Snorkeling and swim with turtles

tobeyjc

We're not expert in swimming,but would like to experience snorkeling and swim with the turtles, is it hard to swim with the turtles? are they really going too deep in the water? how deep is the water? or are they just like the stingray they're going to swim around you? pls advise we're going on jUly 31 Serenade of the sea. thanks everyone!

We're not expert in swimming,but would like to experience snorkeling and swim with the turtles, is it hard to swim with the turtles? are they really going too deep in the water? how deep is the water? or are they just like the stingray they're going to swim around you? pls advise we're going on jUly 31 Serenade of the sea. thanks everyone!

The water is approx 18 ft deep. Just make sure you wear your inflaitable snorkling vest and you'll easily float around them. Flippers are not permitted.

To avoid the crowds, I highly recommend the 12 person excursion offered by Silver Moon Barbados http://www.silvermoonbarbados.com They also include drinks & lunch.

Definatley use the inflatable life vest and also advise the tour guide that you are not a great swimmer. They will stick with you or at least keep an eye on you. Some tours have kick boards they can give you as well. Good luck and have fun

The water is approx 18 ft deep. Just make sure you wear your inflaitable snorkling vest and you'll easily float around them. Flippers are not permitted.

To avoid the crowds, I highly recommend the 12 person excursion offered by Silver Moon Barbados www.silvermoonbarbados.com They also include drinks & lunch.

thanks for the advised, we'll try..

Definatley use the inflatable life vest and also advise the tour guide that you are not a great swimmer. They will stick with you or at least keep an eye on you. Some tours have kick boards they can give you as well. Good luck and have fun

Thanks for the advise we'll try...

snorkeling is more like floating in the water, not swimming. just have to comfortable and yes, use the life vests. the turtles are generally not the giant turtles. i haven't been but have seen lots of pictures and my close friend did it. i was talking with charles, from the "cliffsharker" - has a small boat and he can be found on facebook. he said they feed the fish and normally, they go somewhere shallow.

• 2 weeks later...

BD024-M.jpg

BD022-M.jpg

It is not at all difficult to swim with the turtles. The guides feed the turtles to get them to come close to the boat. If you are uncomfortable in the water, use the vest as others have suggested.

Have been twice. Once on Sivermoon and the other with Calabaza. Both were great experiences, but Calabaza really raised the bar. The experience with them was so much more than just the turtles! The food, drinks, the boat and, of course, the crew were all amazing!

Not an experience not to be missed!

Have a great trip!

BD024-M.jpg

BD022-M.jpg

It is not at all difficult to swim with the turtles. The guides feed the turtles to get them to come close to the boat. If you are uncomfortable in the water, use the vest as others have suggested.

Have been twice. Once on Sivermoon and the other with Calabaza. Both were great experiences, but Calabaza really raised the bar. The experience with them was so much more than just the turtles! The food, drinks, the boat and, of course, the crew were all amazing!

Have a great trip!

Here is the main reason why I didn't booked a cat. snorkel with the Turtles and why I am doing a shore snorkel Just look at the number of hands and feet in these photos. Last time in Barbados that is how all my photos turn out. Also at the reef had a A** jump off a tour boat and landed on my back

Paul

Here is the main reason why I didn't booked a cat. snorkel with the Turtles and why I am doing a shore snorkel Just look at the number of hands and feet in these photos. Last time in Barbados that is how all my photos turn out. Also at the reef had a A** jump off a tour boat and landed on my back

Paul

SO do you mean you will just go to one of the beaches and swim out to the turtles or is there and actual excursion from the shore? Also where do you suggest to go?

And a question for the pp who went on the Calabaza and Silvermoon, How difficult is it to get on and of the boats as my mother is older and not in shape... thanks

SO do you mean you will just go to one of the beaches and swim out to the turtles or is there and actual excursion from the shore? Also where do you suggest to go?

And a question for the pp who went on the Calabaza and Silvermoon, How difficult is it to get on and of the boats as my mother is older and not in shape... thanks

otiscruiser; Yes One of the main places the tours boats go is about 100 yds off Payne's Beach You can swim out to the site or get one of the locals to boat you out to the site.When you arrive and there a large amount of boats wait until they start departing and then go out. also the reef and shipwreak site which the tours boats visit is not to afar away and the locals can take you to them also.

Me! well wife and I plan to visit Paynes beach and then to Carlise bay beach

Paul

178 days to go for cruise

Both Calabaza and the Silvermoon tour we were on only allowed 12 guests per trip. The turtles are attracted to the area by the food from the guides, so, for the most part, all 12 people wanted to be up close and personal with the turtles.

I did not find it difficult to get from the water to the boat, but I know that different people have different mobility issues.

Here is a link to Calabaza's gallery page so you can see the boat. Of course, the grew is always available to lend a helping hand!

http://www.calabazasailingcruises.com/gallery.html

We just came back from our cruise on the Seranade of the seas. We did the Calabaza and it was wonderful. We loved it. 100.00 a person was worth every memory. first we were picked up at the pier and transported to thier marina. Not far at all. Then Dan, Gina and Chad greeted us. We were served coffee and other drinks and warm banana bread, then we headed out to where the turtles were and there were 2 boats there already, the silvermoon boat, and some other small boat. not crowded at all. It is very easy to get in and out of the water. They have inflatable life vest and noodles ( the kind you would use in your pool) I found the noodles worked great. I started out with a vest but took it off. Chad gets in the water and feeds the turtles, there were around 6 different ones swimming around us. Loved it.Then got on the boat and headed to a snorkle site. Saw so many different kinds of fish. Chad also gets in with you and shows you around. Then we all got back on the boat and Gina had prepared a wonderful meal. Plenty to eat. After eating we went back into the water and swam to the beach, it wasnt that far away, Im not in good shade at all. The whole trip was so relaxing. Oh and gina makes a great nurse too, my 15 yr old son stubed his baby toe and took a nice chunk out of it and she bandage it up and it heal great. Thank you Gina. I would recommend them to anyone. My 69 yr. old mother went, she did not get in the water and had a wonderful time too.:D:D:D:D:D

To avoid the crowds, I highly recommend the 12 person excursion offered by Silver Moon Barbados http://www.silvermoonbarbados.com They also include drinks & lunch.

We used Silver Moon 3/2011. We used the 24 person cat. Great co. to work with.

How did you get the 12 person cat??? When I contact them, the 24 cat is the only available cat. We will be there in 2012 and want to sail with them again.

We used Silver Moon 3/2011. We used the 24 person cat. Great co. to work with.

How did you get the 12 person cat??? When I contact them, the 24 cat is the only available cat. We will be there in 2012 and want to sail with them again.

We were a family of 12 and prebooked for 12. At the time we booked, no other reservations existed. Others not with our family also prebooked for 12 so Silvermoon had no choice but to use both their cats for 2 groups of 12 since everyone paid the fee for a 12 person excursion. Our group was given the 24 person cat even though we only had 12 people. This was great!!! We had plenty of room to spread out.

In your situation, Silver Moon must already have a prior reservation for a 24 person cruise (less expensive than the 12 person cruise) so they must reserve the bigger cat for this purpose. I assume the 12 person cruise is already sold out?

Either way, you'll have a great time as you know.

• 3 weeks later...

The turtles don't like you and are not attracted to you. Don't get me wrong, they don't dislike you either and don't really mind you being around to swim with them and watch them. But they don't come up to see you because they are friendly or to see what you look like.

They come to get food. That's it, bottom line. So the way to see them is with an experienced guide which knows where to go and the proper food to feed them. The turtles know the guides and location so when they see the boat pull up and the guide get into the water with their pail of proper turtle dinner they come circle around him. That is your absolute best opportunity to see and swim with the turtles. Yes if you do it a different way you may see some turtles but I doubt you'll have a dozen or more swimming right around your area for a long time.

There are lots of operators who will take you to see the turtles, I've even read there there are some who will solicit a short ride to them if you're on the nearby beach. Which operator you should pick depends a lot on what you're looking for and your budget. Some pack a catamaran with as many guests as the boat, and the authorities, safely allow and some have very uncrowded boats that sail with small groups at a fraction of their capacity. Some are just transportation and some are as much, or more, about a wonderful day sailing than they are about the turtle and snorkeling stops.

Personally, we love Silver Moon for the entire Barbados day-sail experiance and love the uncrowded feeling and great service they provide. We haven't tried any of the other operators because we like them so much and we've sailed with them 6 times over the years.

We went with Calabaza in May - Both my Mom and MIL were with us. My MIL is 79 and Mom is 70ish - there is a ladder to go into the water and the crew is FAB - this was our 2nd time with them and they played a large part in our coming back - Danny is a big boy and has a way with the older ladies. Very kind and courteous with both Mom's. You will love it

Can anyone tell me about the food served on both Silver Moon and Calabaza? I have a DD who requires a gluten-free diet, another who is vegetarian and a DH who is allergic to seafood (I'm the most normal of the bunch, only allergic to mushrooms).

I would definitely talk to them on on the phone about this - especially the allergies. Only they can tell you what they can and can not do as far as the food allergies are concerned. I've been on Silver Moon 6 times and don't remember the food in detail - only that they always have a fish dish and rice among the offerings. It might also depend on the allergies, for example does your DH's seafood allergy only cause problems if he eats seafood or will he also have issues with minor cross contamination during food prep? Be sure to mention such details to them. I believe the crew on Silver Moon once told us the food is prepared by another company for them and it is brought on prepared and ready to warm up and serve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have a great trip!

If you don't mine answering: what was the cost for the Calabaza trip?

momK

If you don't mine answering: what was the cost for the Calabaza trip?

momK

After reading a few different posts, seems to be 100-115 per person. Gina is charging me 110pp, but I've seen different numbers floating around CC. One person said it's 5 dollars cheaper to pay in cash, but Gina didn't mention that to me. Maybe the price depends on the month?

Both Calabaza and the Silvermoon tour we were on only allowed 12 guests per trip. The turtles are attracted to the area by the food from the guides, so, for the most part, all 12 people wanted to be up close and personal with the turtles.

I did not find it difficult to get from the water to the boat, but I know that different people have different mobility issues.

Here is a link to Calabaza's gallery page so you can see the boat. Of course, the grew is always available to lend a helping hand!

http://www.calabazasailingcruises.com/gallery.html

It is very easy to get in and out of the water.

OK - I am one with issues getting in and out of the water. I do not want to be hauled out by the crew - did that once and it was embarrassing! So, I know that at least one company has a ladder that extends into the water, but now I can't find them. Can anyone help me?

Archived