"New" pre-existing condition - TravelGuard

To date, we have purchased TravelGuard insurance to cover the amount of money spent on our cruise - deposit, etc. We have done so within the 14 day period so that pre-existing conditions are covered for my DH. Unfortunately, I have just been diagnosed with a condition that could keep us from sailing in October 2011. Our final payment is due mid-July 2011 and we will, of course, pay the additional premium to cover the total cost of our cruise within the 14 days to keep the pre-existing condition in force. I have confirmed with TravelGuard that we would be fully covered if we should have to cancel because of my health, but I am uncomfortable with their positive response. Does this sound correct and has anyone had any past experience? I will certainly re-confirm this with TravelGuard and request a written confirmation before the final cruise payment and insurance payment.

To date, we have purchased TravelGuard insurance to cover the amount of money spent on our cruise - deposit, etc. We have done so within the 14 day period so that pre-existing conditions are covered for my DH. Unfortunately, I have just been diagnosed with a condition that could keep us from sailing in October 2011. Our final payment is due mid-July 2011 and we will, of course, pay the additional premium to cover the total cost of our cruise within the 14 days to keep the pre-existing condition in force. I have confirmed with TravelGuard that we would be fully covered if we should have to cancel because of my health, but I am uncomfortable with their positive response. Does this sound correct and has anyone had any past experience? I will certainly re-confirm this with TravelGuard and request a written confirmation before the final cruise payment and insurance payment.

Yes, be sure to get the answers to your questions in writing.

It's almost impossible to get a straight "yes" or "no" answer to these types of questions from a travel insurer. The best you can expect is something like "should be covered" or "probably will be covered". The customer service reps are trained to never promise that any particular loss will be covered because clients have an annoying habit of not supplying all of the pertinent information when asking their questions. While this may not apply to your case it happens enough that it's usually company policy to NEVER tell someone that something will definitely be covered.

There is no reason why you should not be covered. The one piece of documentation I would make sure to secure is a statement that you were fit to travel as of the date you purchased your insurance.

And make sure you insure ALL non-refundable payments. If you pre-pay your hotel, insure it. When you book the plane ticket, insure it (assuming it isn't refundable.) This is a requirement of the TG pre-ex waiver.

You won't get anything in writing out of TravelGuard much outside of a repetition of the policy language. Which is perfectly normal, as they can't make any commitments as to claim validity ahead of the actual exact circumstances of a claim.

If you do file a claim, you will of course need a specific statement from your doctor stating that you are medically unable to travel (due to necessary medical treatments, activity restrictions, whatever.) He/She will also need to fill out a one-page medical documentation form provided by TG. But really, as long as you have a plausible medical necessity, this is a pretty straightforward claim easy to process.

While you are at it, make sure you can get access to your credit card bills for the deposit, the final payment, and the insurance purchase; they will ask.

But here's to hoping none of it is necessary!

Archived