venice debarkation to train

jones4664

I don't know how quickly debarkation happens in Venice. We need to make train travel decisions and it all depends on what time we get off the ship. We are on the Princess Ruby if anyone can help us!! Thanks so much...:)

Why not wait and purchase your train tickets when you get to the station? That way you don't need to stress over getting the right time and risk either missing your train (and thereby forfeiting what you paid for the ticket) or killing time in the station waiting for one.

We need to make train travel decisions and it all depends on what time we get off the ship.

Even though you've gotten good advice about making your train purchases day-of, I recommend doing a little bit of research at the trenitalia web site and write out the times of some of your options.

We once did a complicated land vacation in Italy (Venice to Ravenna to Urbino to Bologna) entirely by train and bus. We had researched the train tables during the planning stages, had narrowed our choices for each trip, and had written everything out.

In Venice, we ended up at a window with a ticket seller who either didn't or wouldn't speak English, although we could clearly hear that this was not the case for the ticket sellers to our right and left. My Italian -- always rudimentary -- is pretty bad for numbers. After struggling to say the times for the train I wanted, I realized I was holding a paper with our preferences typed out. I simply put the paper where we both could see it and I pointed to the preferred time.

The transaction went so smoothly after that, we actually bought a couple more of our tickets when we had to take specific trains to meet up with a bus or to arrive in time to meet a guide.

If you know the words for "ticket and track" in Italian, you'll be able to cope no matter who shows up on the other side of that ticket window.

Below, I've tried to give you the sound of the words you're likely to hear the ticket seller say to you. Anyone who is fluent in Italian is welcome to correct my attempts.

ticket: biglietto (sounds like bee -- yeh -- letto)

track: binario (sounds like bin -- ar -- ee -- oh)

And while you're on the platform, keep your ears open for announcements with the words "ritardo" (ree -- tard -- oh) which means the train is running late. I am able to understand this announcement, but the few times it has occurred during our many trips to Italy, friendly Italians would interrupt their own conversation to tell us in English that the train would be late.

Thanks for your advice. We will have 7 or 8 adults traveling so I'm trying to make it as smooth as possible. The Venice to Torino trains depart at around 11 and again at 2 so we'd like to make the earlier one if possible so hopefully we can debark quickly! Now to figure out which station...thanks again!

Archived