Fishing

suncruiser

We will be on the Serenade in November. My husband loves to fish. There are only ship sponsored fishing excursions for St. Maarten and St. Lucia (ship fishing excursions get canceled quite often and we have other things planned for these ports.) Since it would only be 2 of us, doing a charter with a non-ship sponsored company is out of the question. Does anyone know if there are vendors at the pier in Barbados for fishing excursions? We are thinking of just getting off the ship as early as possible and looking for a vendor on the pier. He did this in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and it was very affordable and he had the boat (albeit it small) to himself with the captain and his son. Thanks for your help!

fishing has seasons so check for when it's fishing season in barbados. for instance, i know that cozumel has great fishing in feb/march/april but in the fall, it's really slow so hit and miss. knew people who went fishing off season and caught nothing!

• 3 weeks later...

Suncruiser,

My wife & I were in Barbados this past January. We went downtown and wandered around and that's when we found the Marina. We had at least 3 offers for a charter as we walked past the boats. I'd say the boats ranged from 28 to 32 feet (give or take). They wanted $300 for a half-day. The deep water is less than 15 minutes from the marina, so wahoo and dorado (mahi-mahi) are within close range. There are also several restaurants along the marina walk, so I asked one of the managers if it would be possible to have any catch prepared in the restaurant by them on return of the fishing charter and he said "no problem, we do it all the time". It was a little too late in the day to fit all of this in, so we didn't wind up doing it.

We are returning in Jan. 2012. We're going to bee-line our way into town as soon as we can get off the ship. Set up our charter and restaurant. Get out fishing, hopefully catch the big one, get back have it cooked. Enjoy, then slowly walk back to the ship. In the "unlikely event" that we don't catch anything there is the commercial fishing dock and market on the walk back to the ship (20 min. along the waterfront & very enjoyable) where we can join the local fishermen and have the famous Barbados flying fish sandwich. My wife and I shared one last time there and it was delicious. We'll each get our own this time if we get shut out fishing. The market is a lot of fun, very colorful, and very interesting because you get to see all the fish being brought in and cleaned and prepped for sale. They were wheeling in shopping baskets filled to the brim with mahi. THERE ARE MANY FISH OUT THERE!!!!

Good luck & happy fishing!

If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me: coy88@comcast.net

PT-Cruiser, thanks so much for the info. We weren't having too much luck trying to set something up ahead of time, so we had resigned ourselves to just getting off the ship and seeing what he could find. Thanks for the info on looking for the marina. That information is very helpful and that's probably what we will end up doing.

Archived