Camp Carnival info on the Glory

leaski

I am taking my GS (10) on a cruise next month. I have never had to deal with Camp Carnival as the last time he sailed was a few years ago and his Mom was with us. I just have a few questions for anyone with a little experience in this area. First of all, what deck is it on? I looked on the website at the deck plans and say Circle C and Club 02, but no Camp Carnival. Am I missing something?

Here is a list of my questions for anyone brave enough to answer.:o

1. Will I have a pager or an phone so they can reach me?

2. How much is the pajama party and is it all night or just till real late?

3. Will he be allowed to leave on his own? (I hope not!!)

4. He wants to know what kind of video games they have.

5. Do they take the kids around the ship to do things, or just stay there?

This trip is for him and I am, within reason, letting him dictate what he would like to do. I have told him we have some ground rules, like he still has to eat healthy foods, not just junk, and he also needs to have at least two meals a day with me, but I am trying to really make this all about him.

I am sure there are things I am missing as I am not used to this, so if you have any words of info to share on this, please feel free to share!:D

We cruised on the Glory the spring of 2010. Camp Carnival, I believe is one floor up from the Lido deck ( where the pool is). It is not near Circle C.

They do not give you pagers or phones (or at least not for that age - maybe for the younger children).

They do have activities that take them around the ship at times.

You have the option of letting your GS sign himself out. My son tended to do that since he sometimes got bored with what the group was doing (there are a lot of younger kids in there). He tended to make friends & after he had a little group of buddies, we would let him go with his friends around the ship (outside of Camp Carnival) as long as he checked in with us every hour or two. He would give us a basic idea where he was going (pool area, basketball court, trivia game, etc)

Your GS should have a great time. Carnival is wonderful for kids.

I'll give it a shot:

1. No pager, unless he's special needs or under 5 (by your request).

2. Pajama Party costs extra and is from 10pm to 3am.

3. He will be able to sign himself out, but you can set it up so he cannot do so. We let our daughter sign herself in and out, but her rule is that she can only do so when we let her. Since we have other kids, she will often sign herself out at the appointed time and meet us as we're getting her younger siblings out of their respective camps (though both the oldest will be in the same group and able to sign themselves out on our cruise later this month). If you set limits and trust him, it will make it so much easier when you pick him up if he can sign himself out; you'll get to "skip the line" of other parents and caregivers picking up children.

4. When we were on the Glory, they had just gotten a couple of Wiis, but that was several years ago now and our kids were so little they didn't really care too much. It's a pretty safe bet that there will be Wiis and Playstations 3, at least. Xbox doesn't have many family-friendly titles, so the Glory may not have one.

5. They will get out of the camp a lot, actually. He'll get to see a lot even if he's in camp almost the whole time. If he wants to swim and use the slides, though, it's probably best to do that with you, since they rarely take the kids there. The Glory has several kid lounges where they will have crafts and game tournaments throughout the week.

Camp Carnival is on Deck 12 forward (near the adults only deck, surprisingly).

What a nice trip, and how sweet of you. I hope you two have a blast!

the kids can not sign themselves out after 10pm (and there is a charge of 6.00 per hour)

PJ party is one night from 10pm til 3am- a counselor walks the kids back to his cabin. (cost is 30.00)

games are available but can only be played during the game time. You child will not be able to go there to play games all day long-- (just let them know this so they are not disappointed)

this age group (9-11) do ship wide scavenger hunts in the public areas-

they should NOt be in the cabin area for this. Please tell your child that cabin areas are off limits and they are not to walk about one back to their cabin for any reason nor should they take new kids to their cabin either/

Thank you all so much for the info!! I was concerned about how he would let me know if he wanted to come hang with me, or whatever. He knows he can't play games the whole time, which is why I wanted to know what else they did with them. I think he will like the scavenger hunt, and he thinks the idea of a pajama party is kinda cool. I am really looking forward to this time with him!!! I am very nervous about letting him sign himself out though. My DD thinks he will get confused to easily and get lost. I'm thinking if I walk him around familiar paths, and he knows where I will be when he is there, then we should be good. I'll give him a couple test runs, see how it goes.

Thank you, again!!!

Thank you all so much for the info!! I was concerned about how he would let me know if he wanted to come hang with me, or whatever. He knows he can't play games the whole time, which is why I wanted to know what else they did with them. I think he will like the scavenger hunt, and he thinks the idea of a pajama party is kinda cool. I am really looking forward to this time with him!!! I am very nervous about letting him sign himself out though. My DD thinks he will get confused to easily and get lost. I'm thinking if I walk him around familiar paths, and he knows where I will be when he is there, then we should be good. I'll give him a couple test runs, see how it goes.

Thank you, again!!!

I have papers from the Pride- email me at Serene56@aol.com with camp papers and the age you are looking for.- to at least give you an idea.

We just disembarked Glory this morning and our 11 YO was in the 9-11 Camp Carnival group. He enjoyed it (there was a message on our answering machine when we arrived home from one of the friends he met on the cruise). One disappointment, though, was that there was no super late night party on this cruise - not enough kids signed up. And there were tons of kids on this cruise. I think Carnival priced themselves out of the market on this one. It used to be $26; now it's $33 with a 15% gratuity, which brings the total cost to over $37. When I asked one of the counselors about signing up for the party, she took our information but told us that no one else had signed up at that point and to check with them to see whether the party would happen. The day of the party, only 3 kids were signed up. And son told us he asked some of his friends about the party and they all said "it's too expensive." It's too bad, because our son always loved this party.

On signing in and out - you have the option to require a parent to sign in and out, but the child will not be able to participate in activities like scavenger hunts. Our solution when our son first started in this group was to give him sign in/out privileges, but one of us would walk him to the activity site and meet him there at the end of activities.

We just disembarked Glory this morning and our 11 YO was in the 9-11 Camp Carnival group. He enjoyed it (there was a message on our answering machine when we arrived home from one of the friends he met on the cruise). One disappointment, though, was that there was no super late night party on this cruise - not enough kids signed up. And there were tons of kids on this cruise. I think Carnival priced themselves out of the market on this one. It used to be $26; now it's $33 with a 15% gratuity, which brings the total cost to over $37. When I asked one of the counselors about signing up for the party, she took our information but told us that no one else had signed up at that point and to check with them to see whether the party would happen. The day of the party, only 3 kids were signed up. And son told us he asked some of his friends about the party and they all said "it's too expensive." It's too bad, because our son always loved this party.

On signing in and out - you have the option to require a parent to sign in and out, but the child will not be able to participate in activities like scavenger hunts. Our solution when our son first started in this group was to give him sign in/out privileges, but one of us would walk him to the activity site and meet him there at the end of activities.

Thanks so much for the info. I like the idea of walking him to the activities. I'm nervous about letting him wander on his own. He might not even feel comfortable himself as he tends to be a bit shy about unfamiliar places. I just want him to have a good time. Too bad about the late night party! I did tell him about it and he loved the idea of it, so hopefully we will have better luck.

Archived