Crown Princess vs Westerdam Christmas

ussuriysk

Hello,

I'm trying to decide between Crown Princess and Westerdam for a Christmas cruise for my partner and I and our 12 year old son. While HAL comes out a few hundred more, it's 8 days vs 7 days, an extra port and we like the schedule better, so advantage Westerdam. But the quotes aren't apples to apples, since the Westerdam is a VD Verandah Stateroom and the Crown is for an AB mini-suite. So, in your experience, is the difference between the cabins enough to tip the decision away from HAL?

FWIW we haven't cruised either line before... Carnival and Norwegian, and we are over Carnival. (Our preference was always Windjammer Barefoot Cruises, but that's over too :(

Also, looking at the floorplan on HAL's website, I can't tell where the third/fourth beds are in the Verandah rooms - the image is the same for all categories, even though there seems to be a difference in sq ft. Does anyone know if it's an upper bunk or a fold-out sofabed?

Oh, and does anyone know if there's a ping-pong table on either ship?

Thanks!

To answer your questions about the third berth in a VD, it will be a fold out sofa bed.

I was recently on the Westerdam and have cruised on her 3 times and I was on the Crown in January 2010 so cannot give recent experience. I agree that the Mini Suite on Princess is very nice but...as you mentioned the Westerdam is one day longer, and the itinerary is better. I will add that just my opinion the over all food quality has an edge to HAL unless you like to eat nothign but Italian and Pizza because that is where Princess shines :D Entertainment is going to be the same but going back to the cabin while the Mini Suite is larger in Square foot unless you got one of the aft Mini Suites with the double balcony then the balcony will be larger on HAL. Also the AB mini suite balcony is not covered at all and the cabins above you can look right down on you. With the not being covered it is always exposed to the sun and even in December can get quite hot in the Caribbean. Cabin amenities are far superior on HAL than they are on Princess, the bath products of Elemis on HAL are great, the beds are so much more comfortable as well as the sheets and HAL gives you a top sheet ;) You will not find one on Princess which totally amazes me :eek: Of course it is a known fact that Princess beds are not comfortable and I do not believe that has changed since I last sailed them. If you average out per day what you are spending I think you will find HAL might cost a few dollars more but it will be worth it. :)

IMO -- Beds on HAL much better than Princess. I don't like the cantilever style balcony of Princess ships. Half Moon much better than Princess Cay. Hot chocolate on Holland, not on Princess. We were on Crown last April and had a wonderful cruise. But between the two I would choose Westerdam.

• 3 months later...

Archived