Kid's menu on Princess

texasdillo

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what is on the kid's menu in the MDR. In general, what type of items are usually on the menu? I will be bringing my grandchildren (7 & 9) on the Crown next March.

Thanks in advance.

If you do a search, you'll probably find a scan of the actual menu, but it's the typical kids stuff - cheeseburger, hot dog, chicken strips, mac & cheese, fries, fruit. Princess also has the most amazing fettucini alfredo available on the main menu every night and one of my girls would eat it every day of her life if she could.

Best,

Mia

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what is on the kid's menu in the MDR. In general, what type of items are usually on the menu? I will be bringing my grandchildren (7 & 9) on the Crown next March.

Thanks in advance.

As Kerry's Girls says, the kid's menu contains the usual suspects. But consider this a golden opportunity to encourage the grandkids to experiment a little and expand their palates. At a land restaurant, you probably wouldn't want to risk ordering an expensive appetizer or entree for your child to try if there was only a 30% chance it would get eaten. But on a cruise, your food is already included, so you can afford to encourage them to try something new.

Our kids were 4 and 8 on their first cruise. The first night they ordered chicken nuggets. Then they figured out they could order filet mignon, and they've never looked back. Their favorite cruise menu items are: filet mignon, new york strip, prime rib, caesar salad, french onion soup, fettucine alfredo, and creme brulee. The biggest problem is adjusting back to "normal" restaurants at home, and telling them no, you can't order soup, salad, entree and dessert at every meal!:D

As Kerry's Girls says, the kid's menu contains the usual suspects. But consider this a golden opportunity to encourage the grandkids to experiment a little and expand their palates.

I completely agree with this - it's such a great opportunity that I wouldn't be able to afford on land. In fact, our rule on a cruise is no kid menu at dinner (lunch only). They end up enjoying ordering like a grown up - I help them decide and then let them tell the waiter what they want. One of mine will eat anything and has a ball and the other is very picky, but always finds steak or pasta she'll eat.

Best,

Mia

I agree with the suggestion to have them try the adult menu if they want. My son who is 5 has been on 3 cruises, and the last one he only ordered off the kids menu once.

Princess does some great chilled fruit soups that he loves. He's also a fish eater, so he enjoyed fish prepared several different ways, instead of just having fish sticks off the kids menu several nights in a row.

He is encouraged to order off the kids menu when we eat out at home, but we take advantage of having paid for his meals in the cruise fare when on board a ship. Unfortunately, he was spoiled by the ship, and the first time we went out after the last cruise, he wanted to be able to order two different entrees.

I agree about letting the kids order off the adult menu! Ten years ago we did a family cruise when my kids were 2, 5 and 8, and my nieces were 6.5 and 3.5. I told my kids ahead of time that they could try whatever they wanted from the real menu. The older two had a great time eating grown up food. (The 2 year old mostly ate from our plates.) The 8 year old had beef (steak, prime rib, etc) nearly every night. The 5 year old had fish nearly every night. At lunch, they tried all sorts of things from the buffet.

My nieces, on the other hand, ordered chicken nuggets 3 nights in a row, then whined and picked at them. I kept telling my SIL to have them order from the real menu, but she didn't think they'd like it. Finally Grandma started giving the 3.5 year old tastes from her plate, and she was much happier. Unfortunately, that part of the family ate dinner at the buffet most of the rest of the week because they thought it was easier to find things the kids would eat without whining. I thought it was so sad that those girls lost the opportunity to try new foods that week... and my kids agreed!

We are finally taking my kids on another cruise, 10 years later. They are now 12, 15 and 18. They have been looking at the sample menus and food photos online. My teenage boys plan to just eat and eat all day long and try anything and everything. The 15 year old says he plans to eat like a Hobbit - Breakfast, 2nd breakfast, elevensies, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner and supper... with a dessert after each. The 18 year old is particularly looking forward to sushi, prime rib, and Nutella ice cream. He wants 2 of everything. It's a good thing that I've forbidden them to use the elevator unless absolutely necessary, because they are going to need the exercise to work off all the food they will eat!

When we took our grandkids, ages 5-11 on a cruise last winter all but the two youngest had a grand time ordering from the main menu. I had thought we'd be eating most dinners in the buffet because they wouldn't tolerate the long dining time, but no, they loved everything about the dinners, especially ordering off the 'big' menu.

They still brag to their friends about eating escargot. The 5 & 7 year olds were less adventurous and usually ordered off the kid's menu, though the 5 discovered Caeser salads and had one every night.

Dinners with the seven of them are a special memory--they so quickly adjusted to the dressing up, the ambiance, the variety of food, etc. We even got complimented on their behavior. Our waiters (select dining) gave us a fantastic experience.

Archived