Panama Canal Transit Schedule

bigwalt0176

The DW and I are doing a Panama Canal cruise in September. I have been looking for a transit schedule for the transit from the Pacific to Atlantic but could not find one on this site. We wanted to know the high points (locks, bridges, etc) and the low points where we could enjoy the pool and dining without missing something. The best we could come up with was Panama Canal Transit 2010 on youtube.com.

So I understand that the times are approximate and will change, here is what I have understood:

6:42 AM - Bridge of the Americas

7:30 Enter Miaflores Docks

9:03 Leave Miaflores and Enter Lake

9:22 Approach Pedro Miguel

9:56 Exit Pedro Migual locks and enter Culebra Cut

10:23 Approach Continental Bridge and Cruise Gantun Lake

3:13 Enter Gantun Locks

5:10- Clear Gantun Lock and enter Caribbean

If this is not approximately accurate, please let me know.

That's a fairly good guesstimate. Most passenger ships do a daylight transit so those times you provided certainly fall within the norms. The only thing a little on the unclear side in the description is where you leave Pedro Miguel Locks and enter Gaillard (Culebra, the original name) Cut. The Cut is about a 9 mile passage from Pedro Miguel Locks to Gamboa, the Centennial Bridge appears fairly quickly after leaving Pedro Miguel. The Bridge is located in the Cut and there will be a substantial portion of the Cut left to navigate after you pass under the Centennial Bridge. A side note just for clarification, Gaillard Cut is actually a portion of Gatun Lake, just most of the time they are identified as two distinct locations with Gatun Lake beginning at Gamboa.

I think you will find that most of the ship's narration will occur while the ship is approaching the Locks, in the Locks and transiting Gaillard Cut. They usually take a break during the passage across Gatun Lake, from Gamboa to Gatun Locks. That's not to mean there is nothing to see, there is a lot of great scenery to take in.

It is a great cruise, hope you enjoy!

Going back through my pics and found this one. Our ship is entering Pedro Miguel Locks and in the distance you can see the Centennial Bridge. It's not very far into the Cut. Thought a picture would be worth a whole lot of keystrokes;).

25k0iz5.jpg

The DW and I are doing a Panama Canal cruise in September. I have been looking for a transit schedule for the transit from the Pacific to Atlantic but could not find one on this site. We wanted to know the high points (locks, bridges, etc) and the low points where we could enjoy the pool and dining without missing something. The best we could come up with was Panama Canal Transit 2010 on youtube.com.

So I understand that the times are approximate and will change, here is what I have understood:

6:42 AM - Bridge of the Americas

7:30 Enter Miaflores Docks

9:03 Leave Miaflores and Enter Lake

9:22 Approach Pedro Miguel

9:56 Exit Pedro Migual locks and enter Culebra Cut

10:23 Approach Continental Bridge and Cruise Gantun Lake

3:13 Enter Gantun Locks

5:10- Clear Gantun Lock and enter Caribbean

If this is not approximately accurate, please let me know.

If Bill thinks that's a good guide then it is, so go by that.With that schedule you won't miss the 'high points' as they are fairly visible from afar, especially as you will know what you are looking for and there will probably be a commentary over the PA system.

On my transit I made these which show all the stages above

Pacific entrance - Culebra/Gaillard Cut

The cut - Caribbean Sea/Atlantic ocean

The cut is the special wonder of the canal and I was most interested in that (as well as the locks) because it is humbling to consider that every yard was man-made at vast human and fiancial cost.

As Bill says, the obvious point for a break is when you are in Gatun Lake, keeping an ear out for anything special. Even by the pool and dining nearby you are well-placed to quickly see anything of particular interest.

I'm sure you will have a great day

Tony

Pastry Man, You have it more or less. I start my book when I start my day doing commentary from the Bridge on Canal Cruises . . . at 5AM. Generally the pick up for the pilot and when you are actually in Canal waters is 5am. Which is when I would recommend that you be up and about. There is a lot to see as you enter the Canal Northbound. The sun is generally up by 6:30AM . . . and it starts getting light by around 5:30AM. You're the reason I wrote the book (which I'm not advertising, just stating a fact). The more you know what to expect and have some background about Panama and the Canal the more your will enjoy your transit.

You didn't say which ship you are on???

Regards, Richard

Archived