have gone above and beyond without the generous tips is hard to say...but he did take great care of us with them!

Archived