Thanksgiving Day in OSJ

buffett010

We will be arriving into OSJ in the afternoon of USA's Thanksgiving Day. Does anyone know what will be open? Will we be able to visit the forts, shop, eat at a restaurant, etc? DH and I have visited several times; however, this is our son's first visit and we are looking for what is available that day. We do plan on going to the church across from the El Convento to see where Ponce de Leon is buried, but not sure what else will be available to us that day.

We will be arriving into OSJ in the afternoon of USA's Thanksgiving Day. Does anyone know what will be open? Will we be able to visit the forts, shop, eat at a restaurant, etc? DH and I have visited several times; however, this is our son's first visit and we are looking for what is available that day. We do plan on going to the church across from the El Convento to see where Ponce de Leon is buried, but not sure what else will be available to us that day.

:-(

The forts are closed Thanksgiving day,as are many museums. There will be some stores and restaurants open, but not all of them.

I assume the Cathedral will be open, for people to give thanks.

:-(

The forts are closed Thanksgiving day,as are many museums. There will be some stores and restaurants open, but not all of them.

I assume the Cathedral will be open, for people to give thanks.

What about day after Thanksgiving?

[quote=buffett010;29636935]We will be arriving into OSJ in the afternoon of USA's Thanksgiving Day. Does anyone know what will be open? Will we be able to visit the forts, shop, eat at a restaurant, etc? DH and I have visited several times; however, this is our son's first visit and we are looking for what is available that day. We do plan on going to the church across from the El Convento to see where Ponce de Leon is buried, but not sure what else will be available to us that day.

Thanksgiving day is called Día de Acción de Gracias in Puerto Rico, it is not a history related day in PR since the island is not a US-state and Puerto Rico had already over 100 years of it's own history when the pilgrims landed in the US.

it is a 'thank you God day' and it has a deep catholic religious meaning in Puerto Rico, expect Roasted Pork and rice with pegion peas and pasteles instead of Turkey, stuffing and cramberry sauce.

Thanks for the information. I'd rather experience Thanksgiving in San Juan with the food you eat on your religious holiday as I don't care for turkey and the accompaniments! Now to just find something for our son to do while we are there so he can experience the local culture a bit.

Thanks for the information. I'd rather experience Thanksgiving in San Juan with the food you eat on your religious holiday as I don't care for turkey and the accompaniments! Now to just find something for our son to do while we are there so he can experience the local culture a bit.

You will find turkey and the fixings on the menus too.

I have lived here 8 years, I have never seen /heard of any more special "religious aspect" to Thanksgiving day/Accion de Gracias here in PR than in the States, when you give thanks (to God) for the bounty we have.

Now...what will be available to do, I don't know. Of course, you can just walk around and see the outside of the forts and all the neat old buildings/houses etc. Tours- You will have to start calling tour companies and ask. I think Segway ran last Thanksgiving. Most tour companies, if they get enough interest, they may run tours.

There are always some tour bus operators at the pier that will take you somewhere.

If your hours are right, the moon is perfect for viewing the BioBay.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived