Transportation from Venice to Koper, Slovenia

We are planning to go to the Adriatic sea cruise in October this year on the Voyager of the Seas. We will embark in Venice and the next day will be in Koper, Slovenia. My friend also want to join us for 1 day in Koper because he will be in Venice a few days before we embark and he won't be in the cruise with us. So, my question is: Does anybody know are there other forms of transportation to go to Koper from Venice other than taking the plane? Thanks!

We are planning to go to the Adriatic sea cruise in October this year on the Voyager of the Seas. We will embark in Venice and the next day will be in Koper, Slovenia. My friend also want to join us for 1 day in Koper because he will be in Venice a few days before we embark and he won't be in the cruise with us. So, my question is: Does anybody know are there other forms of transportation to go to Koper from Venice other than taking the plane? Thanks!

I've been looking into the same thing too, as we're going to be on the Voyager this October as well (are you on the same sailing as us?). My daughter will be working in Italy at that time and we thought it would be nice if she could join us in Koper for a day. The best I could come up with is to take the train from Venice to Trieste (called Trst in Slovenian). The website is http://www.trenitalia.com. The journey takes anywhere from 2 to 2 1/2 hours depending on which train you take and costs from 10 to 15 euros second class. From Trieste the only option on a Sunday--the day the VOS is in port--is to take a cab. There's no bus service (nor train) on Sundays, unfortunately. From what I've been reading, it seems that a taxi runs about $30 or more each way.

Thanks, dln929. We are planning the Oct 08 sailing, will it be the same sailing as you? If there is limited option in Sunday, may be I can tell my friend to go there on Saturday, do you think it will make any difference?

Thanks, dln929. We are planning the Oct 08 sailing, will it be the same sailing as you? If there is limited option in Sunday, may be I can tell my friend to go there on Saturday, do you think it will make any difference?

You're on the same ship as us! (take a look at the Meet & Mingle roll call; we have enough people signed up for a party :D).

We're in port on the day of the Barcolana Regatta. http://www.barcolana.it/ It should be spectacular to see! Looking at the race map on the website, we may even be able to see some of it from the ship's deck (I hope).

If your friend travels on a Saturday it will be easy enough to take the train to Trieste and then a bus right into Koper. From everything I've read they seem to run fairly regularly on every day of the week except the day the Voyager is there!!! That would entail an overnight in a hotel, though. Because of the regatta, it might be easier to find a hotel in Koper rather than at Trieste.

Thank you soooooo much for your info again, dln929. Ok, I will take a look at the roll call. Hope to see you at the party. I think all the people in this board are very helpful and nice. Thanks again!

Archived