Salem Witch Museum

Irishvisions

We'll be in Boston from 8 am-8 pm and want to do the trolley tour but would also like to visit Salem and the Witch Museum. Is this possible? Will we have enough time to fit all this in? How far is Salem from Boston and what is the quickest/least expensive way to get there?

Thanks for your help!

We'll be in Boston from 8 am-8 pm and want to do the trolley tour but would also like to visit Salem and the Witch Museum. Is this possible? Will we have enough time to fit all this in? How far is Salem from Boston and what is the quickest/least expensive way to get there?

Thanks for your help!

Salem is about half hour to 45 min drive (depending on traffic) from Boston. I do not know the easiest or quickest way to get there but it is easy to drive right into the center of Salem (easy to get there) and there is a good rampage right in historic Salem with-in walking distance of many of the attractions.

Make sure you take a tour of the House of Seven Gables & walk through the Cemetery. stroll the streets and check out the shops have a nice lunch. The Witch Museum is eh.... okay. But there is a museum where they do reenactments of the witch trials where the audience is involved-a great stop.

I've been in Salem on Halloween and it is like Carnival...open houses, folks dressed up, bands, spook houses and every type of character you can imagine. They close off streets and sell beer out of kegs and bus in the college kids.

Thanks katya4 for the information. Are there any other hot spots in Salem that would be worth seeing? Anything else related to the witch trials other than the museum? Just curious if it's worth the drive there since we'll also be using the trolley to tour Boston.

Please read the tripadvisor reviews of the Salem Witch Museum - they are not good. I think you'd be disappointed if you went all the way out to Salem just to see it. Salem is difficult to get to - the ferry and train schedules are limited - it would take you most of the day to get out there, tour and get back. The trolley will offer you a wider choice of places to see. What day of the week will you be in Boston?

• 2 weeks later...
Please read the tripadvisor reviews of the Salem Witch Museum - they are not good. I think you'd be disappointed if you went all the way out to Salem just to see it>>

Salem Witch Museum is a total joke, expensive and they should be ashamed to charge people to go in. It's just a dark room with lights put on wooden type scenes and canned voice overs. Horrible!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, I was scammed into that last Year, it is a tourist trap!

quote=cat888;29912914]

Please read the tripadvisor reviews of the Salem Witch Museum - they are not good. I think you'd be disappointed if you went all the way out to Salem just to see it>>

Salem Witch Museum is a total joke, expensive and they should be ashamed to charge people to go in. It's just a dark room with lights put on wooden type scenes and canned voice overs. Horrible!

• 1 month later...

Went to Salem Witch Museum Aug. '11 on a Princess tour. Witch museum is 2 rooms with a little 10 minute "show" in each one. Even the gift shop was a disappointment. First room is accessible to a scooter via an elevated lift. Second room -- lift does not fit a scooter -- possibly a wheelchair as it can be angled more. Definitely not worth the problem of getting in there and museum location is about 5 blocks away from main shopping boutique area.

However, shopping around the area is quite lovely -- many fun, unique gift shops on the Wharf (about 5 blocks away from museum). Nice restaurants too -- would go to the area just for that. Vicki:)

Archived