Looking for exursion ideas for Western Caribbean

beckyjohns

We will be cruising in October to the Western Caribbean with our twin boys who will be 4 1/2 at the time. Our ports are Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya. I'm looking for excursion ideas for the family. My husband and I are divers and will scuba dive on our own at 2 ports, probably Cozumel and Roatan, but if there's a compelling reason, we would be willing to switch around those diving days. My boys are relatively good swimmers and are interested in pretty much anything adventurous. I'm looking for something other than just a day at the beach. I know the Carnival excursions are pretty limited for 4-year-olds, but we're fine with using outside vendors. Any suggestions?

We will be cruising in October to the Western Caribbean with our twin boys who will be 4 1/2 at the time. Our ports are Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya. I'm looking for excursion ideas for the family. My husband and I are divers and will scuba dive on our own at 2 ports, probably Cozumel and Roatan, but if there's a compelling reason, we would be willing to switch around those diving days. My boys are relatively good swimmers and are interested in pretty much anything adventurous. I'm looking for something other than just a day at the beach. I know the Carnival excursions are pretty limited for 4-year-olds, but we're fine with using outside vendors. Any suggestions?

The cruise critic boards are very helpful.

I was on the Carnival Legend on a similar cruise to the Western Caribbean in 2009.

Went to the Port specific boards on CC and checked TripAdvisor.com.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

We ended up doing Cave Tubing in Belize with Vitalino @ cavetubing.bz

11434_1246172483589_1507726387_30674450_5809569_n.jpg

Went on a tour with Victor Bodden that included Zip Lining in Roatan

11434_1246165523415_1507726387_30674368_4018150_n.jpg

Cozumel... we ended up at Tulum... but Chankunaab is my usual stomping grounds (where I had my checkout dive in the 80s, still decent snorkeling/lots of fish, but the reef suffered a lot of hurricane damage)...

Both Belize and Cozumel lay on the Mezoamerican reef system... the 2nd largest coral reef system in the world (second to the Great Barrier Reef)... But Belize City isn't as close to the good scuba areas as Cozumel is (Palancar Reef is still an amazing dive area)

The only difference between your itinerary and my 2009 itinerary is Costa Maya. I ended up at Grand Cayman... not Costa Maya. Last time I was at Costa Maya, it was still being developed...

Archived